Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Formatting for print...

Need a little help.

I am having trouble formatting images for printing, specifically cropped or altered ones.

Part of my problem may be place I am getting these done. I just ran down to the local discount department store and used their kiosk... Stick in the USB drive and order the prints kind of deal.

A straight snap shot is easily printed. 4x6s come out great.

But, using photoshop I have altered and cropped some images, and wish to print a couple 5x7s and 8x10s. I set the image size to 8 inches by 10 inches, or 10x 14, etc... 300 dpi.

But, in the kiosk view, it crops the width, and I am told to select the area I want printed. What I want is the image I processed, not a cropped version of it. For a test I printed a 4x6 of one and it did in fact crop the edges.

So, my question is this:

Is an 8x10 truly 8 inches by 10 inches? Or 7.x inches by 10 inches? (and what's the width, really?) What is the real standard proportions of a picture that will fit in a standard frame size?

And, are all self service kisoks the same? That is, do they handle the images the same way insofar as cropping and sizing goes?

Where do you guys go for printing? How do you format for printing?

slinky