Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What will Dpreview give the K-7

Everything they've reviewed lately has been getting a highly recommended, but I have a feeling that will end when they review our newest Pentax camera.

07-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe they will give it a Highly Recommend (without any reservation), just to get the Pentax mob off their back
07-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I believe they will give it a Highly Recommend (without any reservation), just to get the Pentax mob off their back
They will review it using their standard methodology: JPEGs first and foremost, at default settings, with a bit of RAW testing thrown in too. Since I doubt that the Pentax JPEG engine at default settings will please them much, the K-7 will get knocked a bit on image quality. It may still get a 'Highly Recommended', but there may be a parenthetical modifier to it. And there will be much lamentation throughout Pentaxland.
07-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Highly recomended (just) or highly recommended (If you shoot raw)

07-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Highly recomended (just)", but what they really mean would be "Below Average" cos "Highly Recommended" is "Average" in actuality. The truth is the final rating has become so meaningless, I wonder why people are so bothered by them. Just read the details and forget the rating.
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Highly recommended (with reservations)
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
and
Veteran Member

Highly recommended (insert "BUT..." statement here).

Tho if we look at the k20d which has a very similar photo output>
* Continuous shooting rate slow by modern standards
* Hot pixels can occur and can't be automatically removed
* Noise reduction cannot be raised as high as the competition
* Live view mode adds very little to the camera (it is neither seamless nor able to usefully magnify)
* Autofocus not as fast or consistent in low light as the more expensive competition
* Menu navigation a little clunky and won't revert to last-used location
* Would have been nice to have hard buttons for White Balance
* Average automatic white balance performance, still very poor under incandescent light
* Flash must be raised for AF assist (although AF works even in very low light)

it would seem several of those have been addressed. Im sure they will find some new ones

07-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think DPReview will rate the K-7 as "Highly Recommended" without any feeble (Just) comments.
07-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Igilligan

It depends

If they get a good copy, they will probably give it a HR with res...

If they get one that has the green line down it, or one with the crazy noise issues like was just posted on DPR, then all bets are off.

I do hope they get a good copy, without any serious issues... or else the angry tears may just drown us all!
07-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It depends on if Pentax puts a Canon or Nikon badge on it.
07-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As someone who puts little credibility in technical reviews (there is always some form of bias), I really hope the K7 does well. As a recent convert from the Olympus side (for the past 5 years), I am counting on the K7 to be the E-1 replacement Olympus never made. The E-1 has a cult like following (myself included). Still have mine and never will get rid of it. Great ergonomics, quiet shutter, smooth IQ with great colors...

I want to see Pentax solidify their place in the market with a well rounded, well received body. We know the IQ is there (k20), but the other 'parts' of the camera complete the package. It is important that expectations are in line with where the K7 fits in the market place. It's not full frame, so ISO comparisons are irrelevant. It's not entry level, although the pricepoint is only slightly higher. It's kinda in a league of its own.
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well

The K20D received a "Highly Recommended" rating and this camera actually fixes a lot of the things they listed in the cons. So unless there are quality control issues I don't see the K-7 faring any worse.
07-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Highly Recommended

As many have already pointed out, K20D got Highly Recommended witout any clauses. I don't hink K-7 will be different. K-7 will get exactly the same marks as K20D, except performance, here it will get 8.5 (0.5 increase compared to K20D).
07-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
It depends on if Pentax puts a Canon or Nikon badge on it.

LOL

gerald
07-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I heard they'll be introducing new review criteria such as "everyone-has-one factor" and "lots-of-money-status factor" so I'd expect they give it a "pass" recommendation.