Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #316
Forum Member

+1! Please Bob, have mercy and post some more!!!

10-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Howdy Quote
+1! Please Bob, have mercy and post some more!!!
+1 Thanks!
11-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #318
Forum Member

Hillerby, hopefully all is well. I want to THANK YOU as well for your service to our country and sharing your personal story/pictures. I could not imagine serving at a time like that when your country would not be behind you as it is nowadays; so thank you!! When you deploy nowadays some travel through Bangor, Maine and no matter what time of the day/night it is there is always a welcoming committee mostly comprised of Vets and I try to thank them for paving the way through a more challenging era.

As you might have picked up, I'm currently serving and gearing up to take another trip back to the AOR (debating on taking the K10D) but look forward to your future posts.

Thread is outstanding!

God Speed!!
11-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you

Thank you for serving and thank you for sharing.

12-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #320

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I've been AWOL ... Sorry!

Jeez, I didn't realize how long it's been since I've been here. I guess I lost track of time .... that happens when you get OLD!
Since I'll have some time available in the next few days, I'll try and post in a day or two.
To be very honest, I kinda' figured that interest in this thread was waning, but I can see that there are still those out there that want to hear bout' my stuff. I'll try to get some thoughts together and get back on here in a day or so.
12-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yee Haw - he's back!!!

Looking forward to your "stuff"!!!
12-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #322

I'm still eagerly awaiting more stories as well!

~ Joe

12-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #323
Veteran Member

Welcome back!
12-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good news!

Richard.
12-23-2010, 01:25 AM   #325
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
To be very honest, I kinda' figured that interest in this thread was waning,
Yea, right Just because we did not spam this thread with more "please post more" it does NOT mean we wanted you to stop! This is one of the coolest threads on PentaxForums so don't stop posting. Please!
12-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #326
Veteran Member

Fully agree that i have read each of your posts with maximum interest! Looking forward to the next one
12-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #327

QuoteOriginally posted by Howdy Quote
Yea, right Just because we did not spam this thread with more "please post more" it does NOT mean we wanted you to stop! This is one of the coolest threads on PentaxForums so don't stop posting. Please!
What he said ^
12-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #328

Original Poster
Holidays in Nam'

Well, I spent most of the morning tryiing to locate a picture that I know exists, but I've been unable to locate it so I'll have to describe what holidays were like then. Basically, Holidays Sucked ... like every other day.
First off, ya' need to understand that there was no such thing as a "day off". We'd occasionally have a day here or there, but for the most part; one day was like any other. Birthdays, Anniversaries, Christmas, Easter, New Year's .... it was just another Fu@#king day in the crotch! Since our Combat Photo Teams were typically attached to combat units in the field, we endured it like everyone else.
I remember my Birthday .... just another walk in the woods! Wedding Anniversary, Easter, Christmas, New Year's ..... just another day tryin' to beat the odds and avoid the "Angel of Death"!
Some of the units, if they were in a position to "stand down" for a while would have hot chow brought to them, but I never saw it. Turkey and dressing ... all the trimmings would be brought out if possible and of course "upper management" made damn sure there were photographs of the the festivities!
Christmas 1966 is the one I remember. My buddy and I were in the field and had gotten word that we should proceed to Pleiku to the 4th Infantry Division base there. It was our understanding that one of their units was about to kick off a major offensive operation and we were needed to augment their own photo team. When we got off the chopper at the base camp, we started walking toward the HQ to find out more. During our "little stroll", I remember quite vividly seeing some of the tents had Christmas decorations, and tinsel on them. As we passed one particular tent, someone had hand painted a sign that read, "BAH HUMBUG" in gigantic letters and hung it just below the decorations. My buddy and I agreed that the sign pretty much summed up our feelings at the time.
Now the really weird thing is that we both knew it was supposed to be a happy and joyous time, but it's impossible to "really get into the spirit" in that kind of environment. Somewhere I still have a photo of that tent, I just haven't located it. Essentially, your mind is so numbed by the drab existence, that you feel like you're looking thru a window from the outside and you really don't belong.
After over 40 years, I still feel like "I'm on the outside looking In"! Post Traumatic Combat stress will mess with your mind forever and that's one of the common feelings among Viet Vets. We know that it's a happy time and we want to see our children, grandchildren and family enjoy the holidays, but somehow, we often can't do it.
Every holiday was the same; no rest, no relaxation. You just endured another "day in the crotch" and tried to stay alive.
I'll enjoy it to the best of my ability and will enjoy being with family this Christmas, but I always feel like a little unfulfilled. I hope you all have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!
12-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bob, I've always been a kinda "bah humbug" kind of guy, but, I'll tell ya, my grandkids have made a huge impact on my attitude!!

I wish you and yours the very best this season - Merry Christmas!
12-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
After over 40 years, I still feel like "I'm on the outside looking In"! Post Traumatic Combat stress will mess with your mind forever and that's one of the common feelings among Viet Vets. We know that it's a happy time and we want to see our children, grandchildren and family enjoy the holidays, but somehow, we often can't do it.
Every holiday was the same; no rest, no relaxation. You just endured another "day in the crotch" and tried to stay alive.
I'll enjoy it to the best of my ability and will enjoy being with family this Christmas, but I always feel like a little unfulfilled. I hope you all have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Bob, you've expressed a feeling (very simply and well) that seems many have buried in the "don't talk about it" drawer. It's sort'a the adult version of learning there's no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny an' somehow there's just no goin' back to truly enjoyin' the myths after you've accommodated the reality of not being there in the moment.

It's an honor to share your company here. Thank you.

H2

Closed Thread