Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by mulder Quote
I always shoot JPEG only.Its too much time to work with raw.
Hi,

I just wanted to make a comment on this.
I'm using Adobe Lightroom, as many others do. Adding to this the comment rprii makes about RAW shooters being incompetent, and I think I have an answer that you should consider.

When shooting raw, we don't neglect whitebalance and exposure and all that stuff. We do out best, but as we all know, once in a while we make mistakes.
With RAW one can easily correct whitebalance errors after the shot is taken. We can even to a certain degree correct for errors with exposure.

However, back to the point. Time.
If you use Lightroom you can, at the time you import your pictures, apply a set of 'rules' that says how to treat the picture. Sharpen, color, saturation, contrast, B&W, CA, Vignetting, whitebalance, shadows, highlights. If you do that, Lightroom will add all this to the picture, so when you're done importing, all the pictures have been adjusted according to the preset. You can then simply export the finished pictures to jpg, if you feel like it.

Or you can go in there and adjust every picture by itself, or just THE picture that would have been fantastic with some adjustment to the vibrance.

So, my conclusion : Yes, you will save SOME time shooting jpg.
But if you have the software, and you WANT to process all the pictures in a similar way (just like the camera does), then you can choose to do that too.
The best part is that you can go back in there and change the settings without losing any quality.

Bottom line, you can choose how much time you want to spend playing with your raw files. You don't have to process every image by it self.

I find the argument "Jpg works fine for me, I'm pleased by the results" much easier to accept than time, or that we should just buy P&S, since we're bad photographers by default since we use raw.
Jpg is fine, it has some limitations, but what doesn't. Raw isn't perfect either.

Regards,
Beej80