Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any Tips for fewer duds?

I hate to sound as of this is a I'm lost and need it but I do need it,as a mate asked me to shot his grand-daughters christening and I need a template of safe setting for indoors church and restaurant afterwards.I am planning to use a FA 50mm f/1.4 and possibly a 70-200 f/2.8 or 17-70mm.I know that practice is practice but to build on everyone's expertise I thought that I may ask for your help.Also in my arsenal is a metz 48 flash.

What to use as in EV indoors is it +.7 or -.3 (depending on available lighting), as well as is it useful to have ISO on auto to achieve a reasonable shutter speed , the aperture is f/13 acceptable for DOF.Also want to know if spot metering works better than centre weighted.As the day is short only 4 hrs I want to provide as many keeper or close to possible(I will do some PP).

I realise that this sounds like a newbie asking for help but in some ways I am a newbie

cheers

08-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Get your eyes tested.
08-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mate, I'd be in a similar situation as you if I were asked to do such a job in promptu, but my take is you can't really have a fail-safe setting for all the different conditions (other than manual mode in constant lighting).

Will you be close enough to the action to warrant taking the 17-70? Or will you need some wide whole-church captures in the mix? If so, I'd be taking all 3 lenses if it's not too cumbersome to lug around.

Do some chimping early on with some test shots in the church to get the parameters right (balancing Av, Tv and ISO according to your needs). Then switch to M mode with those chosen settings to ensure you get consistent results, and switch between M and X (or even Av) modes for ambient and flash light captures respectively (just a suggestion that may speed up your readiness for the next shot).

You'll end up taking heaps of shots, many of which are either too similar to another one you've taken, or are off in some way and are destined to be canned. Don't worry - it's not the percentage of keepers you get that's important, but rather the total number of keepers and that they capture the essence of the day.

All the best in that.
08-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Get your eyes tested.
Your nasty Gary I have glasses already

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Mate, I'd be in a similar situation as you if I were asked to do such a job in promptu, but my take is you can't really have a fail-safe setting for all the different conditions (other than manual mode in constant lighting).

Will you be close enough to the action to warrant taking the 17-70? Or will you need some wide whole-church captures in the mix? If so, I'd be taking all 3 lenses if it's not too cumbersome to lug around.

Do some chimping early on with some test shots in the church to get the parameters right (balancing Av, Tv and ISO according to your needs). Then switch to M mode with those chosen settings to ensure you get consistent results, and switch between M and X (or even Av) modes for ambient and flash light captures respectively (just a suggestion that may speed up your readiness for the next shot).

You'll end up taking heaps of shots, many of which are either too similar to another one you've taken, or is off in some way and is destined to be canned. Don't worry - it's not the percentage of keepers you get that's important, but rather the total number of keepers and that they capture the essence of the day.

All the best in that.

Thanks Ash I will take that on board

cheers

08-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm afraid your gonna need your fastest glass and your still need fairly high ISOs resturants and certainly church aren't the best light places.

If it's a nice day do a few outside the church or in the park, these could the best keepers rather than the gloomy church ones.
08-16-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im leaning towards the fa 50mm(In church) and iso limited to 800 and see how it pans out

cheers
08-16-2009, 04:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Go to the church with "proxis", and do some test shots. Make sure the lighting in the church is gone be the same as the real event before doing your test.

08-16-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Done the test shots with the couple this morning so I have a range to work with and the time of day was as close to the event

cheers
08-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I need a template of safe setting for indoors church and restaurant afterwards.
A good basic starting point is ISO 1600, f/2.8, and 1/30" shutter speed. If you are using a lens that opens wider than f/2.8 and don't mind the extremely shallow DOF that results, by all means, do so in order to get faster shutter speed or lower ISO.

What mode you shoot in, how much EV compensation you dial in - none of that matters as long as you understand your goal in terms of exposure. That is, it is possible to work in Av, Tv, or P mode - although I prefer M - and get the exposure you want. The trick is in thinking in those terms: "what exposure do I want", not in terms of "what settings do I need to make so I don't have to know anything about exposure". If you know what exposure you wnt - and like I said, start with what I suggested above, test, and see if that's close - then use whatever mode you feel comfortable with using in order to force the camera to use that exposure.

I prefer M because the camera won't change exposure on me for any reason; if the light changes, I know to change exposure. If you'd rather have the camera change exposure when the light changes, then use one of the more automatic modes, but select the aperture, shutter speed, and/oor ISO you know you want, and apply whatever compensation turns out to be necessary to get the other parameter(s) where you want for the light as it is now. That way it will "float" with the light.

QuoteQuote:
What to use as in EV indoors is it +.7 or -.3 (depending on available lighting), as well as is it useful to have ISO on auto to achieve a reasonable shutter speed , the aperture is f/13 acceptable for DOF.
f/13? Only if you plan on using the flash, and even then, it might be iffy - it might require a higher ISO than you really should need when shooting with flash. But available light photography is usually f/2.8 and wider; that's the only way to get shutter speeds in remotely usable territory.

QuoteQuote:
Also want to know if spot metering works better than centre weighted.
Only if you know how to use spot metering. that is, you have to find something close to 18% gray to meter off, lock exposure, then shoot. Or else constantly change your exposure compensation according to whether you are metering off omething darker or lighter than 18% gray. Spot and metering is not something you use casually; it is for situation when you know exactly what you are doing, how it works, and have time to use it properly.
08-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Marc always has good advice.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Done the test shots with the couple this morning so I have a range to work with and the time of day was as close to the event
But that is the best thing you could have done.
08-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Surefire method for fewer duds..... take fewer pictures.
08-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're funny raymeedc,
To add to Marc's suggestion with flash - consider keeping the ISO bumped up a little (400 or even 800), especially in those moments when a quick series would be needed, as this will ensure you won't discharge your flash so much to require a long recycle.

And you'd rarely need any more DOF than what f/8 could give you if focusing anywhere from 5m onwards. Closer than 3m and you may notice some OOF areas in the background at f/8, but otherwise you should be right.
08-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If it is high ISO and low light, spot metering.

Churches are usually built with an emphasis on the vertical. Portrait mode might give more balance in shots that place the people in the church environment.

At a restaurant, 50mm is going to be pretty long. I think at least 24mm is needed there.

Good luck and hope you have fun.

Thank you
Russell
08-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all especially as this question was very open ended.I will prevail

cheers