Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The optional 'eye piece'

I am considering one of these after-market 'eyes pieces' to fit over the viewfinder on my K10D:
Eye Cup - Canon Nikon Sony Minolta Pentax Olympus for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

I have poor eyesight and wear glasses, but I always try and wear contact lenses when I'm using my camera, because glasses get in the way and don't let me get close to the viewfinder and have the camera lens' view as my only view. Sometimes I can't read the details eg shutter spped the viewfinder view gives you in the K10D. I was wondering if anyone else has used/uses these eye pieces and what your experiences are with them? Do they stop you getting in close to the viewfinder? Thanks.

08-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, that's just an eyecup, it shouldn't pose much of a problem.

(Never used one of the ones with all the adapters, but it should be OK without your glasses.)

A lot of folks like the magnifying eyepieces by Pentax or KPS, though how much they tend to make the display harder to see seems to vary by how they fit a given person.
08-16-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
With most eye cup extension pieces, the eye is further away (back) from the viewfinder, so you may need to move your eye about or look around the viewfider to see all the data.
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That just blocks out unwanted light into your eye or viewfinder so you can concentrate more on your subject.
Maybe you should be more looking into this: PentaxWebstore Magnifying Eyepiece O-ME53

This magnifies the viewfinder by 1.5X and I have heard that it really helps a lot with the focusing..plus it keeps your nose a little away from the LCD screen as it does not sit totally flush to the body unlike with just the regular cover.

08-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have used an eye cup similar to that on both my Canon T90 and Pentax K100d for years. I wouldn't be without it.

It excludes all extraneous light and makes focusing considerably easier.

Although I wear glasses and have tried one with a lens to suit my prescription I find I prefer not to use that one. I can use the eye cup with or without my glasses although without is a little better.

I purchased mine on the internet from jiakong DIGITAL for $5.40 US. It included adaptors for Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax eyepieces.
It was shipped very promptly from China.

Be sure to specify your camera to make sure you get the correct adapter.

Mickey
09-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Assume that it is nice supple rubber. Looks it doesn't it?

It's hard, relatively unyielding, sharp rubbery plastic (with the stress on HARD and UNYIELDING).

Thing is awful. If you can find one in rubber... they were made one upon a time, and you can find one that fits Pentax, do it. This one is a pass.

woof!
09-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
That just blocks out unwanted light into your eye or viewfinder so you can concentrate more on your subject.
Maybe you should be more looking into this: PentaxWebstore Magnifying Eyepiece O-ME53

This magnifies the viewfinder by 1.5X and I have heard that it really helps a lot with the focusing..plus it keeps your nose a little away from the LCD screen as it does not sit totally flush to the body unlike with just the regular cover.
I love mine, yes, it does help a lot when focusing.

09-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
I love mine, yes, it does help a lot when focusing.
It is similar in design to the one that came with my K100d.
It does very little to block out annoying extraneous light.
And what a price!

Mickey