Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wildlife opportunities in eastern US?

I've always been into nature photography, but lately I've become obsessed with animals.

I'm hoping to get some suggestions, or favorite places, from people that don't mind sharing.

Close to North Carolina would be great, but not necessary. And a good place to find seals would be really, really, nice.

Thanks!

06-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know of any places on the east coast where you can't find wildlife.

I remember reading a story a few years ago about a red-tail hawk's nest on a building in New York City. (I think it was a red-tail, might have been a different hawk, though). Some residents of the building wanted the nest removed, fearing damage to the building but other residents led by Mary Tyler Moore favored leaving the nest alone.

True story.
06-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I don't know of any places on the east coast where you can't find wildlife.
I don't know the area that well, but I think you're right. I do hate driving for hours in hopes of stumbling upon something though.
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New York City is a little rough around the edges. And that's just the way I like it!

Jamaica Bay photos by Johann Schumacher

Chris

06-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
New York City is a little rough around the edges. And that's just the way I like it!

Jamaica Bay photos by Johann Schumacher

Chris
Very nice. Two different world there for sure.
06-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to a state or national park, national forest or someone with private property. Then rely on shoe leather express to get yourself to where the critters are. It is like hunting but with a camera instead of a gun.
06-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

One way (at least for birds) is to hook up with the local Audubon society or similar group. Locally have some some great wild life reservations and there some some people who really keep track of all the bird sightings. For example one of the places that my wife and I frequent a lot is the Parker River National Wildlife refuge. There is a person who keeps a running list of things he has seen as well as others.

Recent Bird Sightings from Plum Island

If you can find some dedicated people like this in your area at least you'll know the right places to look. Don't be surprised though that once you get there actually finding the birds (and finding them at a good distance for photography) is a challenge.

John

06-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Go to a state or national park, national forest or someone with private property. Then rely on shoe leather express to get yourself to where the critters are. It is like hunting but with a camera instead of a gun.
Good advice. Thanks.
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
One way (at least for birds) is to hook up with the local Audubon society or similar group. Locally have some some great wild life reservations and there some some people who really keep track of all the bird sightings. For example one of the places that my wife and I frequent a lot is the Parker River National Wildlife refuge. There is a person who keeps a running list of things he has seen as well as others.

Recent Bird Sightings from Plum Island

If you can find some dedicated people like this in your area at least you'll know the right places to look. Don't be surprised though that once you get there actually finding the birds (and finding them at a good distance for photography) is a challenge.

John
That's very good advice. Thanks also.

It seems unless it's a fat duck or a goose accustomed to people, I have no luck with photographing birds whatsoever. I certainly appreciate those that can though.

You also got my me thinking with your post. And... I think I found my next little adventure: Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge

Hopefully it's worthwhile.
06-16-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I don't know the area that well, but I think you're right. I do hate driving for hours in hopes of stumbling upon something though.
Didn't realize you weren't native to the east coast, sorry. Blue's advice is great. Another thing you can try is to google nature photography groups in your area.
06-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Didn't realize you weren't native to the east coast, sorry. Blue's advice is great. Another thing you can try is to google nature photography groups in your area.
No problem. I was hoping to get some easy "can't miss" tips, but I appreciate every suggestion so far.
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking for wildlife could be as easy as taking a different way to/from work.
I drove the same way to work for 4 years and decided to try and find a better (faster) way home, trying my best to avoid highways.
I horribly failed in this, but found 3 ponds, 1 resiviour and a small state park/historical site. (Plus 5 canadian geese families, 2 ducks, 3 deer paths and 2 bald eagles).
06-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

You might want to consider Assateague Island for the wild horses. Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)
06-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
Looking for wildlife could be as easy as taking a different way to/from work.
I drove the same way to work for 4 years and decided to try and find a better (faster) way home, trying my best to avoid highways.
I horribly failed in this, but found 3 ponds, 1 resiviour and a small state park/historical site. (Plus 5 canadian geese families, 2 ducks, 3 deer paths and 2 bald eagles).
I would be happy to see a squirrel around here. I'm kidding, there are actually quite a few small parks in the area that I know I overlook. Thanks for the advice.
06-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
You might want to consider Assateague Island for the wild horses. Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Now that I could handle. I don't know when, but I am going. Thank you!