Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #466

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow!

What time did I start reading this .... where has my evening gone?!

Brilliant story. Whenever you see photo's of war's on the news or in major publications, it always seems to be very action oriented, or very 'arty', it always seems to be trying far too hard to force some sort of message on to you. With your photo's though, it just feels nothing like that - possibly because these are your personal ones, but still, you can just feel that sort of laid back style, you're just snapping away and getting pictures of 'real life' in a war-torn environment.

It's so good to see and read about this kind of thing. It's so much better than the mundane "what type of software do you use?" "whats the best sharpening app to use?" "which DSLR has the best features?" bla bla bla.

Thank's so much for sharing these with us! A true example of what can be done with such kit, training, and hard conditions. Good look with the book, can't wait!

Tom

12-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #467
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bob, interesting article in PopPhoto.com about todays combat photographers - here's the link: PopPhoto Newsletter
12-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In a similar vein, here's an interesting read that offers contrasts between Bob's VN experience and a more recent scenario. It also reflects how photo documentation has become an integral, and necessary (?) part of the field "combat log" record.

"Camera Boy: An Army Journalist's War in Iraq", by Fred Minnick

H2
12-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I will start this off like so many others before me "I just found this", and like a great book I couldn't put until now, Bob. Thank you so much for sharing your memories and photos. I was onboard the USS Intrepid and USS Midway off the coast in '68 and '75 when it ended. Myself and two brothers were in the area at the same time in '68, one driving boats for the Army at Cam Ranh Bay the other driving Navy boats somewhere further down the coast. These three Texas farmboys had never seen that much water in one lake before. The only thing either shared were some of the lighter events they were involved in or observed.
Bob, all the posts that you have made are a pretty good starting place for the book and I am glad that responded to that first request for the Combat Photographers thread. Thanks, Cliff

02-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #470

Photos: Gallery
I found this thread a week back just worked my way through to the end. I really enjoyed seeing all the photos and wanted to say thanks.
02-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #471

Original Poster
Hard to Believe!!!

I've been working on our book project for the past several months and check in here only occassionally. I AMAZED that this thread continues to maintain an interest.
I'm currently trying to get more and more of my b/w negs and slides scanned for the book, but I've not forgotten my PENTAX FRIENDS.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get a few more pix posted here in time. This forum and the book project have been difficult for me emotionally. PTSD never goes away it just pops up at the most inconvenient times. As a result, sometimes, I have to get up and walk away from the forum and the book project for a period of time to get re-focused, but I will prevail.
Bob
02-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
I've been working on our book project for the past several months and check in here only occassionally. I AMAZED that this thread continues to maintain an interest.
I'm currently trying to get more and more of my b/w negs and slides scanned for the book, but I've not forgotten my PENTAX FRIENDS.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get a few more pix posted here in time. This forum and the book project have been difficult for me emotionally. PTSD never goes away it just pops up at the most inconvenient times. As a result, sometimes, I have to get up and walk away from the forum and the book project for a period of time to get re-focused, but I will prevail.
Bob
Speaking for myself, I enjoy your historical commentary, the fact that you were there, and your compelling images. We all admire compelling images. You have an inspiring story to tell and you present an admirable measure of courage to take yourself back there in the telling.

Cheers - and you shouldn't be amazed. We are humbled.

02-04-2012, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #473
Veteran Member

You shouldn’t be too surprised that this thread has resonated with so many Bob. For those of us of a certain age the Vietnam War was a seminal part of our lives. This was true even for Canadians. Pro or con the conflict was in the news, on TV every night and dominated discussion for the better part of a decade.

Yours is a compelling story and the fact the telling seems to be cathartic for you makes that story even more compelling. If your book ever gets to press be sure to save a copy for me.

Tom G
02-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #474
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too, subscribed to this thread after I read it start to finish and was captivated by the very real story and photos. So, very glad to see your new post, Mr. Hillerby. Take care of yourself and if you get the book done, reserve me a copy!
02-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #475
Forum Member

Bob, one thing before I forget - could you make sure the book can be shipped internationally? I think there are plenty of people (myself included) who are interested in your work but don't live in the US...
02-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #476
NKK
Inactive Account

Hi Bob,
I understand that it must be hard at times, to re-live all those memories.
But we all appreciate the picture-uploads you have made and really like how you put words on the pictures to, it tells the stories in a great way.
I can say that you can reserve a copy for me to, and i hope that you ship internationally
And please update this thread when you have a little extra time on your hands - it is really a great thread.

Thanks
02-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #477
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Bob
I can't tell you how deeply I regret not documenting my experiences during the liberation of Kuwait. I have so many visual memories from then but when I'm gone, so will they be.
I had my K1000 the whole time but, at 19 years old, my squadron flying sorties 24/7, I had other things on my mind.
I'm very happy that you decided to publish your photographs and I wish that I could do the same.
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #478
Inactive Account

Great post hillerby. I actually was put up in a hooch for two weeks with combat camera while in Afghanistan 10-11. I had a pentax k-x at the time stateside and was mildly into taking pictures but he really got me into photography. he shot with a pentax k-7 as well as a canon (I remember the pentax because he let me use it to learn some things and I feel in love with it.) it is amazing some of the shots you can get when, though I must say I have no idea how crazy you have to be when everyone else is worried about covering a perimeter and ensuring the high ground while "camera" (it was our nickname for him) was only worried about getting the right angle to lay in the middle of the mud for a shot. plus making sure we had our gloves on so his NCO wouldn't get mad at him and say he can't use it because of "lack of proper equipment."

-Currently serving 101 Airborne Division Commo
03-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #479

Original Poster
As ya'll may know, I've been working with one of my old buddies on a book and I've been very busy with that. I got some more negs scanned the other day and had planned on posting a few today THEN found out that my donation has expired. I'm gonna have to take care of that before I can post the photos.
At any rate, I'll busy myself with more scans and get some things posted at the first opportunity.
This project has turned out to be incredibly difficult at times, but we are determined to see it through. I've been searching through the National Archives to see if I can locate some of the shots I took that were turned in for assignment. So far no luck! However it's my understanding that they've just recently started digitizing the U.S. Army photos and they've got something like 50,000 images that have to be digitized and checked against the captions sheets for accuracy.
If any of ya' have a hankerin' to spend the time, go to fold3.com
There are thousands of photos there; all of which were taken by military photographers.
03-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #480
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll be sure and get a "donation" out to you once that book is done buddy!
Closed Thread