Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you fire more in...
Manual focus 6431.22%
Auto focus 10752.20%
I don't know, pretty much balanced on both 3416.59%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All manual here for some reason. It grew out of starting with Takumars I guess, but even with the DA 16-50mm or 90mm Tamron I use manual all the time. It isn't so much a conscious choice even, I just don't know how to use AF, don't so much care to learn, and in the end, the results are pretty much the same I'd imagine.

07-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Not quite enough options in the poll question, I think.

I use what I guess I'd describe as semi-automatic auto-focus. I focus when I want to using the AF button: auto-focus does NOT occur when I press the shutter. I have a Katz Eye screen in my main camera, and when I'm using a Pentax lens that allows for focus override, I will use it to adjust focus when I think I need to. This seems to work fine and provides what I think is the best of both worlds - speed and convenience on the one hand, and control, on the other.

Will
07-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #33
Inactive Account

I shoot macro more than all other subjects combined, so I do mostly manual focusing. When doing non-macro stuff I generally use AF unless I'm using my A* 85mm or if the conditions aren't conducive to AF.
07-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Auto-focus 95% of the time. It's quick and accurate. Unless in very dim light.
Occasionally use manual when I know the distance I'm shooting, so I'll first use AF then switch to MF so the focus doesn't change through a series of shots over time.

I only ever use the centre point for focusing. I know exactly what I want to focus on, and I usually want to focus on it quickly, so I don't understand the use of 11-point AF etc?

07-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Auto-focus 95% of the time. It's quick and accurate. Unless in very dim light.
Occasionally use manual when I know the distance I'm shooting, so I'll first use AF then switch to MF so the focus doesn't change through a series of shots over time.

I only ever use the centre point for focusing. I know exactly what I want to focus on, and I usually want to focus on it quickly, so I don't understand the use of 11-point AF etc?
What if, for compositional purposes, you don't want the subject to be in the center of the frame? Focus-and-recompose can sometimes lead to focus errors, particularly if you are using a narrow DOF. Hence, having multiple AF points can be helpful.
07-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
What if, for compositional purposes, you don't want the subject to be in the center of the frame? Focus-and-recompose can sometimes lead to focus errors, particularly if you are using a narrow DOF. Hence, having multiple AF points can be helpful.
I centre-focus and then compose every shot. Granted, I hardly ever use a very narrow depth of field, where I can see why it would be useful. Apart from that though, i find the centre-focus gives you more control. You choose the exact point of focus without relying on the computer to choose it.
07-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a mix of AF & MF lenses and often go MF in any case for birds (because they're often among branches which confuses the hell out of AF) and close-up flowers etc. All in all, I'd guess about 1/3 of my shots are MF.

07-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I centre-focus and then compose every shot. Granted, I hardly ever use a very narrow depth of field, where I can see why it would be useful. Apart from that though, i find the centre-focus gives you more control. You choose the exact point of focus without relying on the computer to choose it.
I don't mean allowing the camera's computer to choose the focus point. You can manually select the focus point, unless you're using the K2000/K-m.
07-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #39
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't entirely trust my AF, especially in lower light, so even if I do AF I'll still double-check by a manual focus. Seems sad that this is the case considering my old Canon film SLR was bang-on pretty much every time in nearly every kind of lighting situation.
07-22-2009, 02:44 AM   #40
Forum Member

Split 50/50.
07-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #41
K-9
Veteran Member

Before I got the K20d, I'd say I manually focused about 95% of the time, but after getting the K20, and what I feel is an excellent and accurate AF system, that number is probably down to about 75%. Anything shot at distances is with AF, but anything closer to the camera I would only ever manual focus.
07-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use AF (centre point and AF button) with AF lenses and MF only with MF lenses.
I have three MF lenses I use regularly and I don't hesitate to choose them so I have no problem with MF. It was a lot easier on a film camera though.
07-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I don't mean allowing the camera's computer to choose the focus point. You can manually select the focus point, unless you're using the K2000/K-m.
But if you don't use centre-point focusing - if you're using multi-point focusing, doesn't the camera's computer just choose one of the points over the others to focus the lens on? Sorry, I don't really know how the technical details work.
07-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #44
Veteran Member

af most of the time - i would like mf if the diopter went to -2.0
07-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #45
Pentaxian

But if you don't use centre-point focusing - if you're using multi-point focusing, doesn't the camera's computer just choose one of the points over the others to focus the lens on?
There is this automatic mode where the camera selects any AF point that finds something in focus, but there is also a manual selection mode where you can manually select the AF point the camera should use to obtain focus. In this mode you can use the four cursor keys around the "OK" button to move the AF point selection around. One configuration of the "OK" button is to reset the AF point to the centre position (at least this is the case on the K100D).

I only shoot in this mode. The alternative of using the centre point and then recompose may
  • result in misfocus when the DOF is very shallow (rotating the camera changes the distance to the point you are focusing on), and
  • maybe too slow when you are tyring to capture something moving (e.g., a tennis player you don't want to have in the centre of the frame).
A potential disadvantage is that the AF points outside the centre, in particular the two outermost ones, may not work as accurately. But for me they work well. Definitely better than manual focusing without focusing aids, in my experience.