Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Streaks on Prints

Occasionally, when I print images on my inexpensive, 3-in-1 HP Photosmart 2575 I see "streaks" that are about 1/4" wide, very straight, extend "down" the entire photo (landscape orientation), and are a few to severval shades lighter than the background. Characteristics of the phenomenon are as follows:

1) Streaks are not visible on the monitor (thus I can't post examples).

2) They occur at the same place in every photo.

3) They appear in the same place in images from both my DS2 and K10D.

4) They show up in images from various lenses.

5) They generally are only visible in prints containing dark blue (but not black) sky and shot into a light source - the sun or moon.

6) They appear in prints from both JPEG and 8-bit TIFF from various RAW conversion programs and printed from PSPX.

7) They appear in prints made over several months during which the print cartridges were replaced frequently (I print too much, I guess).

Anybody got an idea what causes this - printer driver, some other software issue?

Thanks all,

Jer

04-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your printer needs cleaning Jer. You might also want to try a different color cartridge.
I've seen that happen many times and it's always the printer
04-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

re: #2)... it's the printer.

Maybe new cartridges but does not the ink still jet through a print head or similar? Also, look at the paper feed or traction rollers. Also, examine the paper you are using, i.e. look at it from acute angle in directional light.
04-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. I think you're right. I just ran another experiment: I printed from the Pentax browser to see if PSPX might be the culprit. As it turns out, the Pentax bowser prints from the "opposite" end of the landscape compared with PSPX. The streaks are there and show up in the same place on the paper but on the opposite side of the image. Curiously, I've printed other photos over the past couple of days - some with dark, rich colors - and the streaks can't be found, no matter how hard I look.

Thanks again,

Jer

04-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks, guys. I think you're right. I just ran another experiment: I printed from the Pentax browser to see if PSPX might be the culprit. As it turns out, the Pentax bowser prints from the "opposite" end of the landscape compared with PSPX. The streaks are there and show up in the same place on the paper but on the opposite side of the image. Curiously, I've printed other photos over the past couple of days - some with dark, rich colors - and the streaks can't be found, no matter how hard I look.

Thanks again,

Jer
Get some Epson Matte Heavyweight photo paper. Cut to size if necessary. Run the print head cleaning cycle. Do the nozzle check on the matte paper. It will check the nozzles and soak-up any excess ink on rollers, head, whatever.

Don't run light or high-key images right after dark or low-key images. Keep the printer level when ever cartridges are installed/present.

If you have used this printer for a long time, the head may be worn-out--duty cycles for desktop ink jets printing photos are less than 1/3 the typical sheet count specified by a manufacturer.
06-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
re: #2)... it's the printer.

Maybe new cartridges but does not the ink still jet through a print head or similar? Also, look at the paper feed or traction rollers. Also, examine the paper you are using, i.e. look at it from acute angle in directional light.
some printers the print head is part of the cartridge, some printers it is not. You have to look it up.