Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #1

facial lines

I recently had a shooting disaster. I added 10 years to a woman's face.
The images required a lot of Photoshop time to save.

Somebody please tell me how to avoid that again. For one thing it was a sunny day and the sun was overpowering my efforts at fill flash.

I was told by a questionable source that underexposing by an F stop helps minimize facial lines. Is there any truth to that?

I've also considered digging out a soft focus filter I used to use with a film camera and trying that.

Has anyone else encountered this?

How can I avoid it happening again?

06-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a soft look, use soft light. Put the subject in shade. Shoot with the contrast and sharpness settings turned down a notch or two from where you normally have them.
If you are using Photoshop, there are several very easy tools for fixing skin problems.
06-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use lighting from straight on to her face. If the light is at an angle to her face, the shadows are going to accentuate the lines.
06-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Like Wheatfield says...
Hard light yields hard images
Direct fill flash can make things even worse. Wrinkles are canyons in the skin and the flash just introduces a second set of hard shadows to the various cliffs and ledges.

A softening filter can help as can appropriate cosmetics and a shallow DOF. You can also decrease contrast and apply softening in PP. But even with these tools, the best approach is to avoid hard light. Shade, north-facing windows, cloudy days...all of these are your friends.

Steve

(Assuming you want a natural affect. If not, you can always go the "glamour shot" route...pancake makeup and high-key technique makes all the wrinkles, blemishes, noses, etc. simply disappear!)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-21-2009 at 10:13 PM.
06-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good suggestions from everybody, and if all else fails, here's a very nice PS action that can be used to soften wrinkles.

CoffeeShop Free PS/PSE Actions!: CoffeeShop PowderRoom Free Action Is Here!
06-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
one thing I suggest is for you, is to get a Reflector,
doesn't have to be expensive and gives you quite a nice solution for softening and filling of light..
06-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Like Wheatfield says...
Hard light yields hard images
Direct fill flash can make things even worse. Wrinkles are canyons in the skin and the flash just introduces a second set of hard shadows to the various cliffs and ledges.
How do you figure that direct light will make things worse? The light will be coming at the wrinkles from straight on, filling them with light, and softening any shadows that form from light coming in at an angle.

06-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
D. All of the above

Soft light, using shaded areas, reflectors......whatever it takes to fill and/or soften those shadows is a good thing. Try to get it right in the camera and use PP if you have to.
06-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
How do you figure that direct light will make things worse? The light will be coming at the wrinkles from straight on, filling them with light, and softening any shadows that form from light coming in at an angle.
The problem with direct flash on camera isn't so much where it is coming from as the size of the light source. Soft light comes from large light sources, on camera flash is very close to being a point source, even with those rubber doll diffusers, it is still a relatively small light source.
Small light source = hard light = ugly light.