Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #526
Forum Member

Wow, so sad to hear of his passing.

My condolences to his family and RIP :/

10-22-2013, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #527

saddness

I came on here to see things about my brother I never knew. He was a wonderful person and helped many out there with PTSD....I miss him so much...
10-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #528

Wow. I just found this thread yesterday and have spent way too many hours at work poring over it. I am sad to hear of his passing but thankful to you Pentaxians who helped this man realize how appreciated his work really is! Blessings and peace to you all and his family.
10-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #529
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is sad news to hear, but I'm glad Bob shared so much and gave so much of his time to us and others. He is greatly missed, and I hope to have his book on my shelf someday soon.

10-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #530
Veteran Member

just saw this thread today and it's sad to hear Bob has passed away earlier this month. He will be missed, but he left us great things here at the forums. Hopefully his book continues to be published.
11-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #531
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw this news item today - mentions that some of the photos are from "the work of dozens of unnamed military photographers". Made me think of Bob........

Photographers document war and its aftermath in new exhibit - Yahoo News
03-03-2014, 01:02 PM - 5 Likes   #532

Hello all, I just joined the Forum after seeing all of the stuff about Bob Hillerby. I am Dan Brookes, Bob's co-author of the book we'd been working on for over two years now. Bob was a dear friend. We served together in Vietnam with the 69th Signal Battalion. Bob, as most of you know, spent most of his time in the field, a lot of it with the 1st Cavalry. I was the "lab rat" that Bob mentioned in some of his posts and spent most of my time at Camp Gaylor, Tan Son Nhut AFB in Saigon and later upcountry in Cam Ranh Bay. Our book, "Shooting Vietnam" is still on track and I hope to have it completed in a month or so. We are still shopping for publishers but have a friend and literary agent helping us. In addition to Bob's and my own story, we've managed to get eight other guys to write about their experiences also, almost all of them as combat photographers. My greatest regret is that Bob didn't live to see the completed project. I am still working with his family to finish up some details of his story. I'll keep you all posted on our progress as this gets wrapped up. Thanx for all the welcome comments and support you gave Bob during his time on the Forum. Dan Brookes

03-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #533
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad that the project is going ahead as planned.
03-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dan, thanks so much for the update. Wonderful news to hear that the book deal is still 'on track'. Please keep us informed - I know there's quite a few of us who want to get a copy of the book when it comes out.
03-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #535
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just finished reading through this thread... all 36 screens of it. It is amazing recounting of a bygone era. The pictures and Bob's story behind them are a pleasure to take in.

A few screens back I read of Bob's accident and passing away. What shock! He risked so much for his service and to have it all end in motorcycle accident is very sad. There is so much more I'm sure that Bob had to share both photographically and historically. I'm very, very grateful that we have this thread where he took the time to graciously write this down for us and for future readers. Rest in peace, Bob.

I am also happy to know that the book is on track. Hopefully it incorporates everything that Bob posted here too. Keep us posted!
12-23-2019, 10:27 AM - 3 Likes   #536

I think "Shooting Vietnam" will available around March, and may be available now on Amazon.
12-23-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #537
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazon does have it already on their site. Pre-orders are accepted.

amazon.com: Shooting Vietnam: The War By Its Military Photographers (9781526744005): Dan Brookes, Bob Hillerby, Joseph Galloway: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&
12-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #538
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomW46 Quote
I think "Shooting Vietnam" will available around March, and may be available now on Amazon.
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Thanks for posting the update! Looking forward to reading this when it's released.
12-24-2019, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Related, the US Army posted their 2019 year in photos
12-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #540
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the update. I have read the first pages of the book on the Amazon website. Looking forward to it's release.
Closed Thread