Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Hi Amanda,

As much as Iwould like to encourage you to install Linux, I am a computer geek who has used Linux more than a few times and like it, I don't think that would be beneficial for you. It is a great OS, Operating System, and does have wonderfull free programs but it is not the easiest thing to work with. I find it challanging!

From my little understanding of your situation I think free windoze(Windows) picture editing software might be better/easier for you. Although I have never used it I beleive Picasa is a decent photo editing software. I am not sure if it will do what you want but for your PC and knowledge level it should be a good place to start.

For more info look here:

Picasa

If you are confused and want more information do not hesitate to ask more questions, we are here to help you out.

05-06-2007, 06:12 AM   #17

Or download gimpshop. It's free.

Welcome to GIMPShop dot Net

"GIMPShop is a free Open Source image editor that is similar to the popular Adobe Photoshop. Specifically GIMPShop is a version of the GIMP that has been edited to be more user-friendly for Photoshop users."

Last edited by kskjon; 05-06-2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Adding some info
05-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
what i suspected. i have a K110D and i was also wondering this because unfortunatley my computer is so bad that i cant do any editing to my pictures. not even rotate or crop.
Hi Amanda...

Well, you seem to be touching on at least three possible subjects here: computer hardware and/or software, and graphics software.

Whether your computer is actually "bad" in the sense of electronically dying, or "bad" because it's about six years old now, either way does limit you somewhat. I realize that many of us are in tight financial straits due to school, families, etc, but something like a new Dell at $380 (or $11/month) would solve both possible sources of computer problems. If that's still a little rich for you, many cities have used computer stores who offer a limited guarantee on the computers they sell.

People have friends who work in the IT business and can help them shop the local buy and sell of the newspaper as well. You should be able to get a much newer and more capable used computer for around $150-$200. I watch the classified ads in the local newspaper for used computers for old age pensioners. It isn't hard to find good used computers for around $100 - $150 if you're patient. That's something that people living on a government pension can afford, and usually all the work they really require is totally reformatting the HD's, reinstalling the OS (W2K is lots and still supported), doing the updates, and they're off to the races.

Something like that would probably solve your computer woes. I do NOT recommend Linux to people unless you're relatively computer literate and enjoy spending time screwing with your computer. Linux, to my mind, is a hobby not unlike photography. I have installed it and played with it, but my bottom line is that even after having worked in IT for a number of years, I much prefer to simply install W2K Pro or XP and just get on with it. If you have a friend who loves some flavour of Linux and will support your computer for you, then by all means give it a go.

The actual graphics software to manipulate your images offers you a wide variety of choices. If you choose to stay with your current box, then you will find the demands of current versions of software like PhotoShop are out of the question. There are, however, lots of other options to choose from. Adobe used to offer a freeware "LE" version of PhotoShop with earlier versions (and perhaps still does). I have a number of copies kicking around the house that came with graphics cards. Actually fairly useful software. You could look to buy a used copy of an earlier version of PhotoShop, but that might be a bit harder to find. And then there are the assorted freeware/shareware options out there - none of which I have the least bit of familiarity with.

BTW, if you are a college/university student - or have a friend or family member who is one - the academic pricing for students on operating systems, PhotoShop, etc is very enticing indeed. I went back to school a couple of years ago to make the move from IT to GIS; once I saw the academic pricing, I loaded up on software while I had the chance.

Good luck whichever way you proceed from here. If you have more specific questions, I'm sure there's lots of people here who will fall all over themselves doing whatever they can to help you.
05-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #19

To get back to the original topic, desaturating all but one color only works if the thing you desire is the ONLY item of that color.

I once mistakenly wore a light blue shirt in front of a television bluescreen. This is how the weather broadcasters show up in front of their maps - only when I walked past the scene my shirt showed up as a pale ghost!! It was pretty funny, actually.

There are also green screens. The main point is not to wear or use anything in the color of your screen or it'll be transparent and the background will show through.

I make this point because desatrurating all but one color will only work in very limited, controlled circumstances. Most of the ads and such you see were done with layer masks, the fastest and easiest way to create the effect.

05-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Another option for Amanda, rather than buying a new computer, is to upgrade the innards, even just a little bit at a time.

If her computer is six years old, then there should be still serviceable used parts which would still be an upgrade to what is already inside her computer. It may be, for example, that she has a Celeron chip and could pick up a P4 rather cheaply. Same thing for RAM and a video card. If there is a university or tech school with a computer sciences department nearby, it would be worth contacting them about hiring a student to help find and install the components, if she doesn't feel comfortable doing it herself.

And big thanks for the link to GimpShop. I'll be installing the deweirdifyier plugin in the next couple of days. Having separate and disconnected windows for each component of GIMP is the one thing that really annoys me about the software.