Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
EXIF Info Question

Is there any place in a file's EXIF data where the focus distance would be stored? Not the focal length of the lens, but actual distance the lens was focused at when the photo was taken, such as 20 ft, etc.?

06-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Forum Member

There is a metadata field for subject distance. See below as the last entry under "image specific properties."

06-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

How about the lens used?

I'm constantly taking notes of the lens I use for photos, but it's tedious and I'll admit sometimes I don't do it until a few days later and I try to go from memory - which seems to be fading...
06-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out PhotoME. It will show you all of the EXIF fields.

I use Lightroom, and it reads the focal length from the EXIF information.

It's in the Camera tab, under Focal Length. It also shows in the Overview when you open the file.

06-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use Lightroom and I also have PhotoMe. I guess my question might be a bit confusing. I'm trying to figure out if there is EXIF data recorded that tells the distance of focus... or maybe more specifically where the focus ring is set to (infinity, 12 feet, 7, feet, etc.).

I'm not sure if it's even recorded or if there is a means to record it.
06-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I use Lightroom and I also have PhotoMe. I guess my question might be a bit confusing. I'm trying to figure out if there is EXIF data recorded that tells the distance of focus... or maybe more specifically where the focus ring is set to (infinity, 12 feet, 7, feet, etc.).

I don't think so, at least not directly.

In the Lens Info section of the Camera tab, there is a field called Distance Code Data (LC2). You might be able to figure out what the code means.
06-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In PhotoMe there is a field called "subject distance range" (last field of Camera section) that seems to report a couple of very broad settings (Macro, Close View, Distant view & Unknown). Seems to be appropiate based upon looking at various images but is very general. The field Dave mentions (Distance Code Data) seems to be more detailed but is not a direct measurement and needs to be interpreted.

It would be nice to see accurately what the camera decided was the focus distance.

06-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote

It can be recorded in the EXIF header, if the camera is capable of recording it.
According to the EXIF specifications, there is a field called SubjectDistance.
Here is the original text:

SubjectDistance
The distance to the subject, given in meters. Note that if the numerator of the recorded value is FFFFFFFF.H,
Infinity shall be indicated; and if the numerator is 0, Distance unknown shall be indicated.
Tag = 37382 (9206.H)
Type = RATIONAL
Count = 1
Default = none

SubjectLocation is something different, it is a vector that points to the subject relative witin the picture. See the original text:

SubjectLocation
Indicates the location of the main subject in the scene. The value of this tag represents the pixel at the center of the
main subject relative to the left edge, prior to rotation processing as per the Rotation tag. The first value indicates
the X column number and second indicates the Y row number.
Tag = 41492 (A214.H)
Type = SHORT
Count = 2
Default = none
When a camera records the main subject location, it is recommended that the SubjectArea tag be used instead of this tag.

- Bert