Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #16

After casual shooting for 20 years with some ME's, an MZ-5 and a K100D I wanted to get more serious. I went to the camera shop with an open mind, somehow suspecting I would end up with a D90 (I know, I've gotten wiser since).

The salesperson (who was actually knowledgeable about photography) asked what I used to shoot - K100D. Then he wouldn't even talk Canicon with me, but only sell me a GX-20, and only because the Samsung was more than €150 cheaper than the K20D (due to some whole seller issues). He did suggest I should get the K20D if it was very important to me that it said Pentax on the front, though. I didn't.

Fast forward six months and I haven't looked back. I had to get the wife a K20D as we quickly found out that one body was insufficient and because she DID mind what the front said ;-) She's the better photographer in the aesthetically/artistic sense, but not very interested in the technical aspects.

Also in these six month I have purchased some 15 lenses and various accessories. I can't imagine switching now and think I'll stay with Pentax as long as the bodies takes any K-lens.

06-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What does compel a true Pentaxian to remain loyal to Pentax ? Did you have any close calls ? What factors led to your original decison to go Pentax ....and then to stay Pentax ?
Do you mind a question or two in return?

What, in heaven's name is a "true Pentaxian"? What does "loyal to Pentax"mean, except for those who have a job at Hoya/Pentax?

Your other questions are easy to answer:

What factors led to your original decison to go Pentax?:
I purchased my K1000 at the tender age of 16 because of its competitive price and easy to grasp featureset. A great machine to learn photography. What tripped the balance was the built-in lightmeter needle in the viewfinder. Maybe not revolutionary aeven at the time, but it made life so much easier and the outcome of a roll of film more predictable - no more all-black or totally transparent negatives.

I used that K1000 for 30 (yes, thirty) years and it never ever let me down. Changed the lightmeter button cell once in its lifetime. Purchased a couple of lenses like a neat Cosina 28mm F2.8 and a Panagor 135mm/F2.8 to go with the bog standard 50mm/F2.0 that came with the camera.

and then to stay Pentax ?
I didn't, got onto digital when Pentax was not yet visible. I got myself a Casio QV4000 when visiting Tokyo's Akihabara's electronics district. What a revelation! I soon outgrew the QV4000 and progressed through the QV5700 (5 whole Megapixels!) to the Canon G5 and eventually to the lovely Canon Pro1. What a fantastic camera that was! Beautiful colors, great lens with unmatched versatility (28-200mm F2.0) be it with a little vignetting at wideangle and lots of noise at anything other than its base ISO50 setting.

I wanted to migrate from my beloved Pro1 to DSLR to get away from the noise, widen my window of opportunities. Shooting at ISO400 seemed like heaven!

I purchased my K110D for exactly the same reasons as 35 years earlier the K1000: a great set of features at an affordable price. I only found out I could use my old lenses after the purchase!

A couple of lens upgrades (75-300, 16-45) later and another model, the K100D-Super, I have now recently purchased the K20D with the 50-135mm F2.8

I am NOT a Pentaxian and loyal to nobody but my family but it so happens that Pentax seems to come up with a compelling package at a great price every time I'm in the market for a new camera. That, to me as a run-of-the-mill consumer, seems to land me back with a Pentax every time!

I could be as ecstatic with a Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc. I suppose. Good bodies with great glass, each and every one of them. I was tempted by the Nikon D40X for some time but I didn't like the package body/lens it came in, no body-only sales.

From here on in though, it seems I will be stuck with Pentax because of the nice glass in my bag. (Did I mention the SMC-A 50mm/F1.7?)

I could be stuck in a place much worse and I am enjoying the ride!
06-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have mentioned, Pentax's bodies are unrivalled in build quality in their class. I have consistently been disappointed trialling all commonly availably competing bodies from Nikon (D60, D90), Canon (40D, 500D, 1000D), Olympus (E-520), and Sony (A200, A300).

Although I liked the Canon 40D's and Nikon D90's quick focusing, no other features on these cameras gave me a reason to move on from my K10D/K20D. Most of those listed bodies felt plasticky and 'cheap' in my hands and all had unnecessary gimmick modes that I cared little for (in fact, I don't want them).

I don't pledge allegiance to Pentax nor will I request my Pentax cams and lenses be buried with me when I die, but their quality systems and excellent lens quality are paramount to my satisfaction with Pentax. Indeed, they first had me sold with their competitive prices and I've never looked back from my first dSLR, the K100D.
06-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Wow, some great stories/memories.

For me, it was really because Dad had a pentax in our faces growing up. Tons of slides, that one day someone will get around to scanning (wow what a project to start.....). We used to have family night maybe once a month or so, typically on a cold winter night with the fireplace going, hot chocolate, and the slide projector/screen set up in the family room to look at photos Dad took.

I have his Pentax Spotmatic F and I'll probably keep that forever, just for sentimental reasons (and Dad just found out that I swiped it from his place a month or so ago).

Always had some kind of P&S, Sony, Panasonic, etc. but when the kids were growing and we decided to do the Disney trip in Fla, I said to my wife that I needed a better camera - she said "finally" because she was becoming so frustrated with shutter lag and missing so many moments. She's an excellent photographer, and as someone else mentioned above, she's got more of an artistic eye, but couldn't care less about the technical aspects ("just put everything on green honey").

So I began searching the internet and really never looked at anything but the Pentax lineup, I knew Dad took good photos and his camera was reliable so why not. It was just a matter of which one. Found a good deal right near where we were staying in Fla and picked up the camera the day before Disney. (I know, not good to go out capturing memories with a camera I really didn't know - but circumstances what they were, just left everything on green and got some nice memories).

Why I'll stay Pentax - mainly financial - my LBA is increasing my lens inventory and I'm getting used to the camera and glass, and trying to improve my photography at the same time. To switch now, there would have to be some overwhelming compelling reason, otherwise it's Pentax for me for the forseeable future.

Oh, and another little side story - one of my first experiences with Dad's camera was when we were fishing up in Sault St. Marie (annual father son fishing trip) and one of my older cousins (a CO with Province of Ontario) took me on a "moose hunting" walk. No guns, just cameras - and Dad let me take his, with his Tak 135/3.5 on it. Never saw a moose but really liked having that "professional" camera with me out in the woods. I was probably 10 years old.

06-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
everything on green honey").

Oh, and another little side story - one of my first experiences with Dad's camera was when we were fishing up in Sault St. Marie (annual father son fishing trip) and one of my older cousins (a CO with Province of Ontario) took me on a "moose hunting" walk. No guns, just cameras - and Dad let me take his, with his Tak 135/3.5 on it. Never saw a moose but really liked having that "professional" camera with me out in the woods. I was probably 10 years old.
Great stories...the one in particular re: Moose hunting with a camera...reminds me years ago...my wife and kids and I were driving one winter morning by the Lake of the Woods in Canada. We were in Mb., near the NW Angle and there they were....a magnificent Bull Moose with huge antlers and a cow Moose, foraging by a marsh. The marsh was snow covered, there had been a Hoar Frost and it was a picture postcard scene. I pulled the station wagon to the side of the road and ran back to the rear hatch to get my K1000 and A 35-105 Pentax zoom.
The Bull Moose looked at me....about 75 feet away, shook his antlered head, snorted and pawed the snow. I got the message and quickly...but smoothly...forgpt about getting the camera and moved back into the driver's seat. We motored....
06-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Seriously; I'm happy enough with Pentax. I like the build quality, I like the prices (compared to the others anyway), I like the lenses. In fact, what's not to like IMO (I know that's not true for everyone).
I also have a lot invested in Pentax equipment and as a hobbyist, it would financially foolish to change brands.
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Complete satisfaction with the gear I have, and the knowledge that the camera is far more capable than I am; which is most often the case.
Yup.

I started with a Canon 300D. Take all the features of the K10D and put them side-by-side for manual lens usage...it's just obvious. SR, stop down lever, focus confirm, big viewfinder, etc.

It just so happens the build quality is great and is extremely comfortable to hold. Everything just matches up to what I like and the features I want.

And I could never get straight-from-the-camera colors like this!
06-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

From another Thread....

Around June of 2008 I decided that the Sony DSC-R1 that I was using was too limited (with a fixed Zeiss f2.8 lens, 28-135) for what I wanted out of photography. I did loads of research. What system offered the best quality for the best price and follow on cost (lenses, flashes etc.)?

I looked at the Nikon D90, D60, Canon EOS 50D, and the K20D. DPreview has all the specs.

The K20D has better pixel density at the sensor, better effective pixels, built-in shake reduction and backward lens compatibility. There are ZERO Canons or Nikons in this price range that have weather proofing.

With Pentax I can go to a yard sale, get a Sears, JC Penny or older Asahi lens for $10 and make it work. There are millions of compatible lenses out there; FIND 'EM!

Every time Canon or Nikon submits a new line, you have to buy a new lens. Because the Nikons and Canons have no built-in SR, the lenses must have it; therefore more cost.

I was reading the threads on camera snobbery and don't understand. I have owned Canon(AE-1 Program) and Minolta(Maxxum 7000, 505 Si Super, DiMage Z1, Sony's DSC-R1) and have shot my Dad's classic Nikons and Leicas. NONE of the afore mentioned cameras has the quality of the Pentax K20D. I am totally impressed with this camera. I would buy the K7, but I really don't have a need for hd video.

What works best for you is what matters, but don't make the choice on name alone.

Look at Pentax and the quality of the build and the glass.

Pentax to me means: underdog, attitude and personality. Make it your own.

06-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used Canon FD gear for about five years, then spent fifteen years using Nikon AI mostly.
Ten years ago a friend's Pentax stories intrigued me. I have been a Pentax user ever since.
Pentax cameras just fit and function best and oh, that Pentax glass. Thanks, Hickster.

Chris
06-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I used Canon FD gear for about five years, then spent fifteen years using Nikon AI mostly.
Ten years ago a friend's Pentax stories intrigued me. I have been a Pentax user ever since.
Pentax cameras just fit and function best and oh, that Pentax glass. Thanks, Hickster.

Chris
Why, your just a noob!
06-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #25
and
Veteran Member

Got into Pentax cause it was good value.
Stayed with Pentax because Nikon D3 is too expensive, financial crisis and all.
Not only for bodies but for lenses, setting up a system complete with lenses and comparing to other systems there is just a lot more for the money. If money was no object I would have been with Nikon now.
06-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

The reason I went with Pentax when I jumped to digital is the same reason I used Pentax cameras with film, they make an excellent, reliable product that lasts and is priced right. That was true when I bought my Spotmatic and was still true when I bought my K10D. I have owned other brands but wasn't happy with the cameras so I have stayed with Pentax. It's not a blind loyalty, it's based on my own experience. There was a time when I fell for the hype about Nikon as the top brand and was really disappointed. I use what works best for me and that always seems to end up being a Pentax.
06-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

When i first started i had a point and shoot and a load of film equipment passed down from my grandfather. None of it made much sense to me or felt like real quality apart from the pentax MX and its lenses. The rest just did not perform. As i was about to upgrade i was looking around at superzoom cameras and then the k20d was released. At the same time i ran into my first professional work and therefore a bit of money and it was mine. For me just the look of the k20d was to change my mind, regardless of its feature set and compatibility. Ive tried out other DSLRs in the same class and they might look good on paper but they feel and work so shitty and the lenses are way overpriced. Pentax forever ;p
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Do you mind a question or two in return?Nope. Sorry for the late response. I just read your post today.

What, in heaven's name is a "true Pentaxian"? What does "loyal to Pentax"mean, except for those who have a job at Hoya/Pentax?Someone who has had primarily Pentax equipment during their photographic life and i suppose is enthusiastic about Pentax equipment over an extended time. I don't think working as an employee at Pentax fits the question. They're employees...I'm talking about consumers.

Your other questions are easy to answer:

What factors led to your original decison to go Pentax?:
I purchased my K1000 at the tender age of 16 because of its competitive price and easy to grasp featureset. A great machine to learn photography. What tripped the balance was the built-in lightmeter needle in the viewfinder. Maybe not revolutionary aeven at the time, but it made life so much easier and the outcome of a roll of film more predictable - no more all-black or totally transparent negatives.

I used that K1000 for 30 (yes, thirty) years and it never ever let me down. Changed the lightmeter button cell once in its lifetime. Purchased a couple of lenses like a neat Cosina 28mm F2.8 and a Panagor 135mm/F2.8 to go with the bog standard 50mm/F2.0 that came with the camera.

and then to stay Pentax ?
I didn't, got onto digital when Pentax was not yet visible. I got myself a Casio QV4000 when visiting Tokyo's Akihabara's electronics district. What a revelation! I soon outgrew the QV4000 and progressed through the QV5700 (5 whole Megapixels!) to the Canon G5 and eventually to the lovely Canon Pro1. What a fantastic camera that was! Beautiful colors, great lens with unmatched versatility (28-200mm F2.0) be it with a little vignetting at wideangle and lots of noise at anything other than its base ISO50 setting.

I wanted to migrate from my beloved Pro1 to DSLR to get away from the noise, widen my window of opportunities. Shooting at ISO400 seemed like heaven!

I purchased my K110D for exactly the same reasons as 35 years earlier the K1000: a great set of features at an affordable price. I only found out I could use my old lenses after the purchase!

A couple of lens upgrades (75-300, 16-45) later and another model, the K100D-Super, I have now recently purchased the K20D with the 50-135mm F2.8

I am NOT a Pentaxian and loyal to nobody but my family but it so happens that Pentax seems to come up with a compelling package at a great price every time I'm in the market for a new camera. That, to me as a run-of-the-mill consumer, seems to land me back with a Pentax every time!

I could be as ecstatic with a Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc. I suppose. Good bodies with great glass, each and every one of them. I was tempted by the Nikon D40X for some time but I didn't like the package body/lens it came in, no body-only sales.

From here on in though, it seems I will be stuck with Pentax because of the nice glass in my bag. (Did I mention the SMC-A 50mm/F1.7?)

I could be stuck in a place much worse and I am enjoying the ride!
I'm enjoying the ride too. In fact I have other equipment, Leica, Olympus, Canon, Zeiss Super Ikonta, etc....even a Mamiya TLR medium format system with 3 lens and many other accessories, but through my many decades, Pentax has been my primary system...5 bodies, countless lenses, etc.
09-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #29
Igilligan

What compels me...

QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
Also in these six month I have purchased some 15 lenses and various accessories. I can't imagine switching now and think I'll stay with Pentax as long as the bodies takes any K-lens.
You could have all the K lenses in the world... its the m42's that keep me here. If a Nikon took M42 glass with out a glass adaptor I would have been gone a year ago...

Actually the only think that truly compels me to stay with pentax is lack of money... I got to much invested to switch.

But even if I had the money to switch, I would keep my K20 and my m42 glass. For how I use that combo, I still enjoy it a lot.
09-13-2009, 03:12 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Me, I was posted in the Middle East in the Eighties, ended up with a bunch of Nikons full of sand, scratched film gates etc .

The only really dust/muck/moisture sealed body around at the time, at least available locally, seemed to be the Pentax LX.

Jumped the Nikon ship then and never looked back, Pentax has allowed me to do all I need over the years, no regrets, a happy bunny.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-13-2009 at 04:20 AM.