Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stupid move of the year

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I got bitten today by a stupid move. The viewfinder on my K10 went all wonky. I stupidly opened the camera to see what was going on. The focus screen had unlatched. I always open the camera mount down to keep the dust out .... That is - or rather - was the new LL-60 screen I got a month ago after agonizing over it. The one that makes my 400 and 100 meter correctly. The one that costs $50 or so. The one that is at the bottom of Chinook Lake, Alberta. The one I have to order again from Japan.

06-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Divine intervention for you to consider the new K-7?
06-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Igilligan

Sorry Charlie

Albert, that sucks... you were lovin' that screen.
06-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I am sorry for your agony but would like to take this opportunity to ask where you order the screen from as I am looking for a good source. Also looking for threads to see if the metering effect is as good on the K20 as the K10.

So....how deep is this lake where it fell?

06-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I am sorry for your agony but would like to take this opportunity to ask where you order the screen from as I am looking for a good source. Also looking for threads to see if the metering effect is as good on the K20 as the K10.

So....how deep is this lake where it fell?
Here is the store where I just paid for the replacement screen. US$53.99 including shipping. eBay My World - japan-world-store All the reports I have seen lump the K10 and K20 together for this exposure problem.

The lake isn't all that deep - max about 10 metres - but I don't know how I would find a 16x24mm piece of clear plastic.

Thanks to everyone for their sympathy. I appreciate it.
06-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sucks for sure...

BUT

If this is your worst mistake of 09, be thankful
06-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bummer but I had a tripod tumble which beats that by a mile. I guess the difference is that this is unusual for you whereas stupid moves are a way of life for me ;~)

06-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Here is the store where I just paid for the replacement screen. US$53.99 including shipping. eBay My World - japan-world-store All the reports I have seen lump the K10 and K20 together for this exposure problem.

The lake isn't all that deep - max about 10 metres - but I don't know how I would find a 16x24mm piece of clear plastic.

Canada - Thank you for the link. I will go back and pull up the K10 reports.

My question about the lake was an attempt at humor of course...unless one of your many friends in the forum takes it as encouragement for THEM to don the SCUBA and find it for you.

Lee
06-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pointstores Quote
Could be worse I dropped my wifes camera and passport into a lake while we were on holidays abroad last month. You can imagine how much trouble that caused and fifty dollars was far from fixing it.
I know I over-reacted to the "magnitude" of the problem, but not to the stupidity on my part. Why on earth did I ever take the lens off with the camera mount down! I knew the problem was in the viewing system - I could see it!!!!

I really sympathize with your rather more significant accident. On holiday, yet. How did you get through the rest of the holidays?
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Canada - Thank you for the link. I will go back and pull up the K10 reports.

My question about the lake was an attempt at humor of course...unless one of your many friends in the forum takes it as encouragement for THEM to don the SCUBA and find it for you.

Lee
Wow! If one of those scuba guys can actually find it (or even try) I will drive them personally to where I was when I took the lens off.
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow! If one of those scuba guys can actually find it (or even try) I will drive them personally to where I was when I took the lens off.
Sorry about your loss; but yours is an easy fix.

Last night I was photographing a macro shot for a forum member as a suggestion when I became distracted by the TV behind me and DROPPED my fully loaded K10D (grip, 70-300 lens) as I turned to look. This is the second time; the first time resulted in a cracked viewfinder. The camera dropped about two feet as I was kneeling at my dresser for the shot. But damn! It hit the carpeted floor with a thud! I think it fell on the grip; I was semi-dreaming in horror when it happened.

Camera seems ok for now...........

I gave a short test. I may have been lucky, but I have yet to see............
06-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Sorry about your loss; but yours is an easy fix.

Last night I was photographing a macro shot for a forum member as a suggestion when I became distracted by the TV behind me and DROPPED my fully loaded K10D (grip, 70-300 lens) as I turned to look. This is the second time; the first time resulted in a cracked viewfinder. The camera dropped about two feet as I was kneeling at my dresser for the shot. But damn! It hit the carpeted floor with a thud! I think it fell on the grip; I was semi-dreaming in horror when it happened.

Camera seems ok for now...........

I gave a short test. I may have been lucky, but I have yet to see............
Hi, Rob. The original post was more a comment on my stupidity than anything else. The lost is not significant in the real world. I did come home with four (4) images - none worth keeping.

I've hit the carpet with the K10 a couple of times myself, luckily with apparently no damage whatsoever. I am considerably more careful these days. I love that rig more than I should. I am finding the K10 matches my KX for lovability. It's a real workhorse for me. The SF-1 got me a winder, but just did not seem to be as desirable, although it was as reliable as the two other Pentaxes I had before it. The MZ-S is a reliable and marvellous little machine, but was always a machine. The K10 is becoming an extension of my eye as the KX was and as my original Asahi Pentax was. It is strange what we can get hooked on, is it not?
06-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi, Rob. The original post was more a comment on my stupidity than anything else. The lost is not significant in the real world. I did come home with four (4) images - none worth keeping.

I've hit the carpet with the K10 a couple of times myself, luckily with apparently no damage whatsoever. I am considerably more careful these days. I love that rig more than I should. I am finding the K10 matches my KX for lovability. It's a real workhorse for me. The SF-1 got me a winder, but just did not seem to be as desirable, although it was as reliable as the two other Pentaxes I had before it. The MZ-S is a reliable and marvellous little machine, but was always a machine. The K10 is becoming an extension of my eye as the KX was and as my original Asahi Pentax was. It is strange what we can get hooked on, is it not?
I am hooked on mine as you are yours!

That is why my K100DS travels with me a lot; if it gets lost, damaged or stolen, my big rig is still at the house.

Don't get me wrong, I love the little brother too! But I can't take pics unless I have a camera in my car with me ( I am in route sales, and use my car for my route).