Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

Nikon picture sharpening?

First All Thank You for the Birthday Note on my Computer

i have been useing a Pentax K10 for about 2 years now. i have been happy. I also have a Cannon FX i bought in 1964. i stopped useing it about 10 years ago as i got tired paying 200$ every time the thing froze up here in the salt air of Bremerton Wash.

I do out door photo work and make pine frames and sell such. But you know, every since i bought the k10 i have heard things about Nikon and Cannon being better. It just sat in my gut and gave me that dumb feeling.

I have a brother in law in Washing DC. He came out here 2 years ago to take pictures of Mt Rainier. He used my computer to down load 600 pictures to put then on disc to take home. I ignored his stuff for as i have 11,000 of my own to work with to sell. Well, my brother has been of down lately so i decided to sen him some of his pictures. I used my Lightroom to pull them up. I looked at them as said to myself,"These need touching up." After about sharping 8 of them, it hit me...... What am i doing sharping up Nikon pictures???? I know that my Pentax primes are sharper than my Zooms. And i don't know if he used Zoom or prime the days he was here 2 years ago. But,,,,, i do know that he used Nikon lenses. He never uses anything that isn't Nikon....

BBOOMM!!!! As far as i am concerned the LEGEND of Nikon Supreme is dust!!! I sampled many of his 600 photos and i found the same thing.... They all needed a little sharpening. He uses a tripod. He composes his shots well. I am Happy with my Pentax k10 with no more nagging gut ache!!! I cleaned up my brother-in-laws photo's and sent them to him with fond well wishs and said nothing about my compareing his Nikon to a Pentax k10. To you Pentaxian's," Ya Got Good Gear and Optics." Don't doubt it............

07-31-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Was he using Raw? Do you use Raw?

Raw files always need sharpening...
08-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah yes, this makes about thread #300 about "I shot next to a guy using Canon/Nikon and his pictures ended up looking like crap, go Pentax." Really, you'd think that sooner or later all us Canikonians would realize we're using underperforming garbage, but I guess we're just hardheaded.