Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

World domination in the DSLR market ?

I jest a bit in the title, but I have noticed a huge advertising campaign from Canon that has been going on for about a year or so. Their advertising budget seems almost limitless.

Huge full page Canon camera ads in papers...advertising inserts from Camera store chains that feature for the most part...Canon camera equipment. TV ads featuring pop singers.

Am I from another planet or will Canon take over the DSLR world ?

I know they are # 1 in sales...but how much of the market in Europe, Asia and North America do they have...percentage wise ?

I do worry about the smaller companies like Olympus and yes...Pentax getting caught in the crunch.

BTW I think Canon makes great camera equipment...no doubt at all on that scale...but their market success seems overwhelming as far as my impression goes.

06-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon has the largest market share overall, followed by Nikon, then Sony. Canon's huge market share is largely due to the type of marketing you mention, as well as the fact that they practically hand out gear to many pro agencies and have a huge pro support network means that more pros shoot Canon than any other brand (equipment choice with the pros isn't necessarily about what does the job the absolute best as much as accessibility). As a result, consumers associate the Canon brand with "pro" cameras and assume they must make the best.

I wouldn't worry about the smaller comanies too much; Oly is pretty competitive in the compact market and their 4/3 sales are generally increasing, and while Pentax hasn't seen much market growth lately, it's important to remember that a company's survival is not dependant on its market share; it's just about remaining profitable.
06-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marketing certainly works - crossing all boundaries, and enticing the pro and regular photography-ignorant consumer alike.

Though there will always be a portion of society that will do the research on what is available and make the comparisons themselves. So, I may be foolishly optimistic or biased (or both), but I do think 'smaller' cam companies will still survive as long as they provide a product that others do not - in the case of Pentax, it's high quality without the high price. Canon won't do the same, or else they would be falling into the unwanted niche group that Pentax has.
06-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Marketing certainly works - crossing all boundaries, and enticing the pro and regular photography-ignorant consumer alike.

Though there will always be a portion of society that will do the research on what is available and make the comparisons themselves. So, I may be foolishly optimistic or biased (or both), but I do think 'smaller' cam companies will still survive as long as they provide a product that others do not - in the case of Pentax, it's high quality without the high price. Canon won't do the same, or else they would be falling into the unwanted niche group that Pentax has.

Yes, many members of the younger generation that I work with would rather have someone tell them what to do rather than spending the time to do research and come up with their own conclusions.

06-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Isn't that unfortunate? As a member of that younger generation, I have to say that for the majority, the consumer-oriented herd mentality has never been stronger... might have some part to do with the trend in our society towards helicopter parenting, constant supervision, and endless scheduling and regulation... if regimentation isn't balanced against freedom, the result is laziness and conformity, because there's never a need to make decisions.