Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you fire more in...
Manual focus 6431.22%
Auto focus 10752.20%
I don't know, pretty much balanced on both 3416.59%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With my AF lenses I would say 98% of the time. Sometimes in bad light or for a macro shot I will manual focus. I have a good collection of manual glass which I do use often, especially the 200 Takumar. I find the AF lenses a little difficult to manual focus and my as my eyes are aging I use AF lenses quite a bit. I would probably own everything in an AF lens if I could afford them. There is no way I can get quick shots or do much sports shooting with a manual lens anymore. The IQ of that vintage Pentax glass is too good to give up manually focusing altogether and as I mentioned, I can't afford the AF lenses I want anyhow. Right now my lens collection is about 50-50.

07-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use AF almost all the time - but I "tweek" focus as I see fit.

Again - as I dig out my soapbox - I de-couple AF from the shutter button. AF only happens when I tell the camera what to focus on - the camera does not choose what is in focus. So in that since - I use AF 99% of the time - but is is for of FA (Focus Assist) rather than the other way around.

When I want the camera(s) to take a picture - I push the shutter button. The camera trips the shutter, just like I want it too. The camera does NOT decide what is the object to be in focus - each time I trip the shutter.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
07-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #18

I almost always use the autofocus but I will sometimes fine tune with manual focus if I don't think the autofocus was right on the point I wanted.
07-20-2009, 02:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I shoot MF in low lighting situations even with autofocus lenses. My cameras sometimes hunt and when shooting small children ( just did my neice's 4th birthday party today), I can't wait for the lag as chidren are fast movers.

Outdoors in bright light I shoot AF.

07-20-2009, 03:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Digital cameras and lenses don't have REAL features and design for MF other than disabled AF, so it is AF most of the time.
07-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Digital cameras and lenses don't have REAL features and design for MF other than disabled AF, so it is AF most of the time.
Not true if you use older manual focusing lenses, as I do.
07-20-2009, 04:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Most of my small product & macro projects are shot with manual focus (consistent control from shot to shot during a session), but just about everything else is done using auto-focus. So, I guess that breaks down to perhaps 70% handled with auto-focus.

stewart
+1 for me...I am exactly the same. Are we realted? Mom? Dad? Uncle Bad Touch?

07-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Auto focus I great when you are balancing your beer on the top of your pregnant man tummy while you try to open your "Spillage Backup" beer with your teeth...you can still bang off some shots of your mail order bride with you right hand.

Joking aside....it's easier to take control when you have almost everything manual.....
Is that in 'rapid fire' mode? Or single shot mode?
07-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #24

Being a beginner, I generally go with AF while I work on aperature or shutter speed. I can only handle so many challenges at a time.

That said, there is a growing number of circumstances in which I will use manual focus.
07-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #25

Most of mine are manual primes, so manual focus pretty much dominates. The only autofocus lenses I have are the kit lens and an old Sigma 70-300 DL
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Digital cameras and lenses don't have REAL features and design for MF other than disabled AF
I'd say that's partially true, but partially not. True, the built-in focus screen is not a split prism, and lenses designed for fast AF by necessity have short focus throws and hence aren't ideally suited for MF. And the smaller size of APS_C compared to 35mm format means a given FOV will yield a smaller image, making focus more difficult.

However, the micro-prism design of a modern DSLR focus screen is brighter than a ground glass - this was a feature designed for MF. Also, Pentax provides the "quick shift" focus clutch on all of the "digital" lenses they design and build (eg, all DA's except the 18-250), which is another feature designed for MF. And of course, the viewfinders on pretty much all Pentax DSLR's are somewhat bigger and/or brighter than most of their direct competition - also a feature clearly designed to improve MF success. Finally, don't forget the focus confirmation signal Pentax builds into all their DSLR's (if in a somewhat limited form for the K2000).
07-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have both manual focus lens and auto focus but probably use manual focus on the auto focus lens 70-80 % of the time especially the longer telephotos. jim
07-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #28

100% with my Manual Focus lenses and ...

.... about 95% Auto Focus with my AF lenses

Cheers,

Jack
07-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
+1 for me...I am exactly the same. Are we related? Mom? Dad? Uncle Bad Touch?

LOL. Well, hello little nephew. Why haven't you come by to visit lately? We used to have so much fun.

Seriously, I forgot to mention my one, rarely used, manual focus lens (100-500mm). While it wasn't specifically mentioned, it was included in the estimation of how often I use manual focus.

stewart
07-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #30
Forum Member

I put put both because I use both. With my two new primes, it is all manual focus...so give me a few more days and that would be my only answer.