Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shooting Débutante Models…A Few More Little Tips

If things are getting a bit stale when shooting a débutante model, what I often do is frame the image move my eye from the camera and say to the model that ” I want you to take a deep breath and break for a second…” It is often at that moment I take the shot and more often than not it’s a keeper. Another couple of techniques I employ is the close your eyes technique. I ask the model to close her eyes. I then either wait for her to freak out and open them, as they don’t know what is going on or I ask them to “OPEN!” at that moment the expression is usually out of the ordinary and their facial expression’s are really pretty amazing. As a result of this you get some really pretty dilated pupils.

Also try the “concentrate on squeezing your forefinger and thumb together and only think of that pressure or apply pressure to the right or left ball of your foot… or concentrate on a specific point on the wall and then scan the wall to the left or right. Watch what happens.* The models expression has less to do with her concentration on her pose than “why is he having me do this or this is strange etc…” and what you get is often really interesting.

I will sometimes ask them to drop something and pick it up or throw something up in to the air.* It can be an imaginary object or the real thing.* I will also ask them to go through the bag they are holding and look for the object that I have placed in it.* In the the look for my comb in my bag sequence, I will tell them not to look in the bag, just feel for it while looking in my general direction.* Some of the stuff you get can be really interesting.

Using a fan often gets some interesting results, that is if the hair stylist is OK with that.* Another little trick I sometimes employ is the placement of a mirror just to the right or left of me and facing the model so that she can see herself.* The model is more apt to experiment when she can get some positive visual feedback. I have gotten some pretty good images using this technique as well.

Good Luck and be Patient.

Benjamin Kanarek Blog Shooting Débutante Models…A Few More Little Tips

08-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tips
08-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff Ben.
You make it all look easy...
08-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, you are really good. These things make perfect sense given human reaction. It's a matter of hearing that they work that spurs me to more!

08-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

If things are getting a bit stale when shooting a débutante model, what I often do is frame the image move my eye from the camera and say to the model that ” I want you to take a deep breath and break for a second…” It is often at that moment I take the shot and more often than not it’s a keeper. ....
Benjamin Kanarek Blog Shooting Débutante Models…A Few More Little Tips
Not sure what you mean by "break". Do you mean stop inhaling or hold their breath? What always works for me is I ask them to take a deep breath, and then exhale like they are completely relieved or a pleasant feeling has come over them like they've just received a massage. Then, I always snap the shot on their exhale. This gives a very playful, erotic look on their face.
08-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having earlier demonstrated in one fashion or another that I can "see them" through the lens, a later suggestion that they can see my eye if they look back through the lens almost always gets interesting "eye contact" -- especially with children.

H2
08-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #7

I haven't done any model shooting yet but this sounds very interesting. Thank you!
Seems like a good way to relax both the model and the photographer, especially when both of them don't know what they're doing (talking about myself here)

08-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Very neat. My studio style is really basically stand-up comedy. Which is really of more use in a portrait-mill type situation than high fashion, though once you've got people relaxed and paying attention, it's easier to guide things in a more serious direction.

It's also a great way to cover for yourself when you're in someone else's studio or setup and don't know where anything is: I go directly into my Columbo impression if I have to root around for anything, especially with kids. (Kids love it, even if they don't know what it is. Their parents often do, though, and it's a good way to get people's heads out of the waiting room and into a more cheerful mood, which is usually what they want there.)

But a lot of that applies. Pretending some of your exposures are accidental (whether they are or not) and treating it like no big deal also helps get people relaxed, ...as does just making a bunch of exposures to get people to stop 'posing' (obviously not all circumstances are good for hamming it up as I like to,) ...generally, I like the 'performance' aspects of having people in front of cameras.
08-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #9

Good ideas!
08-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good tips, thanks Benjamin !