Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aCIDfire Quote
Hi, this sunday IŽam going to shoot one wedding, talking about "fill flash" do you
mean using HSS or what? IŽam using Metz AF-58 so what setting should I use?
The wedding will be in the garden at 11 am so direct sunlight Use HSS and higher ISO (200-320) to get larger flash distances?
What about using circular polarizers? when shooting on direct sunlight. I know that about 12am when sun is not from the side is maybe using CPL useless or not?

I will use these lenses: 16-45, 50/1.4 and K 135/2.5 for some portrait shot, donŽt
know if this 135 or macro 105/2.5 for those portraits.
- CPL MAY lead (probably will) to bad purple fringing under those conditions
- HSS will have less power than manual 1/1 power and under those conditions (when you are competing with the sun) you sometimes need a lot of power.

08-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #32

OK, I will not use CPL. And as for flash, so a better choice will be direct flash
with this diffuser ( http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/uploads/products/174/mec5090.jpg ) on manual a EV compensation +- rather than using HSS?
When using this diffuser (Metz Mecabounce 45-90) then a flash is automatically
in 16mm mode (using 16-45/4).

There is also a choice of a small bounce card inside my flash which can be pushed up
but I donŽt think it will be better than direct flash using outside.

Last edited by aCIDfire; 08-20-2009 at 01:59 PM.
08-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I don't have any metz flashes but that looks right. Most flashes have flip-down diffusers that help achieve a wide angle spread.

And - Yes direct flash will be the way to go in your situation.
08-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
I don't have any metz flashes but that looks right. Most flashes have flip-down diffusers that help achieve a wide angle spread.

And - Yes direct flash will be the way to go in your situation.
This Metz has also flip-down diffuser (this one is clear,visible through, undulated
surface) for wide angle spread as you wrote. On the other side is that Metz Mecabounce. It can be used that wide angle spread diffuser or that Mecabounce,
only one of them. Not together.

08-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
So I was asked to shoot a very informal wedding of a friend of ours today. They are a couple who have been together for 25 years (both in their late 40s) and just last week decided to get married. They are having a small ceremony in their back yard (20-30 people) with a barbecue to celebrate afterward. It is going to be in 4.5 weeks on a Wednesday night (5pm).

I gave the usual disclaimer explaining that I've never shot a wedding before, it is different then other photography I've done for them and what they've seen me do, it is their wedding day and there are no do-overs ect ect but they still want me to do it.

So I agreed to do it. While I'm confident in my photographic ability it is still a a little scary . I already have a check list of things that I need to do (meet with them, go over to their house at 5pm a few days before to get an idea of the light, practice all kinds of shots at my house before hand ect ect).

My current gear should cover everything I'll need. The only thing I'm lacking is a constant aperture zoom (I have the Sigma 17-70). This may be the perfect excuse to pick up the DA* 16-50mm. If I do that I'll have the DA* on my K20 with external Flash, FA 50 1.4 on my istDS and I'll take my Canon body with 70-200 for any telephoto shots.

Anyway I just thought I'd share... I know some of you amateurs out there know what I'm talking about and for the wedding pros you are thinking "he has no idea what he's getting himself into even if it is really informal"

John
John,

I have complete faith in you. I see many of your wildlife pictures and I am in awe with your work. I have faith in you.

If you don't have the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, I highly recommend it. I would pair up a good copy of DA* 16-50 with DA* 50-135 f/2.8. If lemon is a concern, I would pick Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 as I found the Tamron focal range to be versatile when I work with only one lens. While the 70-200mm would cover your longer need, you really need to study the location to see if the focal range is too long for the occasions. If wide angle is crucial, I think your Sigma would do fine but I would trust the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 to be more on the sharpness and good speed.

update: I did not know that you have already shot the wedding. Great Job with the Sigma.

All the best,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 08-20-2009 at 02:56 PM.