Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

My top 5 "oh darns" as a Beginner/Intermediate Photographer

5. Forgetting to take a critical component to a shoot (e.g. remote release cord, extra batteries, important lens) that I left out of the bag.

4. The lens fogging over when I get out of the air conditioned car or building.

3. Not checking my white balance

2. Leaving the auto focus on or off when the opposite was needed.

1. Not checking the photos "in-camera" carefully enough for little "gotchas" before I call it a day.

What are some of yours?

07-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
3 - NOT turning off the timer and try to shoot a moving object DUH!
2 - Shoot continuously for several frames thinking you are bracketing: But you are not. (extra points for landscapes so you end up with the same picture 10 times)
1 - Not changing ISO back from 3200 or 1600. (Extra points if you start shooting high ISO in bright sun )

...and from my film days:
- Shoot and shoot only to find out the roll was not advancing

At least I'm good at something, even if it is messing up

Thanks,
07-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
5. Forgetting to take a critical component to a shoot (e.g. remote release cord, extra batteries, important lens) that I left out of the bag.
I've done this more times than I care to admit

QuoteQuote:
4. The lens fogging over when I get out of the air conditioned car or building.
This was never a problem for me: I lived in the middle of Florida and drove a car with no air conditioning ('85 Volvo 240) and almost never turned on the AC in my apartment.

Now, some of mine:

1. Forgetting to change the ISO. I finally customized the K200D so that it shows me my ISO on the top LCD instead of the photos remaining.
2. The stupid "CLAMP" feature on the D-FA 100mm Macro. I remember being really embarrassed once when I couldn't figure out why my camera wasn't taking a photo...and the CLAMP was in the wrong position.
3. Forgetting to turn Shake Reduction back on if I've turned it off for some reason (and suddenly wondering why my photos at 70mm at 1/15th are blurry!).
4. Whipping the camera out really quick (I carry mine with me everywhere) to take a photo and forgetting to take the lens cap off first.
5. Immediately dropping to my knees in the middle of a muddy path to take a photo I have to get...only to realize that I'm on my way to some social function where muddy knees are not acceptable
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote

...and from my film days:
- Shoot and shoot only to find out the roll was not advancing

..... and from my digital days:
- Shoot and shoot only to find out the pixels were not advancing.

07-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gfmucci Quote
I keep a bag loaded with all the basic essentials at all times, so that I can grab it at any time without giving it a thought & head out the door.
07-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

All of the above except the kneeling in mud. And a bunch more I will never ever admit to. And Ray, I keep a bag loaded too. Whn I was younger I would forget the bag. I don't forget anything anymore.
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

With me it's batteries that are charged and ISO.
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Forgetting I have set the camera to Av mode at f5.6, then later trying to shoot in low light.

"Tchak"
(five seconds later)
"Tchak"

07-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of the above and...

I've done all of the above, except maybe the knees in the mud thing but I have showed up at a fancy party wearing my photo hat, so it's probably close. I remember one particular frustrating day when I hiked a couple miles back into the snowy winter woods carrying my big sturdy (heavy) tripod to catch some ice melting in a stream only to realize when I got there I had forgotten the quick release plate...
But my absolute worse "oh darn" was that I will occasionally use my left hand to give a bit more shade on a bright sunny day. One day I was doing that for my Tamron 28-75 and then I mounted my fisheye...

NaCl(some who call me "handy" were not thinking about this shot)H2O
07-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager

Switch on flash, ready for indoor shot...
Click... no flash... waiting... another click (just like Phillipe)
Darn flash needed to be pushed fully into the hotshoe to communicate with the camera.
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
Forum Member

#1: Realizing that there's great light out there, but I forgot to get off the couch and shoot it.

I've done all those in the past, but not for a while now. I guess I've gotten more methodical. My GF shot for two days in Peru set at max ISO. She got lots of nicely composed photos with tons of noise. Whoops.
07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Inactive Account

#1 Forgetting to lower my iso settings when outdoors.

My backpack is always prepped and ready to go at a moments notice.
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This happened 52 years ago.
My wife's water broke but I had had everything prepared and ready to go for weeks. I had even rehearsed the route.
I grabbed her small suitcase and we hustled down to the car.
Part way to the hospital she noticed I had taken my gadget bag, not her suitcase.
She was quite calm. I was -------------- not.

The second child's birth was error free.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 07-08-2009 at 10:56 PM.
07-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

All of the above, some a few too many times.

Then there is the 1 hour drive to the perfect shooting location. It's 4 AM the sun is rising, the waters are calm. the camera is on the tripod, remote release in hand. at 5 the sun begins to peek over the horizon. "Click" and the LCD display's a beautiful image of "No memory card". Reach in pocket, Memory card holder is home...... I've since fixed that problem.
07-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Forum Member

My biggest blunder is turning my camera on and looking in the viewfinder to focus and meter only to realize I still have the lens cap on.