Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #1

Need a new Pentax Camera

Hi I'm new here to the forum. It seems like a great site. I am currently the owner of a K100D and I would like to upgrade. I want to stick with Pentax since I've been shooting with them for a while. My first film SLR was a Pentax ZX-7. That being said I would like some advice on what one to get next. I would like one that is for more advanced users. The K100D was great but it is a beginner SLR and I fell my skills have improved enough to go to a more advanced camera. The K-7 looks good but I don't want to break the bank. Can anyone suggest a Pentax that is for more advanced users but not insanely expensive (under a grand)? Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

07-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The typical choices here are the K10D and K20D.
K10Ds appear on this forum's marketplace for around US$400, whereas the K20D can still be bought new, also seen on the marketplace for prices around US$650.

Either would be a good choice, just weigh out what you're particularly looking for in an advanced body. Use the forum's camera review database. All the best!
07-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H has the K20D body only for $649. I'm looking too that's why I noticed this price.
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D is a bargain, and a really good camera. The K20D is coming down in price too, look at these.

07-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have to ask, what 'advanced features' do you want? I could have chosen any Pentax DSLR when I recently switched to Pentax, but chose the K200D because of the vast features and capabilities in a low price. That being said, the K7 is on my radar once the price drops from MSRP. Your K100D is very capable.

Unless there is something you need (more resolution for large prints, SDM, weather sealing), you may not be using your money wisely. Unfortunately buying a new camera isn't going to improve the photos a great deal. Learning how to maximize what you have is the best solution and taking a look at your lenses is probably the next best. IMO lenses are much more important the body.
07-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I have to ask, what 'advanced features' do you want? I could have chosen any Pentax DSLR when I recently switched to Pentax, but chose the K200D because of the vast features and capabilities in a low price. That being said, the K7 is on my radar once the price drops from MSRP. Your K100D is very capable.

Unless there is something you need (more resolution for large prints, SDM, weather sealing), you may not be using your money wisely. Unfortunately buying a new camera isn't going to improve the photos a great deal. Learning how to maximize what you have is the best solution and taking a look at your lenses is probably the next best. IMO lenses are much more important the body.

I have new Pentax 100mm f/2.8 macro lens as well as the Tamron 75-300 tele/macro and the 18-55mm lens that came with the K100D. I feel that the K100D is a beginners SLR and that the newer SLR's from Pentax will give me better features and pictures especially with the macro lens. I also want something with more battery life and a few more "professional" features. I was looking at the K20 before I posted and I think I'm going to go ahead with that one when I get together the cash. It might go down a little more in price soon now that the K7 is out. I looked into the K7 but that is too much at this point and I don't want to wait a year for the price drop. I'm thinking of starting my own business and I would like a more advanced camera that is affordable. The K20 seems to fit the bill. I like the K10 too but the 20 seems slightly better. I still have to go to a shop and get a better feel for them.
Thanks for all the replies.
07-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The K100D can certainly be considered an Entry Level DSLR, but I think classifying it as a beginners SLR is not entirely accurate. It offers a lot to a photographer on any level. Does that mean my K200D is a beginner's camera as well? I am certainly not a beginner, and I find the camera feature rich and perfect for my intended purposes.

Being able to hold the cameras and compare the features is quite important. If you are lucky enough to be able to do this in person, than you are one up on a lot (lack of Pentax in stores).

I guess I still don't understand which 'professional' features you are after, but I also don't want to talk you out of a purchase. Good luck with the upgrade.

QuoteOriginally posted by smack1019 Quote
[/I]

I have new Pentax 100mm f/2.8 macro lens as well as the Tamron 75-300 tele/macro and the 18-55mm lens that came with the K100D. I feel that the K100D is a beginners SLR and that the newer SLR's from Pentax will give me better features and pictures especially with the macro lens. I also want something with more battery life and a few more "professional" features. I was looking at the K20 before I posted and I think I'm going to go ahead with that one when I get together the cash. It might go down a little more in price soon now that the K7 is out. I looked into the K7 but that is too much at this point and I don't want to wait a year for the price drop. I'm thinking of starting my own business and I would like a more advanced camera that is affordable. The K20 seems to fit the bill. I like the K10 too but the 20 seems slightly better. I still have to go to a shop and get a better feel for them.
Thanks for all the replies.