Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #1

Taking color out of a photograph

my friend mentioned somehting to me that sunded interesting. she was wondering if i could take a picture with my camera that takes the color out of some of the picture but not all of it. for example the people in the picture are in color but the background is in black and white. i was sure you have to do this after the picture is taken like in a photo editing program but i just wanted to make sure. if any of you know that would be appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Amanda

05-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know of a couple different methods to do this in post processing (neither of which I have ever tried) but I don't think the software inside a camera has the capability.

Tim
05-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Amanda, as far as I know, you are correct. It can be done but it has to be done after the fact. You can convert to ALL black and white or sepia toned photos in the camera tho. Leastwise you can with the DS, I'm pretty sure you can with the K110 D also.

NaCl(on the DS you use the fn button during playback)H2O
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #4

One way to do it (in pp) is to add a desaturated layer over the original color layer, and use a layer mask and cut out the parts you want to be in color.

Quite easy in photoshop. Just google 'layer mask'

05-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #5

Like the others have said, not too dificult to do. What photo editing software do you use? Google for a tutorial of the editor of your choice. If you need more help I could get you a link. Just let me know which editor.
05-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
my friend mentioned somehting to me that sunded interesting. she was wondering if i could take a picture with my camera that takes the color out of some of the picture but not all of it. for example the people in the picture are in color but the background is in black and white. i was sure you have to do this after the picture is taken like in a photo editing program but i just wanted to make sure. if any of you know that would be appreciated.
As others have noted already, you can certainly do this in post-processing on your computer.

But there is also a way to do this in the camera - if you have the right camera. In the last year, I've owned three different cameras: a Canon PowerShot S3 IS, a Pentax K100D, and now the Pentax K10D. At least one of those cameras allowed me to apply a filter to an image while it was still in the camera that would basically retain only a certain color, while causing the other colors to be converted to grayscale. Say you were photographing a woman with blue eyes. You could cause her blue eyes to be in color, while the rest of the shot was grayscale. As far as I can tell, the K10D can't do this. I can't remember if it's possible in the K100D. I'm almost certain that the Canon PowerShot S3 IS could do it. I used it very rarely. The results were nicely done - but I'm not a big fan of this sort of thing.

Will
05-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
what i suspected. i have a K110D and i was also wondering this because unfortunatley my computer is so bad that i cant do any editing to my pictures. not even rotate or crop. anyways thanks for your replies.
Amanda

05-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Inactive Account

The best ways I can think of are with ACR 4 or Lightroom, both offer the ability to desaturate one color while leaving the others relatively untouched. I have used it several times and like the results.
05-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
As others have noted already, you can certainly do this in post-processing on your computer.

At least one of those cameras allowed me to apply a filter to an image while it was still in the camera that would basically retain only a certain color, while causing the other colors to be converted to grayscale.

Will
The K100D sort of has this feature. I believe that the K110D is the same.
It only works with JPG's, but when your viewing the picture click on Fn, then push left button.
Then use the down button to the color option.
Use the wheel to fiddle with the colors, some appear to make the image B&W with colored sections.
05-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
what i suspected. i have a K110D and i was also wondering this because unfortunatley my computer is so bad that i cant do any editing to my pictures. not even rotate or crop. anyways thanks for your replies.
Amanda
Tell us what your computer is (we promise not to laugh) and someone might know of a program that you can use.

If your running an OLD PC you might just consider changing the Operating System to Linux. Or better yet, wait until Ubuntu Studio gets released and use it.
They're free programs, that don't require the best computers to run on.
05-05-2007, 03:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What I do, using Photoshop, is a really easy technique. Copy & paste the photo. Convert the photo to black & white then erase/delete the relevant parts.

05-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
What I do, using Photoshop, is a really easy technique. Copy & paste the photo. Convert the photo to black & white then erase/delete the relevant parts.
"Erase" is a four letter word in the Photoshop world. You should use an adjustment layer to create your black and white version and use the layer mask to bring back the color area you want. Non-destructive editing.
05-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #13

Exactly what I was going to say. For Dummies:
1. Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Hue/Saturation. Click OK.
2. Drag the Saturation slider all the way down to -100 and click OK. The whole image should now be in black and white.
3. Bring up the Layers palette and select the newly created layer "Hue/Saturation 1".
4. Use the paintbrush tool to paint over areas you want to return the colour to (black will let the colour come through, shades of grey will let lesser amounts through, and white will block it.)

SupremeMoFo - I really like the treatment of that image - gives it an almost anachronistic feel. Well done.
05-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #14

Original Poster
My computer is hp pavilion 7840 and its windowsMe Millenium Edition. How exactly do i change the operating system to Linux? i have no idea what this means. haha sorry im not very good with computers. just want one to edit and play with my pictures.
Amanda
05-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

your computer would fly with Linux then

It's similar to installing Windows, just save it to a disk and leave it in the disk drive.
Re-boot the machine, and it'll walk you through it... for the most part.

I've gotten it installed myself easily enough, but never fine tuned it. I've got friends that can do that for me.
I believe that there's a linux forum, so you might be able to locate someone who lives close to you to give you a hand

Gimp, which is a free Linux program is a lot like Photoshop, so you'll have most of your editing software there.

I wish that I could help you out more.