Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote

Btw, even if you're not an old film shooter it is very beneficial to know exposure "rules". Because human eye is a bad light meter, sometimes you miss the fact that you need to dial in some compensation. If you know the approximate exposure values for common situations, you know when the camera has them way off. Otherwise it is what camera offers and gut feeling of how much you should dial in. And mostly you don't have time to mess around with the spot meter to find out how black actually is the black cat.
I've in the process of convincing my daughter, who wants to get serious about photography as a hobby, of the wisdom in such an approach. To this end, I'm starting her out on a KX & an *ist DS with a 50mm f:1.7 M lens & a handheld meter. She doesn't yet fully appreciate the value of such seemingly antiquated methods, of course, but I believe she'll eventually thank me down the road.

07-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
That's what we used to call the "Sunny 2 Rule".
I bent the rule so much it snapped
07-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my three:
-putting camera with flash attached on the front seat of the car while driving - during breaking i'v lost hot shoe when camera dropped...
-mode dial switched by itself at TAv or B or in half way to this positions it happend to me many many times... (k7 has a lock)
-i got k10, k20 almost two years and i still make mistake what position is focus mode lever without looking at it, its hard to expect aux beam light when the position is AF-C or AF-M.
07-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yeah I can do that too. Only problem is when my DSLR's run out of batteries, my K1000 or PZ-1 are usually sitting home.
Yeah. The problem is that unless you will shoot only at 1/125, most cameras made in the last 20 years won't work without batteries.

07-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I forgot to turn off anti-shake before using my tripod.
07-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Forget to change from bracketing setting to single shot mode and wonder why every 3rd image looks like crap...
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I did this just last week: loaded the Super Pgm with ASA 200 film... but left the meter at ASA 100. Which wasn't bad, but I also left the exposure comp at +1.

I did this at the very first opportunity: the day I bought my Fed-3, I promptly took several shots with the lens cap on.

Problem with too many cameras, and trying to use them all in rotation: forgetting which combination of things turns the meter on etc. I've pushed buttons, pulled buttons, fought with the camera before realizing, oh...

When using automatics, my brain gets checked out and I don't use exposure comp nearly often enough. And when I do, see above.

07-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I once forgot to bring the camera. Really.
07-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #69
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
All of the above, some a few too many times.

Then there is the 1 hour drive to the perfect shooting location. It's 4 AM the sun is rising, the waters are calm. the camera is on the tripod, remote release in hand. at 5 the sun begins to peek over the horizon. "Click" and the LCD display's a beautiful image of "No memory card". Reach in pocket, Memory card holder is home...... I've since fixed that problem.
I had a similar problem when dawn broke over the lovely harbour in our town. I walked half an hour to the site, got everything ready, starting metering the scene.... and then realized I could not because the meter battery had died (had been only a few days since the camera's last use).
07-22-2009, 05:20 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I once forgot to bring the camera. Really.
I did this myself once or twice but didn't suffer the consequences, as I have a photographic memory.
07-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Just a little while ago, I was setting up for a product shoot and could figure out why the flash wasn't firing and the shutter was so slow. I guess leaving the camera in burst mode will do that to you...
07-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #72

In my film days, I remember grabbing my camera in a rush only to realize that I didn't bring any film.(Duh)

For digital, forgetting to turn off the IS when using my tripod. This usually happens when I'm half way into a shoot.
07-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #73
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cindy s Quote

For digital, forgetting to turn off the IS when using my tripod. This usually happens when I'm half way into a shoot.
Oh man, I did that one this morning got up at 4 for a sunrise scenery shot, shot all through the sunrise on a tripod with my IS on.
07-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Plankton Quote
Oh man, I did that one this morning got up at 4 for a sunrise scenery shot, shot all through the sunrise on a tripod with my IS on.
I noticed that when I set the mode to 2 second remote delay, the IS automatically turns off, when I switch the shooting mode back to single shot the IS comes back on automatically, so this is how I've stopped falling into that trap. But - you have to have the remote.
07-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #75
Inactive Account

Yeah, I was just reading that in another post on this forum, I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunatly this morning I was just snapping away, no timer.