Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
Inactive Account

To to op: I very admire how consequently you approach street photography and whish I would be half as consequent.

Concerning IQ of the Oly I can assure you that it will be "good enough". There is actually no difference in real world pictures between APS-C and 4/3, all that brabbling is sensor size myth. I am mostly a reader on this forum, but I get the impression that it is getting worse and worse in terms of brand worship. The comments above about the "bad" quality of 4/3 are plain nonsense and uninformed.

Btw. even if the IQ would be worse it should be no problem for your kind of work. Gary Winogrand didn't shoot Leicas for IQ (he would have used a larger format then), but for size and shooting style. So forget this tripod using pixel peeping gearheads and their reiterations of too old fairy tales.

06-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by ratjadi Quote
...So forget this tripod using pixel peeping gearheads and their reiterations of too old fairy tales.
Looks like we are a little bossy dont we ?

Uhm... you are fairly new here but dont let that fool you thinking that your arguments are any original. Let me see:

Using famous photographers name to make ad hominem points....check

Using broad generalizations and managing to disrespect most of the members of this forum in a lame attempt to show yourself as an authoritative opinion that should be listened...check

Merge different points from different people at different times to make a twisted conclusion....check

I would recommend you to calm down your tone if you dont want me to keep adding things to the "how to show like an ignorant-jerk-troll on the internet"

Dont sweat it, we have all been there in one way or another
06-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I saw the samples of the oly today and loved it!

then I saw the pictures I took this weekend with my K20D and loved it as well.

the K20D is in my hand now so I am not in a hurry, I still admire Olympus for making a great little camera.

I already know that in one point this year or next I will have to get an evil camera.. lets see what the rumors from the Pentax office will bring.
06-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
...Honestly? No offense, but this is not 2003 anymore.
For top IQ, the sensor in my K10 is not that useable over Iso 400. For Pro grade work Marc L. only went with Iso 640, when there were no other possibility. And even then, he was not really satisfied.

You should know that James/Roentarre has extensive experience with almost all 35 mm camera systems. And this includes Eos 5D, Eos 1Ds series, and various Olympus lenses and cams. As I recalled, he really liked the 150/2, and Leica 25/1.4, as well as others. More can be seen on his websites.

Edit
here is just one example from him :
Home Page
(From page 10 and back, there are a lot of real world samples from Olympus system lenses)

I found an overview of lenses for Oly system. I think what they really need, are compact high quality primes. They got some great zooms, but lack more fast primes
wrotniak.net: Lenses for Olympus E-System Cameras

The Zuiko pancake was built to be a cheap alternative for a kit solution :
Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
This is where we're lucky in Pentax land, as limiteds are more expensive, but all high grade

I really liked the size and feel of the E-510. It is gonna be interesting to see what they bring to the table with a follow-up to the E3. I was a bit disappointed that the E30 wasn't sealed.
Regarding the K7, I think I'm gonna like the very silent shutter.

There will be pros and cons with all systems

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Looks like we are a little bossy dont we ?

Uhm... you are fairly new here but dont let that fool you thinking that your arguments are any original. Let me see:

Using famous photographers name to make ad hominem points....check

Using broad generalizations and managing to disrespect most of the members of this forum in a lame attempt to show yourself as an authoritative opinion that should be listened...check

Merge different points from different people at different times to make a twisted conclusion....check

I would recommend you to calm down your tone if you dont want me to keep adding things to the "how to show like an ignorant-jerk-troll on the internet"

Dont sweat it, we have all been there in one way or another
I know I have :ugh:

Last edited by Jonson PL; 06-17-2009 at 02:50 AM.
06-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I suggest not to sell Pentax equipment.

Olympus seems to struggle with the direction of its camera making. Micro four thirds seem to be their current saviour strategy at the moment. The worst is that there is repeatedly maneuvres to ditch different olympus mounts at various times.

The noise performance in high ISO setting is rather troublesome and I cannot see any immediate improvement in the short time.

The olympus pancake 25mm is really not well constructed and the 2X crop factor really makes it an ordinary 50mm reach.

Olympus pro range lenses are very nice but overpriced in deed. The whole issue lies in the problem of kodak sensor where ISO above 200 is not really usable.
Where have you been? Oly stuck with one mount (OM) all the way until the digital age, when they started 4/3, and have stuck with that and added m4/3. Ditching? Where?

As far as an immediate improvement in the high ISO noise, well, it's here. The more recent 4/3 sensors have been not bad at all, but the E-P1 samples floating around are nothing short of excellent.

I never used the kodak sensor Olys, but I would honestly agree that my old E-330 (first generation panasonic sensor) was not usable above ISO 200. However, that was then. The current crop is vastly improved and the E-P1 seems to be even a step ahead of them.

If APS-C image quality is adequate for you, then modern 4/3 image quality should be perfectly adequate for you. I don't know if the E-P1 will match up to my K20D (I hope not ) but the newer 12mp Olys were honestly getting pretty darn close...

Also: regarding pancake primes, the Oly 25mm really isn't much of a pancake on the E-P1 thanks to the necessary adapter, but the new 17mm pancake is a 34mm equivalent and the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (40mm equivalent) is on the blocks. In a recent interview, an official stated that more prime lenses for m4/3 are also on their way. Seems like a useful and growing option to me.
06-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #21
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
spend less time looking at gear and more time using what you have. problem solved.
Yeah, that's what people often advise. I used to feel almost guilty about how much time I spend reading about cameras and photography or just playing with my camera and how little actually shooting. Then I realized that if that gives me some pleasure, it's actually quite as good a hobby as photo shooting itself. Problem solved.

That Olympus seems very nice and compact IMO. If Pentax made a slightly bigger body with this functionality, K mount and APS-C (and I could afford some limited pancakes), I'd definitely get one.
06-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #22
emr

The more I think about this camera, the more I want one too! While K-7's most likely a brilliant new DSLR, I think that Olympus scores big time with their E-P1. And the price doesn't seem that bad either. One of the web / b&m stores I usually buy stuff from has now a Olympus PEN E-P1 Double Lens KIT (ZUIKO 17mm + ZUIKO 14-42mm) for pre-order at 950 euros while just a single lens like DA* 16-50mm for my K20D is nearly the same (about 890 euros).

06-20-2009, 01:41 AM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Yeah, that's what people often advise. I used to feel almost guilty about how much time I spend reading about cameras and photography or just playing with my camera and how little actually shooting. Then I realized that if that gives me some pleasure, it's actually quite as good a hobby as photo shooting itself. Problem solved.

Two hobbies with the same gear - bargain!
06-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am still sticking to my point ... street shooting demands a very specific kit
small camera , wide fast small lens

I am having hard time to build this kit with pentax ..thou the 21mm LTD probably the closest lens in the current slr world
06-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I am still sticking to my point ... street shooting demands a very specific kit
small camera , wide fast small lens

I am having hard time to build this kit with pentax ..thou the 21mm LTD probably the closest lens in the current slr world
Redpigeons:

I'm probably pre-ordering the EP-1. For me, portability and size is paramount, above image quality. In general, I have much more fun taking pictures with my Canon P&S (SD870) versus my K100D + FA35. I debated endlessly between the FA35 and the DA21, btw.

What hasn't been mentioned is AF speed. Rumor has it that this is weak in the EP-1. If this is unusable, all bets are off.
06-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Actually, AF speed has been mentioned, extensively.

Verdict is, with production firmware, 14-42 is pretty slow (average p+s speed), 17mm pancake is a fair bit better, and all the panasonic m4/3 lenses are quite a bit quicker, for whatever reason.

This is perfectly pleasing to me, as the lens I'm really most interested in is that Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake... and then maybe the 7-14, with hopes for a longer pancake in the future.
06-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Where have you been? Oly stuck with one mount (OM) all the way until the digital age, when they started 4/3, and have stuck with that and added m4/3. Ditching? Where?

Well first they had screw thread like Pentax ( Olympus FTL). Then they had OM. Then they had the weird AF OM lenses that wouldn't fit OM manual mount cameras. They sure ditched that lens mount after a model or two. Using the 4/3 with OM adapters is a pain.

Love Olympus (have many, many highend OM lenses & a few 4/3 bodies). Even like the looks of the new Ep1. But it has no working viewfinder. Something the original Pen has in spades (need to shoot mine).
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #19 WINNERS in compact camera forum. Enter #20. Any brand camera. Enter now!
06-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I think it looks intriguing, and I'd like to see Olympus do well... Just a happy thing to see the Pen riding again, (though I'm a little disappointed they didn't put an Old English D on there. )

Considering I don't care for EVFs, it's pretty academic, but I think the 2x crop factor would really be the deal-killer, particularly when it comes to adapting older lenses, ...it'd be interesting to see what Samsung comes up with, or what happens when these types of cameras are really ready for prime-time.
06-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Pentax if not FF give me 20mm 2.8 pancake for now
So, the lust for (Pentax) FF has turned you go micro 4/3 which is even smaller?
The new Olympus is sexy btw. Buy it as a P&S, not another DSLR.
06-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Well first they had screw thread like Pentax ( Olympus FTL). Then they had OM. Then they had the weird AF OM lenses that wouldn't fit OM manual mount cameras. They sure ditched that lens mount after a model or two. Using the 4/3 with OM adapters is a pain.

Love Olympus (have many, many highend OM lenses & a few 4/3 bodies). Even like the looks of the new Ep1. But it has no working viewfinder. Something the original Pen has in spades (need to shoot mine).
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #19 WINNERS in compact camera forum. Enter #20. Any brand camera. Enter now!
Those mounts were very short-lived and limited in scope. If they had been more popular with consumers they might have survived, but if no one really buys into them, what's the harm of cutting them? It's not anything on the scale of Canon ditching the FD mount.

While you may find the use of OM lenses with adapter to be a pain, a lot of people do it quite happily. I did for a while. No harder than using a pentax with screw-mount lenses.

If you see the VF as a necessity, there's some hope floating around that the E-P1's successor will sport an EVF based on some recent tech that's been floating around the web.