Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best internet camera store for service and speed?

Ok, so I am looking to buy a K2000 kit, and there is no one within a
4 hour drive that sells Pentax (Rochester NY).

So, I will be buying off the internet, obviously. I am looking for a
decent price, but I'm not sure I want to risk one of the deep-discount
retailers.

Are there any retailers that are heads above the competition when it
comes to service and speedy shipping?

(I'm thinking like Zappos is for shoes... not the cheapest, but a dream
to work with)

[kurt]

06-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
99% of my internet photo gear purchases are through B&H. They may not be the cheapest, but they are one of the most stand-up retailers you'll find.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio - bhphotovideo.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings
06-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
99% of my internet photo gear purchases are through B&H. They may not be the cheapest, but they are one of the most stand-up retailers you'll find.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio - bhphotovideo.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings
And if B&H does not have it, Adorama also has excellent service and a sterling reputation...

Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera

Steve

(I sort of switch back and forth between the two...)
06-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Agree with Ducky.

I also have done many orders with Adorama but their price is to the penny the same as B&H right now...$639 and change. If you are pinching pennies, BestBuy still has the K20D refurbs for online order for $500. I do not know if its full warranty but if so, $140 buys a nice Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/1.4 lens for your collection. Just a thought.

06-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A hearty "two thumbs up" for either. I had a serious loss of money in a lost shipment while down in the Rio Grande Valley last year. B&H didn't any problems with fixing it for me. I was taken care of quickly and with expedited shipping for the price of ground shipping.

Both are great choices - I've used Adorama before and they are top notch too.

Regards,
Marc
06-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've bought from Amazon, Buy.com, Beach Camera, Buydig, eBay, the Pentaxforums Marketplace... all without any problems.
06-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

B&H, Adorama, or Amazon (from amazon directly, not necessarily their affiliate stores which sell through amazon's site)... whichever's cheapest to my doorstep gets my business with no hesitation.

06-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #8

I've been happy shopping among Adorama, Amazon, B&H, Beach and KEH with no difficulties among any of them.
06-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
B&H, Adorama, or Amazon (from amazon directly, not necessarily their affiliate stores which sell through amazon's site)... whichever's cheapest to my doorstep gets my business with no hesitation.

Same here.
For big name stuff amazon.com is hard to beat, great price and most of the time its free shipping.
Lately I've bought more stuff from adorama then bh because most of the stuff from adorama is free shipping.
06-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #10

Amazon (not necessarily the Amazon marketplace vendors) is fine. They have good return and price protection policies
06-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
Amazon (not necessarily the Amazon marketplace vendors) is fine. They have good return and price protection policies
I think amazon dropped the price protection policies around Dec 08
07-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I think amazon dropped the price protection policies around Dec 08
I googled this and it looks like you are correct although they appear to have dropped it last September. Dang.

Suppose you could return the item within the return period and reorder it at the new price if it dropped enough to make the hassle worthwhile.
07-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And if B&H does not have it, Adorama also has excellent service and a sterling reputation...

Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera

Steve
Thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

I also have done many orders with Adorama
....and we look forward to serving you again, very soon!

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
I've used Adorama before and they are top notch too.

Regards,
Marc
Thank you for your kind words

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
B&H, Adorama, or Amazon ... whichever's cheapest to my doorstep gets my business with no hesitation.
Sound advice...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jester_rm Quote
I've been happy shopping among Adorama, Amazon, B&H, Beach and KEH with no difficulties among any of them.
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Same here.
Lately I've bought more stuff from adorama then bh because most of the stuff from adorama is free shipping.
Makes sense to me!

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
07-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #14

...Abe's of Maine!,great prices, and service is great too!
07-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live in NYC so neither B&H nor Adorama get any of my internet sales, a subway ride is still $2.25 and at that cheaper than shipping to the Bx. Besides it's fun to play with your new toy on the train ride home. That said I've found that I get better personal service at Adorama. Don't know if that's because I shop more there and they recognise me or what, but several of the staff there know I shoot pentax and on occasion, have suggested used lenses they just got in stock. (it's how I picked up my FA 20mm f/2.8) The only downside is paying the 8.35% sales tax. But I do buy all the little stuff there, lens caps, neck straps, batteries, SD cards and all that kind of stuff, and when possible throw a big purchase their way too. Got my K10D from them and had a great time on the 1+ hr subway home, reading the manual and putting the strap on and etc, felt like a kid at Christmas.

NaCl(for internet I mostly use either KEH for used lenses or Beach Camera for bodies, flashes etc)H2O