Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting from Above

Hi, all, I was wondering how other people managed to shoot from heights, particularly when there's not an easy way to make the camera safe.

For instance, in this shot, I used the K200D with the DA 12-24 at 12mm. I hate cropping, but to get all the lines like I wanted them and the composition to be exactly like this, I had to put the camera on a tripod on the flight of stairs above and actually lean the camera out over the abyss in the middle. To make it safer, I took off the neck strap, wrapped it around the stair railing a few times, and put it back on the camera.

Are there easier ways? Any techniques you'd like to share? Anyone else use their $5 neckstrap to protect $1500 worth of equipment?

06-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't have much to add with the safety, but wanted to say I sure like the shot!
brooding, nice!
06-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's a great shot Keitha!
I think the strap sounds like a good idea, at least it wouldn't go far and hard for somebody to run off with it.
06-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photographers best friend I always have one in my bag

As usual fantastic shot!!

Attached Images

06-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I remember seeing a video of a wedding photographer who used to throw his camera up, pointing down at the wedding group, and the camera would take a whole lotta shots while flying. He'd spin it a bit so it stayed in the right orientation. Then he'd catch it, hopefully.
06-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
although i haven't tried this product, the same concept would apply.
use a camera boom.
06-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
and
Veteran Member

Several wedding photogs take shots from above using a monopod and a remote trigger to make a "camera on a stick", but if you are doing self portraits then that wont be possible
A tripod can be tricky because its not so easy to point the camera straight down and not get the legs in the shots. Some tripods have horizontal adapters that can help with that though, those sometimes have a hook in the back so one can hang a bag there for counterweight.

oh and great shot

06-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Niki: Thanks! I was in the place to shoot something else when I saw how that one bit of stairwell was lit from an open window, so I reversed course.

@ Tom: I could just imagine a would be thief trying to deal with those straps - it took me almost 10 minutes to re-thread them (to be fair, it was almost completely dark and I had to do it mostly by touch).

@ redpigeons: That seems like a great idea, and forgive my ignorance because I am not what you might call handy around the house, but that's black electrical tape, right? Do you wrap it around and around the camera and the stabilizing item and it's strong enough to hold? Is there residue to get off later or do you put something between the camera and the tape? I am intrigued, because I like solutions like this one.

@ Arpe: I've seen these too! There's a group on flickr specifically for camera tosses. I would be terrified to do that myself - I'm not that great a catch!

@ ricosuave: Intriguing! I wonder how much weight those can support. I googled "camera boom" and came up with some great ways to do it yourself. I might try this!

@ Andreas: The monopod idea is a good one, but you're right - a little tricky with a self-portrait I'll have to look into seeing if there's a horizontal adapter for this tripod, although that sounds like it would do the trick, particularly with a counterbalance.

Thanks all for looking and taking the time to comment!
06-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #9
and
Veteran Member

If your brand doesnt have one, I _think_ that you could use parts from feisol's nice modular system since I assume its mounted on the legs using one of the two standard screw sizes. They have various adapters available such as these two
FEISOL VH-40 Horizontal Adapter Kit
FEISOL PB-70 Horizontal Adapter Kit
06-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good ol' gaffer tape...
Great shot Keitha...
06-30-2009, 03:43 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
The method I've always used for hand held shots is the triple wrap of the strap around the forearm/wrist.
06-30-2009, 04:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Use a monopod

Helps if you can either activate autofocus via the remote cable, use hyperfocal settings, or stop down the aperture quite a bit with a wide angle lens after guesstimating subject distance.
06-30-2009, 05:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good ol' gaffer tape...
Great shot Keitha...
yep as Ash said ..Gaffer tape.
its is very useful for a lot of things. From locking your bag when trveling in dodgy places ,to blocking unwanted lights on a shade or a window

I also wrap it around my camera to stick it in weird places (like top of the stairs )
06-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Are there easier ways?
Get insurance on your gear. No matter how careful, eventually something will happen to your gear. You could take all the precautions in the world on a shoot, then knock the camera off your kitchen table.