Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really interesting thread!

Thanks for sharing with us.
01-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed, just found this thread too. What an interesting read.
01-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Amazing read, please continue!

01-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #185
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you very much for your service and for your most recent post, in addition to all your previous posts. I was very sorry to hear about the impact of the flooding. With warmest wishes and hopes for a much better year for you and your family in 2010.
SMF
Son of a WWII combat veteran (26th Infantry Div.)
02-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #186

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, I got the "BIG BOX" of stuff from my Dad earlier this week and sure enough, there are pictures in there that I've not seen in over 40 years! I'll be going thru this stuff in the next few days/weeks and see if I can't post some more photos.
It will no doubt take a while to sort thru it all, but I'm sure there may be something in there worth viewing.
02-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Looking forward to it!
02-14-2010, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #188

Original Poster
Some New Pix

I've just enough time today to post 3 more pictures that I've scanned. These were all taken during a routine sweep through a small coastal hamlet probably to the northeast of Bong Son.
We made 3 trips into this hamlet over a week's time and on the third trip in, we got hit and some of the guys in the pictures didn't make it out unhurt. "Mr. Charles" knew we were coming and was waiting for us.
In one photo, everyone was sitting around waiting for further instructions as we'd found nothing of consequence at that point in time.
In one of the others, you can see that the Platoon Sgt was talking to the RTO and probably telling him to contact HQ that we were entering the hamlet.
The other is simply a quick shot of the guys moving off the LZ and getting ready to form up and move through the area.

Attached Images

02-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #189
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think the LZ shot was missed in the upload but regardless, I find each post riviting. It's hard to fathom what this would have been like, walking into a hamlet and not completely sure what awaits.
02-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #190

Original Poster
Yep, I had one of those "Cranial-Rectal Inversions" and posted one of the shots twice and left out the shot from the LZ.
Walking into a Hamlet and not knowing .... that's when all of your senses are in "hyper mode". You're looking for anything that's missing, out of place, or just doesn't look right! Your sense of smell, hearing .... everything is just keen beyond belief. That mental attitude stays with you for a very long time after you get home. To this day, I am extremely uncomfortable in sitting or be in a public place where I can't observe who's coming and going. I still find myself trying to be hyper-vigilant with regards to my surroundings. That by the way, is not uncommon among most Vietnam Veterans.
02-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #191
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You know to a much lesser extent, I can understand that. I rode motorcycles for years and you learn to be very aware of your surroundings. Particularly after an accident. You are much more vulnerable on a bike and other drivers are out to get you killed.

To this day I can spot a person about to make a left turn (by the way they move their heads) in an intersection without using the indicator and many other small signs of trouble possibly coming. Even after selling the bikes 10 years ago, that sense has not disappeared. It's clearly not the same thing as being shot at in the jungle but I get the idea. Sitting in the cafeteria with your back to the wall and being able to see all the exits.
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #192
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
. . .Sitting in the cafeteria with your back to the wall and being able to see all the exits.
That's called the Bill Hickcock position. The irony is that the 1 time he didn't do it, he got shot in the back.
02-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #193

Original Poster
The Village People

No, this one's not about the singing group, rather its 3 shots I took in the village of Bong Son which was just outside our permiter wire. One shot (the girl) was taken at the zoo in Saigon, which was a favorite haunt of mine as there were so many photo ops there.

1. Girl at Saigon Zoo: This one's got a real story behind it! On the day this was shot, two young girls were selling soft drinks at the zoo. My team mate and I bought drink from them. From that point they hung onto us throughout the day. They showed us all the interesting things at the zoo and pretty much acted as our personal guides. We gave them a few piasters for their time and they made excellent models for us. We always liked the kids and being around them.

2. The Village Kids: This shot was taken in the viallage of Bong Son. The guy on the left w/no hat is my Team Mate {Bob Vehr}, the guy on the right is a man named Thien, who was an interpreter for our Recon Troop. He was a Sgt. in the S. Vietnamese Army and permantly attached to our troop. Again, the kids were the center of our attention. You'll note that Bob is carrying his side arm {M 1911 Colt Pistol}. We were required to be armed anytime we went outside the wire. Even though our forward LZ was right there by the village, it was common knowledge that it was not a safe place to be alone {particularly at night}. An interesting note to this photo is the girl standing to the right of the group. This little girl would come to the wire every morning and Bob and I would pitch our helmet across the wire along with some money and she'd come back with both helmets full of fresh native fruits for us. She brought us our breakfast every day that we were there. Upon leaving that area to move our unit to a different A.O., Bob and I went to the local school to pay the tuition for 4 of these kids so they could attend school for the remainder of the year. It wasn't a lot of money to us, but those kids thought we literally "hung the moon". As a result, our interpreter got a lot of good intelligence information from them later on.

3. Street Scene: This final shot is a quick "grab" I took in the village itself. The central part of the village was always a busy place with small shops and merchants willing to sell {or trade} their wares.

As a final note, I've located a couple of shots that I'm hoping some of our Kiwi Pentaxians might want to see. They were taken when I was on an operation with a New Zeland Artillery Battery. I'll try to get them scanned and posted soon.
02-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #194

Original Poster
Pictures HERE

Perhaps it would help if I posted the shots. I've attached them here.
Attached Images

02-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #195

Original Poster
Non-Combat

I just ran across a couple of shots that depict what life was like when we were "stuck in the rear".

1. The first shot is one of "Camp Gaylor". This place was in the middle of Tan Son Nhut Airbase in Saigon. This was the main HQ for the 69th Signal Bn. where I spent a couple of months before being transferred to the Cav. The picture is one I shot of the "main gate" to the compound.

2. This is a shot of a rather typical "non combat" assignment. As I recall, we were tasked with shooting some pictures of some sort of new "commo" equipment. They wanted the shots set up to "look like" they were taken in the field. You can tell though by the shined boots, clean uniforms, etc. that these were set up shots. Another giveaway is the photographer carrying a 4 x 5 Super Speed Graphic ..... nobody would try carrying that damned thing in the field for very long!
Attached Images

Closed Thread