Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions for macro photography

I would like to do some macro photography with my K100D. Currently I only have the 18-55mm kit lens. Considering I do not want to spend an arm and a leg, what lens do you suggest I get, or are extension tubes a viable option? If you take macros, what do you use? Thanks in advance.

05-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

A screw on close up lens is probably the cheapest option. A used manual focus macro lens from KEH.com would probably be next, price-wise, but better optically.
05-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Most telephoto zooms appear to have a macro setting. So if you will want one of them as well why not buy the telephoto first. It's almost like having 2 lenses in 1.
Although you'll probably still want to get a dedicated macro some time in the future.

Also the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye has a macro setting, and happens to be fun to use.
05-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Most telephoto zooms appear to have a macro setting. So if you will want one of them as well why not buy the telephoto first. It's almost like having 2 lenses in 1.
Although you'll probably still want to get a dedicated macro some time in the future.

Also the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye has a macro setting, and happens to be fun to use.

Though definitely fun to use, there is no macro setting on the 10-17. It simply focuses closely (.46 ft) to about an inch in front of the lens. However, it has significant distortion that most people want to avoid for macro shots, and the lens is equal or higher priced than some true macro lenses.

"Most" zooms might have a "macro" mode - but not the inexpensive Pentax 50-200, and the inexpensive Sigma 70-300 only has a 1:2 macro in the 200-300 mm range. Tamron's 70-300 goes to 1:2 with having to slide a switch.

However, "true" macro lenses typically are corrected to have a flat field of focus and other refinements that make them the better choice for heavy macro use.

05-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

frank,
give us a price range.
i've got a set of hoyas #1,2,3 62mm diopters i'll ship for $18usd. figure thay price up to $XXXXXX .
05-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
I would like to do some macro photography with my K100D. Currently I only have the 18-55mm kit lens. Considering I do not want to spend an arm and a leg, what lens do you suggest I get, or are extension tubes a viable option? If you take macros, what do you use? Thanks in advance.
I been wanting to get into macro forever.. but couldn't really afford real good dedicated macro lens.. After reading a tons of forum, everyone suggest that extension tube would yield the best IQ.. Anyway, I bought one and I been really happy with it.. However, since you have to use ur camera in M mode.. the DA lens won't work with this w/o some complicated trick.. I use the extension tube with my Tamrom 28-200mm XR and I have been really happy with it.. Problem is that you have to be careful because dust can easy get into sensor when u play aroudn with tubes.. Check my flickr for some samples.

Good hunting!
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

See if you can find a used SMC Macro Takumar 100mm f/4 lens in the M42 screw mount. I have one and it has become my favorite lens for most situations, not just macro. It will focus down to 1.5' and weighs a little over 12 oz.

Pentax makes a k mount adaptor so that should not be an obstacle.

While many tele zooms have a "macro" setting, they are not true macro lens. And most macro work is done using manual focus.

This is a fine affordable lens and I found mine on eBay a couple of years ago.
05-17-2007, 04:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I recently purchased the Cosina 100mm f/3.5 from B&H. I got the manual focus version for about 120.00.
It is sharp and contrasty, easy to focus, and goes to 1:2 without the included closeup diopter lens that takes it to 1:1.
I don't tend to do a lot od macro work but wanted the capability, and this one fits the bill nicely.
I also agree that some of the older Pentax lenses from KEH would make a good choice as well.

Walt

05-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been doing macro on the cheap for a while now, I used the kit lens cuz you can get inside of 7 inches to shoot. Then I got adventurous and got some magnifying filters for it and got even closer, I got a +1, +2 and +4. You can get up to a +10 and I think they make a macro one as well, not sure how much magnification that one makes. But that is macro on the cheap, and it will work on your 50-200 as well if you have one.

We are talking under $30 for a kit as well.

And they can be combined to be used all at one, just make sure you clean them well, that is a lot of glass to maintain.
05-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

or make a lens reversing mount out of a body cap+adapter ring= $5