Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you fire more in...
Manual focus 6431.22%
Auto focus 10752.20%
I don't know, pretty much balanced on both 3416.59%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Normally, I will autofocus but if the system hunts or cannot focus properly, I'll get it close manually and the autofocus takes over no problem. Low light especially.

08-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #62
Forum Member

M or AF

Autofocus. Center Point
08-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #63
Forum Member

I shot autofocus all the time (unless I shot macro).
08-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I use manual most of the time now,that I have a few manual primes.I find it refines your skill as a photographer who wants to learn.

02-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #65

Mostly manual shooter here. One of the benefits for me: it helps slow me down so I think about composition. I do tend to shoot more posed portrait shots so that is also a factor.
02-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #66

Is a replacement split prism focusing screen much of an advantage for manual focusing? I did not see much comment on it in this thread. Or is it just assumed that everyone is using one? I'm beginner level in DLSR.
02-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frascati Quote
Is a replacement split prism focusing screen much of an advantage for manual focusing? ...
Yes, at least I find it useful when I'm manual focusing.

QuoteQuote:
Or is it just assumed that everyone is using one? I'm beginner level in DLSR.
I don't think everybody is using one. The Katz-Eye screens, which have the best reputation, are not cheap. I have just one; my other cameras don't have it.

Note that the focusing screen is somewhat useful even for auto-focusing, because it gives you a clearer indication of what's in focus in the center of the screen than the little red dot does.

Will

02-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #68

Interesting. I read a criticism of the K-X is a lack of on screen AF indication. If I read it correctly that is. In any case, it's usefulness is debated when the subject comes up. But in any case, a replacement split screen focusing screen would seem to be a remedy?

postscript....

I was just googling information/comment on this topic and found one very intruiging post in another forum.
Someone suggested that his eye tends naturally to refocus within a certain range while setting up certain shots. Concerned that this might actually differ slightly from what the sensor itself was 'witnessing' he installed a split prism screen in order to eliminate that variable. The human eye does indeed correct within a certain range, but my eyes are almost 50 years old, so this wouldn't affect me anyway. But it's a very interesting question regarding how much you can trust your eye's interpretation of the actual focus registering on the sensor. Is this foolishness? Would you need a degree in physics, lens design, and opthamology to rationalize this?

Last edited by frascati; 02-17-2010 at 12:27 PM.
02-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frascati Quote
Interesting. I read a criticism of the K-X is a lack of on screen AF indication. If I read it correctly that is. In any case, it's usefulness is debated when the subject comes up. But in any case, a replacement split screen focusing screen would seem to be a remedy?
Well, I will admit that, when I'm auto-focusing on the camera with the Katz-Eye screen installed, I'm grateful to have the red dot blink. I use the Katz-Eye sometimes as a sort of confirmation. And of course I rely on the Katz-Eye when I manual focus (which I don't do all that often).

I grew up with split focusing screens. When I started to shoot digital, one of the first things that struck me—negatively—was the lack of a split focusing screen. To be honest, I still don't understand it. It's true that, especially with the nice, bright finders in the higher-end cameras, you get a crisp view of what you are looking at. But I still don't find the finder without the Katz-Eye a very reliable way to fine tune the focus. THe split screen is a big help.

Will
02-20-2010, 02:59 AM   #70

Photos: Albums
I would love to shoot AF, but right now I have manual lenses only
04-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #71

i use auto focus more, if i shoot in low light or auto focus doesn't works , i will use manul
04-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #72
Inactive Account

Most of the time its AF, sometimes MF. I'm just as comfortable in both practices.
04-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I was wondering how long it would take for these kinds of threads to be bumped up to the top. I prefer autofocus, it's less work for me and I'm lazy. I totally admit it.
04-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me its almost always manual focus, only one of my lens even has auto focus and I don't even use that very much.
04-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto focus, .....not by choice but with glasses and questionable eyesight, I dont have a great deal of option.
Haven't abandoned manual altogether though.