Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Remove "PENTAX" Folder used by Pentax Photo Browser?

Pentax Photo Browser (version 3.10) is constantly creating a "PENTAX" folder in "My Documents" even though I've selected another folder for the program to use. Since I already have more than enough folders in the "My Documents" folder, I certainly do not want this additional folder added. Has anyone figured out a way to turn off or otherwise eliminate this folder?

By the way, it took some time to decide where to post this question. There is another forum which mentions software, but seems oriented towards 3rd party software. In the end, I decided this forum was best since most Pentax DSLR owners have at least some version of this software. If this turns out to be the wrong location, I'm sure one of the administrators will rightfully whack my knuckles and move it elsewhere.

stewart

04-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you cannot remove it or rather it continuously regenerates and that's a bother, try making it invisible.
04-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
If you cannot remove it or rather it continuously regenerates and that's a bother, try making it invisible.
I ended up hiding the folder, but was hoping for a more elegant solution - like a choice. When I get time, I may hunt through the registry to see if I can fix it there by pointing to another folder or that folder in another location. Thanks for the reply.

stewart
04-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't even bother using the bundled software. I've never yet seen a bundled software product that wasn't annoying or offensive in some way. And one of the more annoying things is to be pushy like that.

I use IrfanView (freeware) to browse photos. ThumbsPlus (Thumbnails - ThumbsPlus Version 7) is also a good program, if you care to pay for it.

04-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I don't even bother using the bundled software. I've never yet seen a bundled software product that wasn't annoying or offensive in some way. And one of the more annoying things is to be pushy like that.
I have to admit this is the very first time I've installed software bundled with a camera. In the past, with previous cameras, I've simply used a card reader with Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop CS (or Elements, or LE), or something similar.

I did it this time only because I wanted Photo Laboratory for editing RAW files. Sadly, I also ended up with Photo Browser at the same time (saw no option to install or uninstall individually). And the Browser is the one creating the "PENTAX" folder. Remote Assistant (which I want to play with), however, was available separately, but probably won't be in the future.

stewart
04-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Try Stepok's RAW converter. It's free:

Stepok.com - Free Raw Converter and Importer for all cameras