Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you guys peak out of the viewfinder with your left or right eye?
My left eye 2745.00%
My right eye 2643.33%
I don't know, or a little bit of both. 711.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you guys peak out of the viewfinder with your left or right eye?

I peek out of it with my right eye.

07-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Damn Brit

This question is neither about Style or Technique, it is a question of brain and body chemistry.

Be careful where you post.
07-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
This question is neither about Style or Technique, it is a question of brain and body chemistry.

Be careful where you post.
Ok sorry. Thank You.
07-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I look with my left eye.

07-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I close my left eye when I shoot...which I can't do very well with my right. Not sure if you're supposed to close one eye or is that bad form?
07-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I close my left eye when I shoot...which I can't do very well with my right. Not sure if you're supposed to close one eye or is that bad form?
Who cares about form as long as you take a good picture
07-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you mean by 'peak out of" the viewfinder? Do you mean look through it?

07-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I am "right-eyed," also known as right-eye-dominate. I close my left to shoot (both cameras and rifles), but I'm right-handed, too. My daughter is right-handed, but left-eyed. Makes for some interesting contortions when shooting a rifle.

How to tell which you are:

SportVue: Eye Dominance Test
07-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
emr

BTW, this topic's been covered earlier...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/51629-right-eye-vs-left-eye.html
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
It's good form for a lot of things to keep the left eye open, and simply shift your attention back and forth: (advantage for the right-eyed, there) ... it keeps you more aware of what's going on around you. If you start from there, it's usually pretty obvious/natural when closing the left eye is helpful. The default state is really with that other eye open, though.
07-25-2009, 04:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In ancient times you viewed with your right eye, lest you have it poked out by the film advance lever.

Chris
You mean the Middle Ages.

In Ancient Times film advance knobs posed no such danger.
07-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Neither. The apprehensive tension that accompanies each pending shot is too much for my delicate psyche. I close both eyes & hope for the best.
07-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
I am "right-eyed," also known as right-eye-dominate. I close my left to shoot (both cameras and rifles), but I'm right-handed, too. My daughter is right-handed, but left-eyed. Makes for some interesting contortions when shooting a rifle.

How to tell which you are:

SportVue: Eye Dominance Test
I am also right eye dominant I close my left eye with cameras and rifles. so when I look away from the viewfinder for composition or other reasons its with my left eye.
07-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

In ancient times you viewed with your right eye, lest you have it poked out by the film advance lever.

Chris
*laugh* There was certainly that, too. Still shooting with a lot of *ahem* 'Middle ages' film cameras, it's never made retraining for the left eye seem to make much sense, even for when the right one gets tired. (In fact, with digital, I'm still not accustomed to not being able to hook my thumb behind the advance lever: feels a bit like riding without toe-clips sometimes. Also a little disconcerting when my Super A's lever twitches if I use the winder. (This never happens with my old Canons) I've been wondering if I could fashion some kind of a thumb-hook in lieu of a hand-strap for my 20d, though. )

Still. Don't 'peek through the viewfinder.' See. *Eyes* are for seeing. Viewfinders are for framing and focusing and such. What you see through the finder is only part of what you're doing. I steal a term from firearms training and call it 'boresighting' when someone's squinting into the finder and only seeing what's through there.
07-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Chris
Some of the Exakta bodies had left handed advance levers (V, VX, Varex IIa, Varex IIb etc.). I think it was Pentax that first put one on the right. I saw a left handed film winder on something else from the late 70s or 80s but can't remember if it was a Mamiya or what.