Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
emr

LensRentals.com article "State of the SLR Market 2009"

I'm not sure if this has been posted before. LensRentals.com - State of the SLR Market -2009 provides some interesting evaluation of today's SLR market from people in the business.

QuoteQuote:
Olympus actually makes more money in medical imaging than in consumer cameras and the medical division should be much more recession proof than digital imaging. One would assume they would protect that business at the expense of the camera division if necessary. Pentax is a moderate sized division of Hoya. Even within the Pentax division, much of the revenue comes from medical imaging equipment, so one would assume they would behave similarly to Olympus.
So their analysis reflects what some posters here think: price hikes probably have a lot to do with yen's rate and that other imaging departments can be much more important that cameras and lenses in the long run.

08-31-2009, 07:26 AM   #2

Interesting read. Thanks for the link.
08-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, and well written. It sounds like the camera market have developed much like the computer market: 20 years ago a small local shop could make a good profit on selling computers, now most computers are sold over the web by companies with hugh turn-overs and little profit per computer. Instead, the best profit is in user-support, courses and to some degree in assesoires. Just like the many small camerashops that either went down, or today lives on through user-suport (that is picture printing etc), some assesoires, and with just a few cameras in the window for show. I think most modern electronic industries have gone the same way, for example mobile phones.
09-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that was an interesting read. In the couple of weeks I spent patiently waiting for my tax refund last spring, I watched the prices on a couple of lenses I was planning to buy shoot up well beyond what I had planned. I ended up purchasing one used, the other put on hold.

I read several posts at that time complaining about the horrible price increase Hoya had imposed on us and the talked of switching brands. Judging from this article, it appears that Canon and Nikon users got nailed big time. I think many of us expected to see prices drop as the recession settled in, not large increases. I still think the Pentax prices are very good compared to the other guys, even if some of my planned purchases are on hold for now until I can swing the price or find what I want used.

I should add that my comments are based on the US prices as were the opinions of the article writer. In other countries it may be a whole different story. The lens I ended up buying used was the DA 10-17. The price went up about $100. That was still a hefty increase, around 25%. Some posts have mention their prices have doubled in their countries.