Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'll add a few from Afghanistan if people are interested.
Lee, my suggestion is to open a new thread for the Afghanistan photos. Nothing against any photo you might put up, but I think it would be less confusing if there were seperate threads - and it would be great to see your photos! I've had a couple of nephews and friends' sons serve in Iraq and Af - fortunately they all came back!

07-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Lee,

I would love to see photos from Afghanistan. But I do agree with ChipB's suggestion to do this in a separate thread.
07-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #303
Veteran Member

Separate thread it is, I would not want to interrupt this excellent thread in any way.
07-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #304
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lee, don't forget to put a link here so those subcribed here will find it.

07-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #305
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Lee, my suggestion is to open a new thread for the Afghanistan photos. Nothing against any photo you might put up, but I think it would be less confusing if there were separate threads - and it would be great to see your photos!
Lee - PLEASE - open as a new thread.
I am sure we all want to see the Af photos as well.
However this thread is very long now and people have come to expect it to
contain Hillerby's photos and his very personal comments as a Vietnam Combat Photographer.
Let us enjoy BOTH threads.
Thanks.

Last edited by TomK; 07-06-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: correct syntax
07-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #306
Veteran Member

Hillerby, thanks a lot for this amazing and true-to-hart views.

I wasn't even born at that time but since my highschool years I've been very interested about South East Asia wars.

My top movie is FF Coppola's Apocalipse now so after I discovered your thread I subscribed and read it constantly.
07-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #307

Original Poster
Membership is Expiring!!!

I'd forgotten that back when I first started this thread, someone had made a donation on my behalf in order to get this thread going and allow me to post pictures.
I just received a notification that I need to make a "donation" to keep my allowable space, etc.
Can someone point me in the right direction so I can make sure we don't lose our place here?
Thanks to all,
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #308
Veteran Member

Donation page is here.

07-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #309

Original Poster
Donation is in the mail!

Just a quick post to let ya'll know that I've been out for a while, but am back. I sent my dontation in yesterday, so hopefully they won't kill this thread quite yet.
Anyway, I've got a few pictures to scan and I'll get them posted at the earliest opportunity.
07-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #310
Veteran Member

I'm looking forward to them. I met a combat photographer today who shared what he had for gear and missions. Lots of video taken these days but they still shoot in manual most of the time. Camera's are Canon 5d and Nikon D3. I posted a few pictures of them in another thread, they had taken a beating.
07-28-2010, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #311

Original Poster
I just read your most recent post ..... Great info! Are you still in Afganistan?
07-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
I just read your most recent post ..... Great info! Are you still in Afganistan?
Yes, I'm here until next February or March. Keep you pictures coming! I asked the Army photographer (lives a few doors down) about taking document photo's or intel in general and I guess they don't do much of that anymore (has been taken over by other intel assets, like UAV etc.)

They take 50/50 video and stills mostly used to inform the public or for recording history. I'm sure the guy has a really nice photo collection as they get unrestricted access to whatever they want to take photo's of for the most part.

If you ever want to ask some questions for the current soldiers let me know and I would be happy to pass on any message as he lives close bye. I have the trust of most military as I actively partake in missions to protect these guys. (civilian but I do the same job as when I was active)

Please keep your thread going as it has been nothing short of awesome and I love seeing information from Vietnam from a soldier who was there. My generation appreciates talking to older vets even through the wars are different it still takes you to another laying of life when killing people and violence are brought front and center, it truly changes people.
07-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #313
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
Anyway, I've got a few pictures to scan and I'll get them posted at the earliest opportunity.
Could we also hope for a story? I can't wait to read more of them.

Hillerby, please do not forget about us!
10-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #314
Pentaxian

Thought it was time this got resurrected.

Bob, when you have some time, I'm sure we'd like to hear/see more about your Vietnam experiences - I know I would!!
10-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Thought it was time this got resurrected.

Bob, when you have some time, I'm sure we'd like to hear/see more about your Vietnam experiences - I know I would!!
+1! I know I would!
Closed Thread