Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #46
graphicgr8s

Always keep your ferrotype tins polished so you can get a real glossy print.

06-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Learn your equipment completely and use if often?

woof!
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Solarisation woot!!
06-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I know this sounds out there...but has anyone ever taken a Dremel tool to a filter to etch a sort of diffraction pattern onto a cheap filter to see if it can work?

If not, I might have to find a sale on a bunch of el cheapo filters and see what effects can be induced...I would figure, like the grease/vaseline/greasy nose substances a center portion larger enough for the focus and meter to work would be needed.

I dunno it sounds like fun.

Heck I was even thinking there is this spray paint you can buy at WallyWorld and other stores, it's from Krylon I believe, but it adds a frosting to a window so you can add privacy but let light into the room. I have even used it on the glass panels I use under items I am shooting to not only eliminate potential "double reflections" when the frosted side is faced down, but also to have a matte finish surface rather than a highly polished surface under an item...but it can be applied lightly and maybe make your own "soft" filter if done just right. You could use a round sticker to cover the center while applying the treatment...

OK, so I am sitting here with waaaay too much time on my hands...my fridge died last night BUT my K20D is OFD so I am waiting for the brown truck, screw the two weeks of groceries I bought yesterday afternoon!!

06-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #50
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The much maligned (except in Europe, of course) k10d I use ...
Sorry to sidetrack this great thread, but what's that all about?
06-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Always keep your ferrotype tins polished so you can get a real glossy print.
that one is very subtle...hehehe...yeah, polish them...use Wright's Metal & Chrome Polish to ensure keeping them pristine. snickersnicker...of course if you want to just "polish" the silver Simichrome would probably work as well...

EDIT: Oh, geeze, I thought you were joking...then I looked up care for ferrotypes and indeed keeping them polished really makes the images very dramatic and brings out the tones significantly. I know because I practiced on a couple of tin-types I have and it worked fine with some, yup, simichrome. I would add to graphicgr8s comment that no matter what research it first and use a NON-ABRASIVE true cream polish or whatever your research shows is best for your type of images!

Sorry to have thought you was joking when in fact you gave us a GREAT tip...d'oh!!

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-26-2009 at 07:06 PM.
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Check out the camping gear in any super center, walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc. In there camping gadgets department. They have small ones for those diehard campers who have or want everything. Though they probably aren't the high tech kind, they still might work.

I had a tip from a old photog when I was a young photog. Course this only works if you're shooting film. Nose grease will also cover a scratch in film.

btw, I love reading about all these tips. I knew most of them when I first started shooting, and had forgotten them over time. I'm also AARP age.
Oh, really? now THAT is one I never heard of before...neat!!

And like you I am finding these days how much I forget from my old HS photo classes. I did not discover them until my senior year, so I only could take two semesters, but our teacher was AWESOME. She knew so much and was so very cool, a true product of the 50s & 60s California ideals for sure (but she was teaching us in the late 70s)...we could wander into the class anytime to use the lab. And if anyone picked up a nice used SLR she would give it a good going over and clean anything which needed cleaning. I learned an amazing amount from her in a very short time.

06-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat.
They took some honey and plenty of money wrapped up in a five pound note.

Or, to be brief ......... NONSENSE ........ Fun eh!

Mickey
06-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was my cheap cut at Pop Photo reviews of Pentax equipment. They did not like the JPG images straight out of the camera. Whoopee!.
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #55

Want to get some gels for your flash. Try getting free sample packets from motion picture stores. Another tip is if you use those soda bottles that are all over, all different colors, wash them out cut the top third off it fits around most flashes. The Viv 285 might be a stretch.
06-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Old Dudes, eh? Well, here's one: When taking photos augmented by flash, be sure to stay an arms length from the powder, as it could cause burns.
07-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #57
Inactive Account

When making prints, make sure you beat the egg whites to stiff peaks...
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lee Quote
Old Dudes, eh? Well, here's one: When taking photos augmented by flash, be sure to stay an arms length from the powder, as it could cause burns.
HAHAHA...that is right up there with the shot shots are from using a dull chisel.

PERFECT for the thread!!

Nothing really, just a place for the folks with a lot of experience to pass along the odd trick or technique they use/used to work around the facts-of-life photo wise over the years.

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat.
They took some honey and plenty of money wrapped up in a five pound note.

Or, to be brief ......... NONSENSE ........ Fun eh!

Mickey
Or as a buddy of mine used to sing:

"....treat your wife like your dawg and she'll never leave you..."

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That was my cheap cut at Pop Photo reviews of Pentax equipment. They did not like the JPG images straight out of the camera. Whoopee!.
True fact, those sort of reviews are one of the main reasons I choose the 40. In reality it turns out waiting was better...I saved a bunch and can see what it means to keep that detail in a shot. Pretty much unless there is a lot of banding, the noise is almost never a real issue if printed or sized for web use. You guys all taught me that much already!
07-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Old Dudes

Always carry a well used cotton baby diaper.
There is nothing better for cleaning your lenses or your car.
Make sure the diaper has been washed after its last use.

Mickey
07-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #60
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Always carry a well used cotton baby diaper.
There is nothing better for cleaning your lenses or your car.
Make sure the diaper has been washed after its last use.

Mickey
What is a cotton diaper?

Edit: Did you know Eastman personally?