Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #1

Correct Exposure on the Beach

When I shoot pictures of my kids at the beach the shots are always to bright. Any suggestions on how I can adjust for this within the camera?

Thanks

05-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
When I shoot pictures of my kids at the beach the shots are always to bright. Any suggestions on how I can adjust for this within the camera?

Thanks
Well, depending on how you go about it, that could be a lengthy response, so I'll suggest that your "exposure compensation" function would probably be one of the quicker ways to do something proactive about it...
05-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I typically will dial in minus EV from .5 to 1.0 in high light conditions. It really depends a lot on the overall light and subject matter.
Surprisingly, in film days, the tendency was more toward under exposure rather than over.
Another problem I have discovered with my K10 is that in high ambient light when I am chimping, otherwise good exposures look too light to me. Then, after I adjust accordingly, I later find that the origonal exposure was more correct. Not always but more often than not.

Walt
05-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
well, the forum was being updated so I just repeated the above two posters.

another suggestion would be to try the "snow/surf" mode in the scene program.

(but check your histogram to be sure you're really overexposing those shots - on my K110D, even turning the LCD brightness down, it looks too bright to me - but the histogram tells a different story..

I also use the "show bright portion" option, so the blown out highlights blink when the image is shown on the LCD screen - then I know for sure what's blown out and what still has detail.

Last edited by khardur; 05-15-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: cut out redundant stuff
05-16-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
I typically will dial in minus EV from .5 to 1.0 in high light conditions. It really depends a lot on the overall light and subject matter.
Surprisingly, in film days, the tendency was more toward under exposure rather than over.
Another problem I have discovered with my K10 is that in high ambient light when I am chimping, otherwise good exposures look too light to me. Then, after I adjust accordingly, I later find that the origonal exposure was more correct. Not always but more often than not.

Walt
i have the same experience as yours. i guess the LCD in the k100d adds some .5 or .7 EV to the actual exposure, or the actual camera itself underexposes, as what you said about the film cameras. that's why i've learned, just recently, to slightly overexpose my images in the camera so that when i transfer it on lightroom or photoshop the exposure would be correct.
05-16-2007, 04:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Try taking your meter reading from the sunny blue sky

If you don't already own it, I highly recommend you purchase Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson.
05-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I'll be doing my shooting with my K10D this year vice using my *istD. I'll try setting the .EV and seeing what that looks like. Gotta love the flexibility with digital to be able to see the results so quickly.

MPrince, I do have the book Understanding Exposure, I'll have to re-read it.

Thanks again
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's funny, if i leave the cam on auto my beach/snow photos are always too dark as the camera sees a bright image and stops down. I dial in a + (plus) compensation, not - (minus) .

05-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
Arpe,

I get the exact opposite. I'm always fighting the suns reflection off the ocean and the sand trying to get the correct exposure. I'm going to bring a polarizing filter to see if that makes a difference..

Shawn
05-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

That should help.
05-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have to agree with Dan.

use the histogram, look at the shots, and adjust only your exposure compensation with the histogram in mind.

Using the display is very misleading and is prone to error due to ambient light.

the other way to look at things, especially with the K10 is to set the over/under exposure warning on, on the display. it shows red for over exposure and you can see what highlights are burned out