Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #211
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
most (not all, but certainly most) of my shots are of PEOPLE!
Which is why people will keep coming back here. The photos of the children are quite powerful.

I just found this thread today. It would seem you have taken a fair few people on a journey Bob.

Thank you for sharing your photos & experiences. They are captivating to say the very least.

02-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Thanks for continuing this thread hillerby. I think I'll never get tired of this thread as long as you keep posting a picture or two every now and then.
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #213

I just want to say thanks again for this thread, Hillerby. Every new photo is an absolute treat and captivating.

You seem to describe the poor processing and ageing as having a negative impact on the photos and while the colours may not be as vivid as they once were, I adore the subtle colour shifts, occasional blown highlights, dust and other marks. For me, it is these things (plus, of course, the content) which truly make the photos wonderful.

I know the labour involved with scanning, sorting and uploading photos, but each photo is a real delight and I'd love to see more.
03-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #214
Pentaxian

Great story and picture of that little Vietnamese girl sweeping the dirt in front of her house. Good way for young kids to start learning the value of work and chores and that everybody has to do their share.

03-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #215

Original Poster
A Beautiful Place .... Vietnam

I've just enough time tonight to post a couple more shots.

1. Beautiful Vietnam: I only wish the color was still accurate on this particular shot. I remember it well! Bob (the other still photographer on my team) and I were doing our usual thing ..... looking for something to shoot. The grunts were doing much the same. Anyway, as I saw our lift ships moving off the LZ I commented to Bob, "If it weren't for this damned war, this is the most beautiful place I've ever seen". He agreed and we moved on! The scene as originally shot was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately time has taken it's toll on this picture, but hopefully, you'll "get my drift".

2. Shooting the Kids: I've included another shot here that indicates the soldier's propensity to be attracted to the kids. Hell, they were the REAL VICTIMS over there! I've often wondered what ever happened to them all and that's a thought that haunts me always. They were all so innocent and attracted to the soldiers.
Attached Images

03-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #216
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both wonderful captures Bob. Do you still have any of the negatives? If so those images could still be brought back to their original glory.

The second shot is moving. Clearly these kids have almost nothing and yet the little girl looks very happy. It's hard to even think about what life must have been like when the place was finally over run. But history has shown that they were fortune relative to Cambodia and North Korea. But I'm sure most had a rough time of it for at least 20 years after the war.
03-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Bob for all the time you have invested in this thread. You should be charging us.
It is hard to describe the feeling your photos instill in me but they have a sense of power that is unlike the "new" (and perfect) images I see.
I lost track of this thread for a while but am now up to speed and very glad you are still posting.
03-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #218

Original Poster
Vietnam in Pictures

One of the recent posts {Peter, I think} asked if I still had the original negs/slides and the answer is YES. My problem is I don't have, and can't afford a really "high dollar" film scanner and I've SO MANY frames, I can't afford to have them scanned by a scanning service. All I have is an "el cheapo" 35mm scanner and the quality leaves a lot to be desired.
The other problem is that I've not developed my PS skills to the level that I really know how to correct the fadiing, color shifts, spots, etc. to restore all the pictures to their original level of quality. I'm thinking about mounting my Pentax Bellows II to my K10 and start copying all this stuff just to get digital captures while I still have an image to work with.
Now for a couple of more pictures.

1. House: This first shot shows a house {a hut, really}. The only reason I shot this was to constantly remind myself how well even the poorest of us in developed nations have it! Although this place looks like a simple shack with no running water, no inside toilets, no electricity, etc, etc, etc., this particular hut was decidedly owned by someone in the village of means. It's pretty substantial in build and a good solid roof. Dirt floors and all, this place could only have been owned by a village chief or some other local person of some importance. Somewhere I've got pictures of huts that were built out of cardboard and bamboo. I'll have to do some scrounging and see if I can find that shot. Poverty there and then was unbelievable to me at the time.

2. Water Collection: This shot was taken at a central water point in the same village as the shot mentioned above. Most of the villages and hamlets would have only ONE well that served the entire village (if they had a well at all). Some places that were near streams or rivers gathered their water from those sources. Going to the water collection point was a daily task that had to be done by everyone in the village. Accordingly, water was used very sparingly, and never for washing or personal hygene; that would be taken care of at a river or with water collected in barrels or buckets from rainfall. If you notice in some of the shots of the people, they were somewhat unwashed and their clothing not particularly clean.

Attached Images

03-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #219
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Again great dialog perfectly punctuated by the photos. It's always sad that those with the least always seem to suffer war the most. Particularly in this past century. These people have near nothing and someone wants to control it or take it away.

I certainly didn't want to infer that the photos looked bad. There may be some colour shifts but that really has nothing to do with the story they impart. In fact I find these somehow refreshing compared to the near "perfect" shots we all see from PS outputs today. Somehow these seem more 'real' if that makes any sense.

But if you had the images cataloged (image to neg) and there were particularly important images (like the "beautiful Vietnam" shot), they might be worth having scanned or reprinted.
03-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #220
emr

I wish there was a fellow photographer in Texas with a good scanner and some time to spare to do the scanning with you as your photos certainly have a lot of value, historical and otherwise.
03-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #221

It appears that the interest in our thread has waned...

Bob, I don`t think so. As Peter stated, many read this without replying. As I did, I might add.

Still, I enjoyed every of your words (and your wow photos). Keep it up.

I just hope you`ll have the time and energy to share more of your impressive experiences with us all.
03-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #222
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Bob, I just re read the thread and noticed I had missed one post about the woman that thought you had her brother's photo in the newspaper. Did she ever visit you and if so, how did it go?
03-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by hillerby
It appears that the interest in our thread has waned...
I have to disagree as well. I've only just found this thread today and spent several hours reading through all of 15 pages, studying the photos and following the threads.

Bob, from the sounds of it, you are a few years older than me, but not much. If it's ok, I'd like to share a couple thoughts that this whole thread has churned up for me.

First off: to you and all the vets reading this, Thank you for your service. The nation truly appreciates all you have done. A few bad apples right after the war were simply loud mouth microscopic minorities.

For anyone who hasn't noticed this in Bob's photos, I thought I'd point it out: Look at the US soldiers. Do they look like the images you see coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan today? No? Why not?

For one, the photos here are almost uniformly skinny, young kids. As Bob mentioned early in the thread, he was 21 and was 3 years older than many of the guys he was serving with. The guys you see in today's wars are often in their mid 20s, 30s and higher even.

Next, all the soldiers are in their shirt sleeves. These guys went on jungle patrols, landed on beaches, secured known enemy villages and dropped into landing zones with only their helmets and shirt sleeves. See any body armor? And Bob was right there with them.

In today's world, that is almost unimaginable, but these brave men did it over and over.

Bob, we owe you doubly. First and most for your service. And secondly for having the grace and patience with our questions to go over this whole experience again, just for our benefit.

Please continue to post many more pics. I've subscribed to the thread - as have many others - and we'd love to see what you find in the box of photos.
03-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #224

Original Poster
Peter,
The woman never came by. I think she was mistaken about it. I told her that the guys in that shot were at a US Army hospital and since her brother was in the Marine Corps, I didn't think it could possibly be her brother.
03-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peter,
The woman never came by. I think she was mistaken about it. I told her that the guys in that shot were at a US Army hospital and since her brother was in the Marine Corps, I didn't think it could possibly be her brother.
Bob, keep em coming please. I come here periodically to check whether there's anything new. I respect people who have served their country and I also think that the images and related stories that you share with us here are a valuable contribution.

Regarding the scanner problem I started thinking whether this could be a chance for the community here to come together and chip in? I'd be willing to chip in real money - let's say 10 bucks- that would go towards getting you a quality film scanner that is capable of scanning 35mm strips (I assume your negatives are strips and not rolls or individual frames). If there's more general interest in starting this, perhaps one of the mods could help organize things?

I'm not entirely altruistic here as I have a selfish motivation also: I want to see your interesting images in all their glory! :-)
Closed Thread