Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Talking of DOF...

Years ago I had a Canon film camera (EOS 1000). It had a DOF feature where you autofocussed on the front point, then autofocussed on the rear point, and the camera calculated the aperture needed to achieve the DOF between the two points. There was no need to worry about DOF tables, nor looking at DOF scales.

That was 20 years ago, and these days we have far more computing power in our cameras. Why doesn't Pentax offer a feature like that? (I have a K100D, so if a Pentax body does it, how good is it?)

07-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
That does sound like a nice feature. Some digital DSLRs have it in the form of "auto depth of field". The camera calculates the necessary aperture to get two objects in focus. I think the two objects are automagically chosen by the camera using the focus points. That's how it worked on my Canon 350D (I never used the feature so I might have some details wrong).

Adam
07-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That feature caused us more customer complaints than any other. It turned out to be a useless feature because on consumer stupidity. I don't think Canon offers it on a camera any longer because of the problems associated with it.
07-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Canon still offers it. It's called "A-Dep".

07-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The depth of field scales used to be engraved on virtually every lens. It still is on many new lenses, even zooms. It is relatively easy to use at a glance without the need for cute electronic tricks.

Mickey
07-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
The depth of field scales used to be engraved on virtually every lens. It still is on many new lenses, even zooms. It is relatively easy to use at a glance without the need for cute electronic tricks.

Mickey
I have been looking at a PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4 and wondering: "Hmm, how accurate is that DOF scale anyways?" Anybody ever did any serious testing?
07-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by impact Quote
I have been looking at a PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4 and wondering: "Hmm, how accurate is that DOF scale anyways?" Anybody ever did any serious testing?
I think that the accuracy of the depth of field scale depends upon what you, the user, consider acceptably sharp. Only you can set that standard. If you have the time and inclination to test each of your lenses at each f stop and distance setting well, have fun.

I, not being a professional, am quite content to abide by the manufacturer's choice. Should I wish to increase the depth of field I can always stop down the aperture.

I also have the option of visually checking depth of field in the viewfinder of my SLR before I take the picture. This is not possible in a rangefinder or non SLR camera.

Mickey