Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #76
Veteran Member

mi inglis, it not so gud you no?

08-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #77

My perhaps backward advanced newbie method

QuoteOriginally posted by Kornbread Quote
I want to get better at shooting in full manual mode, and I have a couple of questions.

1-Are there some general guidelines to getting a proper exposure? IE - If I'm at 100 ISO, f2.8, my shutter speed should be around ...
2-Are there some 'drills' or that I can run to help me get faster at properly adjusting my settings?

This can work, but for me I alway start with Manual mode and first consider the appropriate shutter speed needed for the given light. So if it is say..dusk and I figure I can hand hold a shot at 1/90th then I can consider what Aperture and ISO with work with the given light. If i want maximum depth of field so F 5.6 to F8 I may need to raise ISO to get proper exposure or make another choice. My starting point is usually shutter but it depends on the situation. It will take lots of experimentation to get better.
Another trick is to use P mode and see what the Camera guesses at and work subtractive from there. You may always adjust the Program line as well with the front dial favoring aperture or shutter.
It will also help to know what the metering modes effectively do matrix, center weighted and spot. Also what points of the scene to meter from Brightest, mid point or shadow. Try metering of off different points and using the AEL (exposure lock) to lock the setting and then take a pic of each highlight mid-tone or shadow. You will see the results for yourself which may make the biggest impact on your understanding as it always does for me. Sooner or later the shutter speeds and F stops will stop swirling around your brain and start to make sense. This will give you many more options. There is nothing wrong with any mode what is important is your understanding of the relationship between the exposure settings in any given mode.

Cheers
Roger
08-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DJEZRAJ Quote
It will take lots of experimentation to get better.
A quibble: I like to distinguish between experimentation and practice. I think it takes SOME experimentation and a lot of practice. Experimentation is what I do when I try to figure out a particular photographic problem that I know I don't really understand. Practice is what I do AFTER I've learned a principle from my experiments.

Experimentation teaches you something about theory. Practice gets that knowledge into your finger tips so you can use it confidently and unhesitatingly.

QuoteQuote:
Another trick is to use P mode and see what the Camera guesses at and work subtractive from there.
Roger, is switching to P in this case any different from hitting the green button while in M?

Will
08-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #79

Perfect Exposure

Perfect Exposure by Michael Freeman. I read the book and it taught me how to think about exposure. It's a great book.