Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bob, good to hear from you - sounds like the book is coming along. Great!

All of us are eagerly awaiting your next group of photos - thanks again for sharing with us.

05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #482
Pentaxian

Horst Faas

Bob, in some of your earlier posts you mentioned meeting and knowing Pulitzer Prize winning AP photographer Horst Faas - I was sorry to read of his passing today. Another great one gone.

Hope all is going well with you and your book - keep us "in the loop"!
05-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #484

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Horst Faas

Yes, I met Horst Faas and Henri Huett on my very first Combat Mission (Operation Cedar Falls). I'll NEVER forget meetiing them, they were both kind and caring men and took a genuine interest in the Military Combat Photographers and the job that we had. I've been in contact w/Joe Galloway (We Were Soldiers Once) He is also saddened by the new of the death of Horst Faas. The book is still in progress, it seems we just keep getting more and more military photographers who are stepping up and want their story included.
Bob

05-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #485
Veteran Member

Great stuff, did you happen to meet Larry Burrows at all?
05-18-2012, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #486

Original Poster
Larry Burrows

Yes, I did run into Larry Burrows on one occasion as well as many other well known photo journalists. An interesting note bout' that is that I found all of the "shooters", aka still photographers to be very helful, friendly and not at all arrogant or condescending toward the military photographers. The "on camera" network news people on the other hand always seemed to have an overall attitude of self-importance, arrogance and condescension.
In retrospect, I think the "shooters" were always behind the lens, never in front of it!
Perhaps for that reason, the photojournalists had a very different perspective of themselves, their job, and their position in life in general ..... just my 2 cents. But my experience was that the "on camera" people from the major media were of a very different attitude and demeanor.
05-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #487
Pentaxian

I just found this thread and read the whole thing from start to finish. Fascinating. Thanks for sharing your experiencesq and for your service.
10-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #488
NKK
Inactive Account

Hi Bob, Any news on the book?
Hope everything is going well.

10-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #489

Original Poster
We're still diligently working on the book and it's coming along; albiet slowly. We'd like to have it finished early in the coming year.
10-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #490
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
We're still diligently working on the book and it's coming along; albiet slowly. We'd like to have it finished early in the coming year.
Sounds great - i'm looking forward to see it.
10-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #491
Veteran Member

I'm going to jump in and say thank you for sharing your stories and memories with us.

I'm not yet finished reading this thread, but I'm absolutely hooked.

Once you complete the book I will more than gladly purchase a copy if you're willing to post one down to Australia (of course I'll cover shipping etc)
01-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #492
Pentaxian

Bob, in case you didn't see this Life magazine tribute to Larry Burrows - 'Reaching Out,' Vietnam, 1966 | Vietnam War: Behind the Picture | Larry Burrows’ ‘Reaching Out,’ 1966 | LIFE.com.

Hope all is going well with you and yours - and I know I'm just one of many who are eagerly awaiting your book.
01-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #493
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Bob, in case you didn't see this Life magazine tribute to Larry Burrows - 'Reaching Out,' Vietnam, 1966 | Vietnam War: Behind the Picture | Larry Burrows’ ‘Reaching Out,’ 1966 | LIFE.com.

Hope all is going well with you and yours - and I know I'm just one of many who are eagerly awaiting your book.
Great Pictures in that link - thanks for sharing.
And yes, i really hope Bob get's the book out too

It would also be great if this thread could get a couple of new pics, as i know a lot of people including myself have enjoyed it a lot - Bob?
03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #494
Veteran Member

Just saw this link: A soldier's eye: rediscovered pictures from Vietnam - The Big Picture - Boston.com

reminded me immediately of this thread, hope the book is coming along!

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 03-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.
08-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #495

Original Poster
Just a quick note to let everyone know that I still visit the forum occasionally but my e-mail has changed. Ya'll can contact me at: Combat_Photo@yahoo.com
Also we expect our book to be completed by years end. My co-author is meeting with our literary agent this week to begin the process of pimping it out to the publishers.
And finally, you can get somewhat of a "sneak preview" of our efforts by going to the WDTN website and look for our TV debut/interview. It's titled "Shooting Vietnam". It'll give ya a short (2 minute) preview of what we've done thus far.
Thanks to everyone on this forum for showing and interest in my project and my experience.
Closed Thread