Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photographic Bravery

I am sitting here itching. You see, I decided I wanted to get some photos of butterflies in a field near our home. I've had chigger bites before and I knew there was some "risk," but when you want that photo, I tend to throw caution to the wind.

Anyway, I got a couple of photos, but I am still itching, a week later. So, I was wondering, what have you braved to get that special photo -- and was it worth it?

Obligate photo.

08-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Damn Brit

This is better of in Everything Else.
08-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ahh, gah, this is the side I don't like to think about with photography.

You see, all the stuff I post, with the exception of like 4 photos over the past 3 years, were taken in the wild. I once found six ticks on me in one week. I know the dangers associated with ticks, but sometimes I can't resist crawling into the grass for the shot, even if I didn't put on repellent before I left (which I do if I'm planning a shoot, but I take my camera EVERYWHERE).

But like I said, I now use all kinds of repellent and remember to spray even my shoes and bags before I leave.

And let's not talk about the busy highways I've pulled off of or the knee-high mud I've crawled through in alligator country (no one told us that the 8 mile circular track was flooded around mile 6, but there was no way we were turning back).....

And as long as I live to show it, it's ALWAYS worth it
08-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What's a chigger?

You guys put me off leaving this country - nothing like that here.

08-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A chigger is a small mite that bites and leaves itchy spots on your skin for along time afterward: Trombiculidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Edit: Some people call them "noseeums," because you never see them, only their handiwork.

Last edited by Rondec; 08-12-2009 at 06:35 PM.
08-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote

You see, all the stuff I post, with the exception of like 4 photos over the past 3 years, were taken in the wild. I once found six ticks on me in one week. I know the dangers associated with ticks, but sometimes I can't resist crawling into the grass for the shot, even if I didn't put on repellent before I left (which I do if I'm planning a shoot, but I take my camera EVERYWHERE).

But like I said, I now use all kinds of repellent and remember to spray even my shoes and bags before I leave.

And let's not talk about the busy highways I've pulled off of or the knee-high mud I've crawled through in alligator country (no one told us that the 8 mile circular track was flooded around mile 6, but there was no way we were turning back).....

sweeeet!!! you get more awesome each time i read a post of yours.

my story is from last weekend actually. me and the groom and groomsmen were out by the road making some photos by the limo and hummer. i was laying on my back behind the hummer. my head was sort of sticking in the road, we were in a rush. keeping my eye in the VF i opened up the aperture, raised the shutterspeed, and dropped the iso (flash was already turned all the way up).....anyway, i was dialing my settings for this difficult backlit shot as the sound of a bus came closer and closer. we were really pressed for time so i was going to just keep working till someone said something. the sound got louder and louder.....it sounded like it was coming right for my head!!!

i felt safe because of my proximity to the hummer and the guys weren't saying anything but that was damn spooky.
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
What's a chigger?

You guys put me off leaving this country - nothing like that here.
Think of the worst itch you've ever had and multiply by 100. Plus chiggers, while they will dig in anywhere, seen to have an affinity for areas of soft, sensitive tissue and tend to congregate where only baseball players will scratch in public.

I was helping with a survey/archeological dig on a burial mound on one of the North Florida barrier islands many years ago. The next day my wife counted something like 130 chigger bites between my scalp and toes. Burning my skin with a blowtorch was one of the alternatives I considered.

As far as getting the shot goes, I am terrified of heights but I was once hanging on a tree over about a 400 foot drop to get a shot down the face of a waterfall. Didn't even think about the heights until after.

CW

08-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote

There aren't often ticks around where I live - I really never used to consider them... then one day while shooting around a local pond, I looked down to find about 20 ticks on me!!! I flipped out as you can imagine... found a bare patch of ground and stripped down to... well... not much (no one was around ). It was kinda a nightmare scenario, but as far as I know, none of 'em bit me. I don't know anything about the tick lifecycle, but somehow I must have walked through a concentration of them... now I'm itching and feeling imaginary creepy crawlies all over me just thinking about it ...

I think the best "bravery" shot I've gotten is the one below, though I wasn't scared while getting the shot (though I was cautious)...

People react to this shot like I was risking my life, but it really wasn't that dangerous... the 10mm fisheye makes it look like a bigger drop than it is...
08-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #9

Being inserted into a hurricane disaster area - does that count? Well, I may be riding our hurricanes in the near future. Now, if I can convince the principles I need weather-sealed lenses that would make things more interesting/affordable.
08-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

Um yeah ticks and squitos and the usual assortment of biting bugs. Once after an ice storm I went onto a bridge over a frozen river to shoot that scene and when I turned to go there was a bus coming one way, a car coming the other way, only about 2 feet between the edge of the road (line) and the concrete railing. I had my camera and the road was icy so it was a major decision. Run and risk slipping on the ice and getting run over? Or make myself as small as possible and hope neither the bus nor the car skidded on the icy bridge and smash me against the rail. All was fine in the end but it was a tad nerve-racking for a few there.

And yeah, always worth it.

Other than that it's the usual assortment of speeding cars and taxis in NYC and Washington DC, hanging out windows in traffic and that sort of thing. Oh and getting too close to the ropes at a boxing match and getting nailed by them when the boxers went into the ropes, the ropes went into my lens and my camera went into my face. That kinda hurt.
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

So hows about posting one of these brave photos in the scavenger hunt thread over in the photo games section, so we can keep the thread going?
08-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
So hows about posting one of these brave photos in the scavenger hunt thread over in the photo games section, so we can keep the thread going?
Having a houseful of boys I can quickly see that turning into some kind of game of "jackass" (like the tv show) where people do increasingly stupid and dangerous things to get a daring shot in the name of one-upmanship.
08-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #13

Bravery ?????? I dunno!

Would standing on the skids of a helicopter making final approach into a "hot LZ" qualify? Did that many times back in the day. Altitude about100 ft, forward airspeed about 60 MPH and holding on with one hand and a Leica M3 in the other ..... Now that's a RUSH!
08-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Wish I had a weathersealed Pentax that day...

Not a Pentax, and no match for Hillerby's stories, but I thought that I'd share...

08-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
So, I was wondering, what have you braved to get that special photo -- and was it worth it?
Leeches.

I'll let you know if it was worth it when I get the film back.