Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

If you know the spot or distance you're shooting you can pre-focus with AF (you can check the depth of field through the viewfinder if your camera supports that preview), then switch it over to manual focus so there's no lag as the camera AFs' when you want to shoot. Then you bring it up to your eye and shoot very quickly.

07-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Thanks for the video, that's a really interesting project and he's certainly good at it.
My personal taste is for more environmental portraits, so I'm not too keen on the 'stand them all up against the white background' - but I still have to say the result was effective for that style.
I agree, I like more environmental shot as well. I just like how he shows you how to approach people... they either go for it, or don't. I haven't had the chance or gumption to try this, but people aren't all anti-having their photo taken, especially when you approach them with a hefty looking camera. I think it makes some of them feel important. Silly people, we're just working on our game!
07-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hanamai Quote
I agree, I like more environmental shot as well. I just like how he shows you how to approach people... they either go for it, or don't. I haven't had the chance or gumption to try this, but people aren't all anti-having their photo taken, especially when you approach them with a hefty looking camera. I think it makes some of them feel important. Silly people, we're just working on our game!
I also think it's that because in a few of the takes he can be very confident, even very bossy towards some of the people (like the guy who is coming out the door). It's amazing what people will do if they're just told to (not that this is a very extreme example of that). I'm pretty sure I'd allow myself to be photographed if that happened. It's a great technique if what you want from your street portraits is for the consent of the subject, and maybe a 'set-up' photo like in the video. I'd be prepared for the odd (over)blunt refusal though.
07-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
Forum Member

Check out this video I found about a week ago, its perfect and very well done. Doesnt get easier than this!!!

YouTube - Street Portrait Photo How To

rollin

07-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Funnily enough, I had a street potrait taken of me today. I was out with my camera this morning and a guy with a Nikon came over, said hello, asked if I minded having my photo taken. I asked him about his street portrait project. He was just straight up and a nice guy.
08-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your responses so far. It's interesting to hear about your individual styles, what works and what sometimes doesn't.

@Gofour3: Good advice. I'll certainly make sure to do some research.

@Irek J: Great photo. If you have any more make sure to keep posting them.

@Hanamai: I watched the video and found it extremely intriguing. So intriguing I decided to go out and try it today. Finding the right spot, with good lighting, and consistent flow of people proved difficult at first, but it didn't take long to muster up the confidence and set up on a somewhat busy street. I still haven't decided if the photos were actually really that great, I'll let the people of this thread decide that when I post some here in a few hours. None the less, I had a great time, and met some friendly, nice people. Most of them weren't overly interested, but nobody was rude about it. Certainly something I'd consider trying again.

Once again, thanks a lot everyone. Please post your photos/flickr links of any street photography. I've been going out constantly with my Pentax trying all of your techniques and I'm having a great time. Keep posting
08-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Hi Peter,
there are a lot of good streetshooters on the forum.

Here are some threads and links, to get you started :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43981...eet-style.html

Darren in Taiwan ... or Somewhere Else

Here is an interesting video, but think you gotta be a born New Yorker to get away with it :
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/12/whaddaya-mean-n.html

08-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Jonson. The video about Bruce was really interesting. Takes a lot of confidence to shoot photos the way he does. It is obviously worth it though.

As promised earlier I've posted a few photos taken this morning using a technique displayed in a video posted on page 1 by Hanamai. You're never going to capture people acting entirely natural this way, but you do get to work with people you might not otherwise meet. The photos might not be fantastic and at the standard you'd usually see around here, but I'm proud of them and had a great time putting them together. These are two of my favourites.

First guy I asked!

Some other cool guy

Feel free to critique them. I've got fairly tough skin and am open to all of your ideas.
08-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Confidence is the most important thing, far more than equipment...I usually shoot film out in the street and even use disposable cameras...
08-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hey Peter, awesome you got out there trying it. Looks like you started well. For me, maybe a polariser and a greater depth of field would help improve your shots. Worth seeing what you think anyway.
08-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rollin Quote
Check out this video I found about a week ago, its perfect and very well done. Doesnt get easier than this!!!

YouTube - Street Portrait Photo How To

rollin
Wow! That's a great video!
08-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

In general in the USA, if you are in a public area - you can take pictures of anything. If this were not true, then all the "Entertainment" (and I use that term loosely) magazines would be out of business really fast. However, to the subject at hand.

When I attended a workshop the first days "assignment" was to take the picture of two people that you did not know. Other students, instructors etc. did not count. So one of the students asked - how do you normally get permission (we had to explicitly ask for the workshop)? The instructor said - paraphrased - "Walk down the street with your camera in your hand in front of you (I just hold mine). If you see someone and catch their eye - point to the camera - point to them - shrug your shoulders. If they smile take the image - if they seem interested, stop and talk, shoot more get to know them. If they wave you off - nod and go on - someone will smile.

Have I missed shots doing this? - Yes - big time. But respecting other people is what it is all about. It is best to get an OK rather than do something to p*ss someone off.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
08-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #28
K-9
Veteran Member

@ petercrane

Your shots are just portraits. Although you may have encountered and snapped them on the streets, these would not be considered street photography. They're portraits and if you didn't tell us where you took them, there's nothing to indicate they were taken on the street.

As far as street photography, my rule is if I have to ask or speak to the people, it's a shot I shouldn't be taking. I only shoot on the streets to capture scenes, and those within them. I don't pick or pull anyone out of the scenarios to the point they're the main focal point.
08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petercrane Quote
I love portraits, and I love taking them. Sometimes I see some interesting people on my travels and would love to take a photo of them. My question is, how do people usually approach strangers? Any interesting tactics?

I'd just prefer to not have to resort to a telephoto and a bush.

While we're here, is a cool video my friend made taken with the Canon 5D Mark 2. Unfortunately these are all actors, but it will at least give you some idea of what I'm going for (Not to mention this video is really great regardless).
Go to a crowded street and start off easy like these.

08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #30

@ petecrane:
That's great that you went out and tried that! Certainly an interesting way to get photos you'd otherwise not come by.