Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #361
Veteran Member

If you're on facebook become friends with Nick Ut, he posts a lot of interesting stuff from Vietnam (including a photo of Huet just a few days ago).

01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #362

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Henri Huet

Great shot of Henri Huet Bob !
Here's one of his photos that made the cover of "Life". For those who don't know, Henri Huet was a truly great photographer who lost his life in Vietnam.
Attached Images

02-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #363

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Pictures w/1st Infantry Div

I've got some shots here that I've converted to B/W from the original transparencies. I didn't really retouch any of the scratches, dust, etc. as all that seems to add a little to the authenticity.

These shots were all taken when I was tasked to cover Operation Cedar Falls/Junction City with the 1st Infantry Division. I think these were probably taken in either late 66', or early 67'. It was during these operations, that I met both Henri Huet and Horst Faas. In fact Faas was on the same slick with me going into the LZ. We split up from there and i didn't see him again for several months.

I'll mention in closing this post that I've managed to make contact with some other Army Combat Photographers from VN and have asked them to visit this thread and (hopefully) provide more perspective and info. Finally, I've also located the other "Bob" who was on my photo team when I was with the Cav. He has a very large collection of images that he's managed to digitize BEFORE they deteriorated. I'm hoping I can get him to collaborate with me on a book project.

Meanwhile, I'm looking to obtain either a bellows unit, or macro lens for some still life shots of some of my old gear from back then
Attached Images

02-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #364
Veteran Member

thanks a lot, @hillerby, looking forward for new postings in one of the most interesting threads on the forum!

02-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #365

Thanks for the new pics, Bob. The one of the guys gathered under the wing of the plane (I think it's a Caribou, but not certain) reminded me of the night I flew into Cam Rahn on a C-130. They parked the plane in a revetment on a remote part of the field and there was no transportation readily available to get back to the terminal. Rather than have 50-60 of us wandering around the field, they told us to wait by the plane for transportation. I flopped down on the tarmac, using my duffel for a pillow, and promptly fell asleep. Fortunately, no one moved the plane.
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #366

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Texas Transplant Quote
Thanks for the new pics, Bob. The one of the guys gathered under the wing of the plane (I think it's a Caribou, but not certain) reminded me of the night I flew into Cam Rahn on a C-130. They parked the plane in a revetment on a remote part of the field and there was no transportation readily available to get back to the terminal. Rather than have 50-60 of us wandering around the field, they told us to wait by the plane for transportation. I flopped down on the tarmac, using my duffel for a pillow, and promptly fell asleep. Fortunately, no one moved the plane.
You'd be correct, that IS a Caribou! Man can I remember using a duffel bag (more often, my rucksack) for a pillow.
02-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #367

Original Poster
Combat Photographer's Patch

I'm excited that my wife found this while digging thru more "stuff" the other day! I don't know how well it will show up here, but it's a patch that the 69th Signal Bn had made up for the Combat Photographers.
There were a LOT of "unauthorized insignia" worn in VN back then and this is one of them. I never had it put on my uniform, and it's still in the original condition. This could very well be the only one of these in existance, but I thought it was pretty cool to find after 45 yrs!
I know these were made in VN, probably by some local embroidery shop in Saigon and it was intended to be sewn on the left pocket of the jungle fatigues.

Attached Images

02-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #368
Veteran Member

Love token comes home from Vietnam War | Stuff.co.nz
02-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #369

First of all thanks to all vets who have posted in this thread and especially to Mr Hillerby for sharing his stories.

Please keep us all appraised of the book:
QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
I'm hoping I can get him to collaborate with me on a book project.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see some nice, professionally printed versions of your photographs and maybe some more stories to go with them .
02-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #370

Amazing story!
02-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a neat story! Thanks for sharing with us!
02-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep coming back to this thread and will be getting the book when it's out. Thanks Bob.

Greetings from northern Finland (currently -34.7 degrees Celsius)
02-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #373

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing this Camus, it's a very poignant story about a man I almost idolized when I was there.... even though we only crossed paths a couple of times, he definately made an impression on me.
02-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #374

Original Poster
Daspo & seapc

Those are military acronyms that stand for: Department of the Army Special Photographic Office, and Southeast Asia Pictorial Center. Both of those organizations were responsible for all military photographic resources not directly assigned at a Division, or Brigade level.
The reason for stating that, is that the photos I've attached this time around were shot by DASPO photographers. At the time I was in country, the DASPO photo teams would be sent to Vietnam on TDY (Temporary Duty) status for 2 or three months at a time, then return. We ran across their teams and worked with them from time to time when I was there.
I think after I left, those organizations as well as the 221st Signal Co. (Pictorial) took over all of our photo operations and detachments. They did the same type of job we did, but from what I've heard and read they were much better organized and controlled than those early days.
Having covered the preliminaries, on the the pictures at hand. All of these are shots of various activities in rear areas. As derogatory as the term REMF was (and still is), they performed a variety of necessary tasks required to keep grunts in the field. They worked very long, hard hours in some of the most primitive environments one can imagine.
Take our photo lab at base as an example. For those of you who are familiar with processing color and b/w film, you are well aware of the necessity of time/temperature control. Then there is the issue of clean filtered water for mixing chemistry and washing prints and film. At our labs, we used water than can only be described as being WET! It was minimally filtered and that in itself was an impossible task most of the time. It was definately unsuitable for drinking purposes and we didn't even use it to brush our teeth if we could help it.
Working in temperatures that can best be described as brain frying heat, it was next to impossible to even regulate the heat, let alone control it.
Maintenance and repairs were often made with field expdient measures, and sometimes without the appropriate tools. I have for example seen helicopter maintenance guys repair bullet holes in the fuselage with duct tape! That my friends, is what it was like in the rear. Granted, they had beds, showers (in some cases), and hot meals, but it was always hard work.
Even the guys on our Photo Teams had to pull their share of KP, Guard Duty, Filling Sandbags, Burning Shit, and building/improving defensive positions on our perimeter.
In closing, I'd like to post this link: The Vietnam Center and Archive, Texas Tech University
this site, is the Texas Tech Center for Vietnam Studies. They are the official repository for lots and lots of materials including photos of the Vietnam War. It's well worth visiting and I'm pretty sure that all the photos there are Public Domain.
Attached Images

02-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #375
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The picture THE LETTER HOME is utterly amazing!
Closed Thread