Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Argh! Low feedback seller!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just bid on a Pentex 645N and and FA 75/2.8 with the 360 FGZ flash... I thought I got it for a steal until I realized (after bidding!) that the seller only have 5 feedback from 2005!

medium format camera ( pentex 645N) and flash - eBay (item 130315827980 end time Jul-06-09 15:39:51 PDT)

I want to believe that it's an honest seller and he just mistakenly named his items... looking at it that way it certainly does seem legit (a scammer wouldn't mistype the name of the item he sells, right? right?)

So my last resort is to ask you guys here if you've seen the images posted on the sale page before... I would reallly appreciate it if someone from Saskatoon can kindly contact to meetup with the seller when he's sending the package, but I think that might be pushing it.

I already asked the seller to take a picture of the packaging he would use. At least this would confirm that the item is at least in his possession. What do you guys suggest I should do? My feedback on ebay is still low so I don't really mind that much on being a non-paying bidder.

*edit* the seller actually just reminded me to pay by paypal.... good sign?

Last edited by Andi Lo; 07-06-2009 at 04:23 PM.
07-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The onus is on you to read all the details. If you're not confident of the listing, don't bid, simple as that. You're getting ahead of yourself with your assumptions, a seller with low feedback does not automatically mean that you got a deadbeat seller, it just means that the person is not an active eBayer.

A scammer is not likely to post so many clear and sharp pictures and give a detailed description. At any rate, by posting publicly here, you now have called attention to the listing and will all likelihood pay more because you have highlighted this listing to more potential bidders. For goodness sake, don't be a deadbeat eBayer by going the non-paying option. Anyway there is some measure of protection if payment is by Paypal.
07-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I did get ahead of myself twice I guess... first by assuming that all sellers must have good feedback, and that sellers with low feedback must be a bad one Thanks for the heads up on the "clear pictures" creampuff, luckily I already won the item so it wouldn't increase the price.
07-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree with Denis that if you've agreed to bid, you've agreed to pay. And utilising the recognised method of payment gives you, the buyer, the added security. So if you want this set, just go for it, and ensure communication keeps going on between you and the seller.

07-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Paypal's new policy (to protect the buyers *winkwink*) will more than likely put a temporary hold on the money that you pay the seller until s/he receives a positive feedback from you. Paypal will do that for certain "high-risk" items as well as with sellers who have few feedback scores.

Therefore, you are pretty much covered. Wait for the item, check it out, and if you like it give back a positive feedback. If not, contact the seller to straighten things out, and if that doesn't work out, contact Ebaypal, make an "Item not as described" claim, and you will get your full money back.

Because of this new policy, I, as a seller, have been highly inconvenienced (e.g., when the buyer is a slacker and doesn't give back the positive feedback, I can't access the fund for 21 days), but as a buyer, I'm more confident about purchasing items from sellers with very few feedback (yes, even zero or one).
07-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
jem

In looking at the listing, the buyer’s feedback and the feedback of sellers that the buyer did business with, it looks like a legit listing IMO. Price-wise it seems about right for the equipment – a couple of other 645N packages went in the $500-$600USD range in the past 2 weeks so it looks like you got a fair deal. The typo in the title may have kept the price on the low end of the range.

Both creampuff and Ash are correct. You have entered into a contract with the seller and should make a good-faith effort to complete the sale. Dead-beat buyers are as despised as dishonest sellers though eBay’s current feedback system tends to really handicap the seller’s ability to ID bad buyers.

And even if things turn out badly, by using PayPal, you have a fair amount of protection as the buyer.

Anyway, enjoy your new camera when you get it!
07-12-2009, 02:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone I decided to trust the seller... She has really good communication and really fast shipping. I'm enjoying the camera and I'm 4 exposures away from my first Provia developing

07-12-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad it worked out well for you. FWIW I prefer buying from low-volume sellers with ~100% feedback.

Chris
07-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
jem

Glad to hear it! Enjoy!

Oh, and don't forget to give her good feedback so her next customer has a better comfort level buying from her (and so she can get her money from PayPal).
07-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
POsitive feedback and good ending My first 645 exposure is a beaut Now to find out how to scan them...