Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
tips for off white wall paint?

i recently shot a portrait set in a home with nice off white paint. on site i didn't really notice much of a color cast from the clothes, but during editing it became a total nightmare.

other than shooting up the wall with a slave light, is there a good solution within photoshop that can be turned into a batch? i ended up using color balance adj. layers, but it took forever and it's still kinda random as diff web servers generate jpgs from the color corrected pngs.

08-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
i recently shot a portrait set in a home with nice off white paint. on site i didn't really notice much of a color cast from the clothes, but during editing it became a total nightmare.

other than shooting up the wall with a slave light, is there a good solution within photoshop that can be turned into a batch? i ended up using color balance adj. layers, but it took forever and it's still kinda random as diff web servers generate jpgs from the color corrected pngs.
I don't have the book with me but photoshop cs3 for digital photographers has a great tutorial on removing color casts. It's about finding a neutral gray and working from there. If the baby is quite tonight I'll see if I can scan or type it in for you. In most cases it's a fairly simple process. What version of PS are you using?

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 08-13-2009 at 01:44 PM.
08-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm a little confused about the problem and idea of "shooting up the wall with a slave light". Is the issue color cast from flash light bounced off of off-white walls being different than the direct flash light?
08-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmm, how to explain...

shot manual white balance, balanced to the strobes and white wall. when moving different people into the scene and moving around it a little i've noticed a yellow shirt reflects on the wall different than a blue shirt. a black shirt was the best 'cause it had no influence on the wall not that far behind the person.

flashing the wall would cancel that out...

so, at the end once i've uploaded to flickr and it's generated some jpgs .. some look like they were awb/random while it's totally influenced by the clothes..

looking at em again, 1 particular yellow shirt is the source of all of my problems

Last edited by attack11; 08-13-2009 at 02:01 PM.
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i decided to reprocess from the raws with new batch settings as a solution.
08-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It helps if you have the space to get the subjects further away from the background.