Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just found this thread today and just finished reading all 26
pages. I find your photos and stories incredible. Thank you
for sharing with us. I add my thanks for your service to our
country. This is from a collage student at the time you served.
So not all Americans held you in contempt. I honored your
Sacrifices then as well as now

03-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #392

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
I just found this thread today and just finished reading all 26
pages. I find your photos and stories incredible. Thank you
for sharing with us. I add my thanks for your service to our
country. This is from a collage student at the time you served.
So not all Americans held you in contempt. I honored your
Sacrifices then as well as now
I thank you for these kind comments. As a little side note, I have a pretty close friend here who was an Anti War Protester when he was in college back then. We've had many interesting discussions about the war during the past couple of years, but they've always been civil and very insighting to us both. we disagree on a great many things, but we deeply respect one another.
03-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #393

Another great set, Bob. I look forward to each of your new posts. It appears that this thread has over twice the views of anything else in the General Photography section.

Do you think your memory of people and events might have been sharpened by your photographer's view point and attention to detail? Of course we were all young and steely-eyed back then; maybe our minds just worked better.

As for Agent Orange, some would argue that it's still killing today, and not just plants.
03-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #394

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Texas Transplant Quote
Another great set, Bob. I look forward to each of your new posts. It appears that this thread has over twice the views of anything else in the General Photography section.

Do you think your memory of people and events might have been sharpened by your photographer's view point and attention to detail? Of course we were all young and steely-eyed back then; maybe our minds just worked better.

As for Agent Orange, some would argue that it's still killing today, and not just plants.
I've notice that the number of views for this thread vastly exceeds any of the others here. Now that fact alone has astounded me from the very beginning. I really had no idea that anyone would have any real interest. After more than a year though, I've noticed that not only are new names (viewers) popping in from time to time, but the same folks keep returning.
There is no doubt that my photographers view point and attention to detail has kept my memory of places, people and events pretty accurate. Additionally, the fact that we had to write a caption sheet (picture attached) had a definate impact as well. Seems like the fact that we had to document every frame of film shot, sort of embedded all those details into my brain. I've looked at photos taken of my kids when they were little (some over 30 years ago) and sometimes I can remember stuff, and in other cases not so well ........ but I didn't have to write a caption sheet for each frame ...... I guess it makes a difference.
As for Agent Orange ..... ya' don't need to tell me that it's still killing today. VA sends me a box full of pills every so often for various ailments caused by my exposure to the stuff. Ya' won't hear me bitchin' bout it though, I look at it as just another one of those Occupational Hazards I faced and go on with life!

Attached Images

03-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #395
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
I thought I'd post a few pix again today. Again, these are not shots I took, but shots made by either DASPO teams or Marine Corps Photographers.
If nothing else, they pretty well sum up the Life of a Grunt!
The machine gun team shown, is (I'm pretty sure) a Marine unit. The M60 was the heavy firepower of most infantry units. It fired a 7.62 round at a rate of (I think) 650 rounds per minute. In most of my experience, everyone in the squad or platoon would carry at least one or two bandoliers of linked ammo, cuz' the gunner would always need MORE AMMO!
Wading the River: What you've got here folks is the reality of being in the field. Bear in mind that the water these guys are wading is pretty minimal. I've waded water chest deep a time or two. Now ya' gotta keep you weapons, and critical equipment OUT of the water. We had to deal with the weapons, and then ya' got a camera, lenses and film that you better damned well keep dry.
Slogging thru Mud: This picture illustrates another reality in Vietnam ..... MUD! During the monsoon season, the whole damned country was like this. I remember shooting pictures of a deuce and a half (that was stuck up to the axle in mud. Walking in that crap will take the vinegar out of ya' pretty quick.
I really love following this thread - keep posting, please

Those pictures are really good, showing how the environment was in the raining season..... looks tough....
03-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #396
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4. Sully (Sullivan): Everybody called him "Sully", but if I remember correctly his name was Sullivan. I can't remember if he was an Aussie, or a Kiwi, but he was a real "hardcore" soldier. Like me, he was a few years older than most, and took a liking to me. He always made fun of me cuz' I hated them damned rations they had ........... Corned Mutton and TEA! I couldn't hardly choke the crap down. Anyway, Sully was my friend, and is one of the reasons I always think about my Aussie and Kiwi buddies on Long Tan Day ........ if ya' don't know what that is, Google It, ya' might learn something.
If you liked him he must've been a Kiwi
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #397

Original Poster
Photos for today

Man, time sure has a way of gettin' by me. I've posted a couple of photos for today.

Caribou Take Off: The Caribou, pictured here was running up the engine just prior to take off. I'm guessin' this shot was taken at LZ English sometime mid-67.
About the only thing notable about this shot is that you'll notice that it says "Army" on the side of the aircraft! When the 1st Air Cav was originally created, their TOE called for them to have their own fixed wing aircraft for troop and cargo transport. At the time, the Cav was supposed to have one brigade of paratroopers and they wanted their own airlift capability.
A "pissin' contest" developed between the Army and the Air Force. The AF was upset about the Army trying to take over their (the AF) primary mission and the AF ultimately won. Accordingly, all the fixed wing aircraft (except a handful of recon aircraft) was turned over to the AF.

Flying "Last Light": Regardless of where our Cav troop was sent, the helicopters always flew what we called "Last Light" missions. These were flow just prior to sunset. They would circle around our perimeter for some distance looking for any signs of possible enemy activity. So it was a "security measure" of sorts. They also flew a "First Light" mission just before sunrise for the same reason.
Again, nothing of significance here other than I thought it was an interesting shot. I suppose it is rather significant to note that this shot was not shot from a tripod!. That was a piece of gear we never took to the field with us. Given the fact that this would undoubtedly have been an exposure too long for hand holding, I may have "fixed bayonet", stuck the rifle into the ground and rested the camera on that ....... some setup huh?
Attached Images

03-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #398
Pentaxian

Nice shots Bob - but they're even better with "the rest of the story"!!

03-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A "pissin' contest" developed between the Army and the Air Force. The AF was upset about the Army trying to take over their (the AF) primary mission and the AF ultimately won.
As a side note: The AF was on a roll at the time and decided to try to snap up the Navy's VR Transport squadrons using the same mission argument. Not wanting worldwide airlift for Navy cargo and personnel to be at the mercy of a landlocked AF scheduler, The Navy transferred its transport squadrons to the Reserves who were under an untouchable organizational umbrella and escaped the "terminal illness" of waiting for a flight home.

The better story is that it was the thought of Lt James Flatley, lll landing a C-130 on the USS Forrestal thirteen times that changed their mind about wanting the Navy airlift mission.

C-130 Hercules Lands on U.S.S. Forrestal

H2
04-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #400

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
As a side note: The AF was on a roll at the time and decided to try to snap up the Navy's VR Transport squadrons using the same mission argument. Not wanting worldwide airlift for Navy cargo and personnel to be at the mercy of a landlocked AF scheduler, The Navy transferred its transport squadrons to the Reserves who were under an untouchable organizational umbrella and escaped the "terminal illness" of waiting for a flight home.

The better story is that it was the thought of Lt James Flatley, lll landing a C-130 on the USS Forrestal thirteen times that changed their mind about wanting the Navy airlift mission.

C-130 Hercules Lands on U.S.S. Forrestal

H2
That's an interesting story. I didn't know the AF was trying to take the Navy mission as well.
I remember when I got up to the Cav, there were a lot of the original cavalrymen who'd been involved with the conceptual organization with the
11th Air Assault (Test) division, and they still had ill feelings about the whole situation. Their original concept was for the division to be fully independent operationally, and that meant being able to deliver and resupply the airborne/air cav battallions without having to rely on outside aviation assets.
In the end however, all they could hand onto was the rotary (helicopter) missions and the "Mohawk" fixed wing recon planes.
04-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #401
Inactive Account

Man, forgot about this thread.

Corned Mutton and TEA! I couldn't hardly choke the crap down. Anyway, Sully was my friend, and is one of the reasons I always think about my Aussie and Kiwi buddies on Long Tan Day ........ if ya' don't know what that is, Google It, ya' might learn something.
I think we later got US MCI, but no doubt there'd be several tons of WWII and Korea vintage rations that had to be used up first.

Things have come a long way, though: A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder ? M.R.E.s in Afghanistan - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

I always thought rations were cool.

And I still don't know why Long Tan isn't more well-known in Aus. It was a hell of a battle. Harry Smith finally got a Star Of Gallantry on March 9 this year for commanding the battle.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
If you liked him he must've been a Kiwi
A Kiwi wouldn't have eaten the mutton...
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't know the AF was trying to take the Navy mission as well.
Rice bowl protection at its best in the budget cycles. There's simply no substitute for organic airlift and close air support (CAS).

We deployed a squadron from west to east coast for a carrier deployment (in '78 I believe it was). On landing in Norfolk, VA we discovered they'd run the carrier aground shifting berths and there would be a 7 - 8 day delay in departure.

Since we no longer had an "operational priority" the Air Force MAC folks estimated 2 1/2 to 3 days to get around to us. One call to the Navy VR asset manager and we were re-packin' the two aircraft we flew in on and were airborne home again within three hours.

That sort of support doesn't look good to bean-counters on paper but it surely makes a big difference in operational readiness -- and morale, too.

H2
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #403
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Bob, for sharing those pictures, they are just as real as that war was. I might be from the ex-USSR camp (though wasn`t yet born when that war was raging) and have different opinions on reasons of this, and forthcoming wars - but I really honor you as a soldier who served his country well, and managed to stay alive to share pictures and stories.

Thank you again,
Nikolai.
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #404

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by masloff Quote
Thank you Bob, for sharing those pictures, they are just as real as that war was. I might be from the ex-USSR camp (though wasn`t yet born when that war was raging) and have different opinions on reasons of this, and forthcoming wars - but I really honor you as a soldier who served his country well, and managed to stay alive to share pictures and stories.

Thank you again,
Nikolai.
Nikolai,
I appreciate you sharing that with me. One of the defining things I leaned by the time I got home from Nam' is this little piece of wisdom .......... Wars (all wars) are started by Politcians, but they are all fought by soldiers and it's the soldier that makes all the sacrifices, NOT the politicians.
I certainly don't want this thread to become political, but the other thing I brought back with me is the firm belief that "No One desires Peace MORE than the man who has had his boots on the field of battle"!
04-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #405
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
That`s exactly what I tried to say Bob!

Thank you!
Closed Thread