Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #1

I just interviewed Pentax pro Kerrick James

Hey Pentax Forums folks!

I just had a chance to chat on the TechTock podcast with Pentax pro Kerrick James all about his photography and his thoughts on the Pentax K-7 DSLR, and he has some cool sample shots from the art filters as well in that link.

His work is amazing, and he's great to listen to!
His list of glass is amazing!

Hope y'all enjoy it! I'm always looking for great, inspiring photographers to interview, so if you've got a lead, let me know!

Jack Howard
techtock.adorama.com

06-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now I am even MORE excited about the K-7!!!!
06-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

some inspiring photography on his website. thanks for pointing this guy out
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jack,

It's a great interview and thanks for the quick synopsis/sample shots! I've always admired Kerrick's imagery.

The K-7 is on the buy list - I am most certain that this is the camera I've been holding out on from Pentax and will suit my needs quite well.

Thanks,
Marc

06-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Jack, and thanks to Adorama. Nice for Pentax to get that kind of publicity. And although I've heard of Kerrick before, I wasn't particular familiar with his work. Looking forward to studying his shots. What a friendly, helpful guy he is!
06-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting and letting us know about Kerrick James, he sure has some awesome photos on his site.
06-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Dan
Pentaxian

Jack,

Thanks for the link--that's a very interesting interview. Kerrick James provides some terrific advice. I also really enjoyed your blog article on the HDR features of the K-7. If anyone is interested, here's the link to Jack's article:

Adorama Learning Center - The Pentax K-7: The era of in-camera High Dynamic Range Imaging has arrived!

For those who don't know, Jack has written some well regarded books on HDR imaging. This shows in his review of the K-7's capabilities, which is unusually thoughtful.

Cheers,

Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by TechTock Quote
Hey Pentax Forums folks!

I just had a chance to chat on the TechTock podcast with Pentax pro Kerrick James all about his photography and his thoughts on the Pentax K-7 DSLR, and he has some cool sample shots from the art filters as well in that link.

Hope y'all enjoy it! I'm always looking for great, inspiring photographers to interview, so if you've got a lead, let me know!

Jack Howard
techtock.adorama.com

06-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Interesting to learn from podcast

that the K20D is an accepted camera with Getty Images.
06-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #9

Those are some great photos, I hadn't heard of him yet but thanks for letting us know about him and his amazing work, quite inspiring!
06-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
that the K20D is an accepted camera with Getty Images.
Yeah, turns out the list is a bit more inclusive than you'd think:

QuoteOriginally posted by http://contributors.gettyimages.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=996:
Our panel of in-house experts regularly reviews digital equipment to help provide insight into a range of cameras that are capable of producing acceptable images for submission to Getty Images. Where you see links below we’ve provided our review of how the equipment performed.

At present, the following cameras are recommended for submissions to Getty Images, but there may be other professional-quality digital SLRs using RAW format that may also produce acceptable files.

Canon:
EOS 1DS 'Mark III'
EOS 1DS 'Mark II'
EOS 1DS
5D Mark 2
5D
EOS 1D 'Mark III'
EOS 1D 'Mark II'
1D Mk2n
1D Mk 1
EOS 40D
EOS 30D

Nikon:
D90
D700
D3X
D300
D200
D3
D2Xs
D2X

Leica:
M8.2
M8

Olympus:
E3

Pentax: K20D

Sony: A900

All medium format backs (i.e. Phase One and Leaf) produce sufficiently high quality images to fall within Getty Images’ standard submission requirements.
06-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm kind of surprised that they include the Canon 30D or Nikon D200 on the basis of image quality, but not cameras like the K10D or D80, with very similar but even somewhat improved sensors, and cameras like the K2000 or D60 which used the same sensors as the ones I mentioned, and then their more recent successors... or the A700 when they include the D300 with almost identical sensor and nearly indistinguishable results with the updated firmware, or the D90 and not the D5000, etc... I mean, any of the last 4 canon rebels (and really any current DSLR at any price point) would handily outdo the Canon 1D mkI on the basis of image quality, yet it's on the list and they aren't. These inconsistencies lead me to feel that Getty is not necessarily a good standard on which to base one's opinions on the image quality of different cameras. It's nice that the K20D is on there, but really, what does that mean anyway?

Last edited by er1kksen; 06-19-2009 at 04:54 AM. Reason: grammar
06-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

K7 seems like a fine camera and I pray with no delayed in launch day!
06-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just listened to the podcast yesterday and it's very informative and entertaining. I like Kerrick's work, and it's nice to hear him speak. Makes me want to go on one of the cruises he and Pentax are working on.
06-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kerrick's another great ambassador for Pentax.
His work is astounding.
The examples of K-7's HDR capabilities are fantastic!
There's a lot to look forward to with this cam...
06-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TechTock Quote
Hey Pentax Forums folks!

Jack Howard
techtock.adorama.com
Jack,
Thanks for a excellent interview and Kerrick, what a great find!!!!!!!