Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #436

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
45 Years Since I've Talked w/Him

Well, I finally spoke w/Dan the "Lab Rat" buddy from VN. We attended photo school at the same time and went to VN at the same time.
After we were sent to different Detachments, I never saw or heard from him again till a few days ago. We've also made contact w/another one of the Combat Photographers who was there with us.
Long story short, we're putting a Book/DVD presentation together and have begun working on it together.
I've attached the "conceptual" design for the book cover. We're anxious to get this project going "full steam ahead" in the days to come.
The really GOOD news is that he's got copies of ALL the pictures he processed (some of which I took). He's scanning those now and will forward all images to me as he gets them completed. At the same time, I've located a box full of my missing slides, negs, etc.
So, it looks like we'll have enough images to post on this forum as long as interest in the subject continues.
I'll be back to post more stuff in a few days.
THANKS TO ALL for your continued interest and commentary

Attached Images
File Type: pdf vnbookcover.pdf (741.2 KB, 400 views)
06-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #437
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a section reserved for your NVA counterparts from 40-50 years ago?

Damn, now I really feel old?

H2
06-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #438

Original Poster
NVA Combat Photographers!

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
With a section reserved for your NVA counterparts from 40-50 years ago?

Damn, now I really feel old?

H2
The NVA actually did have Combat Photographers. If I knew how to get in touch with some of them, we would includesuch a section. Interesting thought
06-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #439
Veteran Member

This thread brings me to tears more often than I'd like to admit. You should write a book, and illustrate it with these photos, really. It would touch millions, I'm sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
Thanks for lurking ......... I want to post more, but sometimes I have a tough time trying to figure out WHAT TO POST.
I do however appreciate, and am humbled, by the fact that our "little conversation" here has generated more views, replies, etc. than anything I've seen in this forum. I go through this forum (top to bottom) at least a coupla' times a week and I'm still amazed at the response we've had to this one.

06-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #440

Original Poster
The Book is in the Works!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
This thread brings me to tears more often than I'd like to admit. You should write a book, and illustrate it with these photos, really. It would touch millions, I'm sure.
Scroll a little further up on the page .... We are working on a book/DVD/Live presentation (travelling "freakshow") right now! We don't anticipate making any money off it, but it's something we feel a NEED to do for ourselves.
06-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NVA

The NVA actually did have Combat Photographers. If I knew how to get in touch with some of them, we would include such a section. Interesting thought
That would be an intriguing project. Sort of like the post-WW 2 international fighter pilot's associations. There's been collaboration in publishing books of that nature and there's authors and publishers with experience in that genre.

Possible leads from attributed photos in VN publications of that era?

Perhaps the Pentax Vietnam social group here on PF might also provide a research path.

Pentax Vietnam - PentaxForums.com

H2
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #442

Original Poster
Possible Alternate for Cover Art

I thought I'd post this possible alternate version of the "Cover Art" for our Book/DVD/Multimedia presentation that we're working on.

Attached Images

06-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #443

Hi Bob-

Not sure how much it would affect your costs, but you should look into doing an HD presentation instead of DVD for your master... you can always downscale to DVD, but there are many venues for HD, and you should have plenty of resolution available from the scans...

Markd
06-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #444
Banned

If your travelling 'freak show' is ever in my area I'll be there on the front row. If there ever was a thread that wouldn't die, and with good reason, this is it.

Keep it coming, I'm waiting on more stories, photos and memories.

I can't thank you and your fellow veterans enough.

VA
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #445

Original Poster
This is sumpthin' to Think About!

QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
Hi Bob-

Not sure how much it would affect your costs, but you should look into doing an HD presentation instead of DVD for your master... you can always downscale to DVD, but there are many venues for HD, and you should have plenty of resolution available from the scans...

Markd
Haven't considered that, but I'll pass that along to Dan. He's sort of our "techie" guru on this project. He works for Apple computer, so he's got all the latest gadgets to work with.
He was pretty good as a "Lab Rat" back then as well
06-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #446

Mr. Hillerby, thank you very much for your contribution to this forum. I came across it a few days ago and have read all 30 pages. I made an account just so I can thank you for your posts (I'm a Canon shooter! )

Please continue sharing whenever you can. Your photos give an amazing glimpse into the everyday life of the soldiers and civilians during the war.

I'm in the military myself, but I'm a newly commissioned butterbar Ensign so I don't have any stories to share yet! Thank you for your service to our country. As a Vietnamese American (born in the US), I want you to know that the Vietnamese community has the utmost respect for American Vietnam veterans and is eternally thankful for your sacrifices to defend our homeland.

Have you had a chance to visit Vietnam? It's a beautiful country that should be much easier to photograph now that the war is over!
06-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #447

Original Poster
Thank You!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by chronoknight Quote
Mr. Hillerby, thank you very much for your contribution to this forum. I came across it a few days ago and have read all 30 pages. I made an account just so I can thank you for your posts (I'm a Canon shooter! )

Please continue sharing whenever you can. Your photos give an amazing glimpse into the everyday life of the soldiers and civilians during the war.

I'm in the military myself, but I'm a newly commissioned butterbar Ensign so I don't have any stories to share yet! Thank you for your service to our country. As a Vietnamese American (born in the US), I want you to know that the Vietnamese community has the utmost respect for American Vietnam veterans and is eternally thankful for your sacrifices to defend our homeland.

Have you had a chance to visit Vietnam? It's a beautiful country that should be much easier to photograph now that the war is over!
Thank You ....... for your Service! I'm very humbled that you took the time to join and read thru all the stuff on our thread. I am particularly humbled when someone who is Vietnamese comments on my pictures.
I've never been back to Vietnam, but if I had the money to make such a trip, I would go in a second. I'd love to go back there. I fell in love with the country, the people, and the food! It is indeed a beautiful country. Some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen were over there.
06-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #448
Banned

I fell in love with the country, the people, and the food! It is indeed a beautiful country. Some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen were over there.
my father served from 70-72 as a helicopter crew chief and this is pretty much the only thing he ever talked about in regards to his time there. the country was beautiful, especially from the air. he passed away earlier this year and thats the only thing he ever said. it was beautiful. Ive seen his records and I know what he went through, he got a full military burial. but all he ever said was: "it was beautiful."
07-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #449

Original Poster
New PHOTOS being scanned!

Just a quick post today, to let ya'll know that I've located several hundred previously unviewed color slides and a few b/w negs. As soon as I can get a few scanned, I'll be posting them.
In addition, I've attached a revision to the Book/DVD Cover Art for our project. Any comments or critique will be welcomed!
Thanks & HAPPY 4TH to you all.
Attached Images

07-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #450
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any comments . . .
Bob, I like the background a lot but there's so much information in the "foreground" it becomes overwhelming and I forget what drew the cover to my attention in the first place.

Like good photography, a single compelling image on the cover would serve well to send me to the fly-leaf and back cover for more details. In my very limited experience with such efforts I've found it best to let the uninvolved "customers" guide the choice as I'm always too involved in my own imagery to grasp the topical attraction.

I'm lookin' forward to seeing this mature to a finished product.

H2
Closed Thread