Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take the glass out of a cheap filter and replace it with window screen or hard ware cloth to get a star-burst effect on lights.

06-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Take the glass out of a cheap filter and replace it with window screen or hard ware cloth to get a star-burst effect on lights.
Go really cheap and use an elastic band with some black nylon ladies stockings. When a lady you know gets a run in one, just cut out a couple of pieces. Black because it won't give you sepia coloured photos.
06-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
That does work very well.
However, leave the centre clear for best results.

Mickey
I forgot that part!! thanks!!
06-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Tips and Tricks from Phil

I had to chime in on this one. As I stiil use all of these to this day.

My personal fave is to use nose grease (y'know from the side of yer nose) on an old filter. It is more handy and less messy than vaseline and comes off easily with a microfibre cloth.

If that isn't what your looking for then just breath on the filter and wait till the breath evaporates enough for the look your after. Take the shot.

Also, a sheet of thick mylar (emergency blankets are made of this but is rather thin) is a wonderful material to have in your bag for a temp ND filter or for relecting some filll light.

One more? Take a white balloon and fasten/hold it to the front of your off-cam flash for an easy way to increase the size and softness of your light source.

As for a tripod tip...I usually hang my bag/backpack from a snap I put on the centre post to make the tripod way more stable. I'm sure I have more...TTFN.

06-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Or, in a pinch, the palm of your hand. I still use these methods, as I not only shoot manually with my old Takumars on my DSLR, metering with a Gossen Luna Pro, Super Pilot, & even the old "sunny sixteen" guidelines on occasion, but I still shoot with a variety of older, meterless fim cameras from the fifties (folders & a TLR).
I use to meter off the palm of my hand with my Sekonic light Meters (l-428 and I can't recall the other one..but it was selium powered. I also used the little paper in the Kodak film box that said sunny day....1/500th of a second than the F stop.
06-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lesmore - that's Sunny 16 at work! Just reverse the lookup to f/16 for bright sunny day, f/22 with snow/sand/water, f/11 with thin cloud, f/8 with average cloud, f/5.6 shade .....
06-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Lesmore - that's Sunny 16 at work! Just reverse the lookup to f/16 for bright sunny day, f/22 with snow/sand/water, f/11 with thin cloud, f/8 with average cloud, f/5.6 shade .....
That's right...and I forgot the F stops for snow/sand/water. I have a feeling Canada Rockies you go back as far as I do.

06-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That's right...and I forgot the F stops for snow/sand/water. I have a feeling Canada Rockies you go back as far as I do.
Or maybe even a little further. I'm a 1940 model myself, my first Pentax was a 1957 model and I bought it used in 1961. What me brand loyal? I've never seen a compelling reason to change.

The much maligned (except in Europe, of course) k10d I use just got me juried into an arts co-op locally with a pair of 16x24 photo on canvas gallery wraps. One image was the DA 12-24 at 12mm, the other was my M 400/5.6 + A 1.4X-S rear converter. Nothing like getting pats on the back for using a 30 year old lens on a one and a half year old camera using a 15 or 20 year old rear converter and a one and a half year old lens for the other.
06-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Or maybe even a little further. I'm a 1940 model myself, my first Pentax was a 1957 model and I bought it used in 1961. What me brand loyal? I've never seen a compelling reason to change.

The much maligned (except in Europe, of course) k10d I use just got me juried into an arts co-op locally with a pair of 16x24 photo on canvas gallery wraps. One image was the DA 12-24 at 12mm, the other was my M 400/5.6 + A 1.4X-S rear converter. Nothing like getting pats on the back for using a 30 year old lens on a one and a half year old camera using a 15 or 20 year old rear converter and a one and a half year old lens for the other.
I'm a 1949 model, born, raised and lived on the Prairie that whole time. Manitoba and Alberta...currently Mb. First Pentax...1968 S1a..in '68. I also have a K10D, find it excellent and see no reason to replace...very happy with it. Congrats on your success with your photography.
06-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote
I had to chime in on this one. As I stiil use all of these to this day.

My personal fave is to use nose grease (y'know from the side of yer nose) on an old filter. It is more handy and less messy than vaseline and comes off easily with a microfibre cloth.

If that isn't what your looking for then just breath on the filter and wait till the breath evaporates enough for the look your after. Take the shot.

Also, a sheet of thick mylar (emergency blankets are made of this but is rather thin) is a wonderful material to have in your bag for a temp ND filter or for relecting some filll light.

One more? Take a white balloon and fasten/hold it to the front of your off-cam flash for an easy way to increase the size and softness of your light source.

As for a tripod tip...I usually hang my bag/backpack from a snap I put on the centre post to make the tripod way more stable. I'm sure I have more...TTFN.
Oh, goodness!! hahahaha...hey whatever works and good tip!! Better than $200 for a SF filter fer criminy sakes!

I get reflector panels of only the best quality....silver and gold tone car window shades from the 99-cent store...that way there is never a time when I won't have them with me, I just keep 3-4 of them behind the seats in my pickup.

I also use the same screens as bounce cards and reflectors in my kludged together home studio. If you hunt you can find them in all many of surfaces, even colors. For black I just use the trust $0.96/can flat black spray paint from Walmart to paint one side. It really is a handy and inexpensive way to carry larger light modifiers with you pretty much at all times. Though realizing I forgot one or suddenly see I need one and have to trudge a mile back to the truck is, well, "frustrating".

I like the idea of carrying a couple of those "space/survival" blankets...I am going to have to find some. Those really fold away into nothing space wise. NICE TIP!! thanks.
06-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am really loving this thread...it even though I am nearly AARP age, I am relatively new to really taking photography seriously as a hobby. So I live reading the tips from those who have been shooting longer than I have been alive. There how does that one make ya feel? hehehehe....
06-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I like the idea of carrying a couple of those "space/survival" blankets...I am going to have to find some.
Check out the camping gear in any super center, walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc. In there camping gadgets department. They have small ones for those diehard campers who have or want everything. Though they probably aren't the high tech kind, they still might work.

I had a tip from a old photog when I was a young photog. Course this only works if you're shooting film. Nose grease will also cover a scratch in film.

btw, I love reading about all these tips. I knew most of them when I first started shooting, and had forgotten them over time. I'm also AARP age.
06-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #28
Inactive Account

To soften/diffuse the On Camera Flash of the K10D, I cut a slot in the side of a WHITE 35mm container and slip it over the top of the flash........works well.
06-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #29
Inactive Account

.....and I certainly qualify as an OLD DUDE.....1932 and still going strong.........first camera.... Rolleicord
06-24-2009, 02:24 AM   #30
smf
Pentaxian

A fishing vest from a discount store might work for you as a photo vest if pockets are big gear for the gear you want to carry.